Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

I'm too busy to play at the moment. House shopping Moving

fruittropics

• Member ID:  1461
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  157
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  1333
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Device:  Windows

My hubby and I are looking and buying a house and should be moving by the end of this year so it's been crazy.

I haven't played much and wouldn't be until this all settles. We're in the midst of two negotiations as of yesterday.

When it does, if anyone wants to come by for BBQ/ pool party please BYOB!

I would appreciate any tips on housebuying, furnishing, insurances, blah etc since this is our first home I'm a noob and practically going in blind relying on the real estate agent for EVERYTHING including inspectors and lawyer etc. Something I'm gambling on to not get ripped off.

See you all soon! :)

Oh in case I don't see you all till 2011, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!! :)

• Member ID:  839
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1334
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  7776
  • Birthday:  07/17/1958

As a Home Inspector, I would give the following advice. A Home Inspector is only responsible for what he can see. If something is intentionally hidden, then you wouldn't know about that part of the house. They are not supposed to remove anything in order to look at something.

The good part of an inspection is that you find out about Electrical, Plumbing, Roofing, Foundation, Sub-floor and the roof structure. But an inspector can miss a lot. An inspector is actually not even required to get on the roof or crawl under the house if there isn't enough clearance. So a lot of things could be missed, but that is not the inspectors fault.

Here in the US, there is only 8 states that even have requirements to be an Inspector. Here in Washington, you pay the $45 for a Business License and you can be an inspector. No training or any requirements.

So make sure that you get a certified inspector. They are not government certified, they are certified by the fact that they belong to the American Society of Home Inspectiors. (or equivelant in Canada). That means they have done at least 250 inspections in order to join the ASHI.  

Good luck, just use your instincts and don't be fooled by some fast talking salesman. Ask for references from everybody that you deal with. Sometimes there is a reason why things are to good to be true.

• Member ID:  77
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Followers:  111
  • Topic Count:  1018
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7527
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Achievement Points:  69486
  • Days Won:  47

Yes Fruittropics get yourself an inspector.Then come to Windsor, Ontario Cnada. iYou will find the best deals in the country.You will pay 2 -3 times more for a place near GTA than down here.But this depends on where you guys live and work in Canada.Good luck.

Thanks Guys!! Your inputs are invaluable! :)

--> Bushape, I think I'm going with the Real estate agent's recommendation for inspector because he's an engineer himself I'm thinking he knows anything the inspector would miss. This agent was also recommended to me by the mortgage broker. These references all started with my Fedex guy. Love Fedex for that hahaha. Yay for Fedex. (UPS sucks, sorry UPS but you always surprise me with effing brokerage fees + what nots that sometimes cost more than the item I bought)

--> JohnnyDos, yeah I know it gets better and I'll get more for my money but Windsor is crazy far for anyone :P. As is, I'm moving from North York to Pickering/Ajax. That's as far as I'll go. We both work downtown Toronto so anything farther, the traffic and travel is just going to kill us.

Surprised OH!! I just saw my new medals!! Smile