Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

looking for some advice

Greasy

• Member ID:  1981
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  121
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  930
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/08/1992

ok well my bday is coming up(turning 19) in about a month and i tend to get a good deal of money for it(abt 400$) and me my girlfriend and another couple are thinking about moving out of all of our parents houses and splitting the rent of an apartment... i found a 2 bedroom 2 bath for 715 a month... i and the girl of the other couple are still in high school(senior year) but other 2 graduated last year meaning they can work normal but me and friend have to work around school... i feel like we can really pull this off and live comfortably... but i am reaching out to you, my fellow idiots... for any advice on how to save money or how to go about pulling this off with school? i am still young and would like to hear from you all who have done passed my experience by many years.. i thank you all in advance for helping me out in these life changing times.

the greaseman

• Member ID:  809
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  41
  • Topic Count:  251
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2835
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Achievement Points:  20374
  • Birthday:  06/25/1979
  • Device:  Windows

honestly dont try to do that yet. it is hard enough when all parties involved work full time but to have half of you trying to go to hs and work and keep up a house will be daunting. it will probably affect your school. plus its your senior year, you need to try and enjoy it. best of luck to you though

i wish i could wait until the end of the school year but i just cant take living at home anymore and i have weighed what options i have and this seems to be the best... i have a job with a family business that pays 8 bucks and hour and i can get atleast 6 hours a day after school every week day... and only one who doesnt have a reliable job where they are a respected employee(not getting sacked anytime soon) is my gf but she has hookups at a baby clothes store and she is going to try to use her DD jugs to get a job a hooters..i along with most of this group cant stand our home lives anymore and we have tried everything.. and to keep myself from harming me i think this is best.. i have already attempted suicide once back a year and a half ago and im slowly creeping back to that point and i need out before it is too late... i can handle school and a job... and its just until end of school year when i go off to college my great uncle and dad are paying for tuition books and apartment so will be set for that...

• Member ID:  934
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  832
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Achievement Points:  5656
  • Birthday:  08/16/1960

Eating out is very expensive. Learn to cook. You eat out for $10 or buy 2lbs hamburger meat and two boxes of HB Helper for about $8. You save $2 and feed 6 people.

Curb your alcohol/smoking habit. Cut back as best you can.

Do a full load of laundry instead of two small ones.

Turn off lights!!!!! Replace incandesent bulbs with flouesent. The flouesent cost more but will pay for themselves in about a years.

If possible, check your electrical cost per kilowatt hour and shop around if you have a few companies around.

Budget your money. Make a calander with  ALL of your bills (including smokes). LOOK AT IT EVERY DAY! It will help you keep your mind on your money.

Resist the urge to party every nite.

Try to have $5 left on Friday (or your payday). This gives you a weekly goal that is fairly easy to keep.

Pay your bills on time. Avoid late fees.

Do you REALLY need 300 cable channels?

Shop for cheapest internet/cable packages.

Find out how much EVERYONE will earn and make it clear as to how to pay bills. 4 people in house so all bills divided by 4 or "I don't watch TV! I'm not paying for it!" Keeps trouble and stress out of your life.

Walk to the store if possible. Don't make unnecessary trips.

AVOID the corner store if possible!! Go to Wal-mart or other big chain to buy groceries.

Avoid microwave food if possible. Learn to cook.

Set up a schedule for all chores.

Avoid pets and other unneeded items until your sure you can meet your monthly goals.

Try some of the cheaper colas if you drink a lot. I like orange soda. Sunkist 2liter is $1.89 while Wal-mart cheapie is 75 cents and I like it better.

Save your left overs for lunch the next day.

If you do need help, many churches and other organizations will pay a bill.

Look into food stamps if needed.

Try to make a list of meals for the week and make a shopping list. It will help reduce impulse buying at the store and reduce your overall cost. Also helps eliminate the second trip to the store.

Clip coupons if you can get a free paper. If there is a coupon for $1 off Shrimp (or other food), buy just enough that you have no out of pocket expense. Example..Shrimp $4.00 lb..... coupon $1 off.... buy 1/4 lb......1/4 of $4 is $1......cost eliminated by coupon.FREE SHRIMP!!!.   Do it two or three times and you get ALOT OF FREE SHRIMP!

Dont look at the price of things. Look at how much it cost per ounce. Example.......Wal-mart where I shop has two different pizzas. One is 97 cents the other is 89cents. The difference is the 89 cent one is much smaller but in a box about the same size as the other. There is a tag beside the price that says price per ounce. The 89cent pizza cost more per ounce but has a lower advertised price. Hope I made that clear.

Anyway good luck on your venture... and sorry for the long post.

• Member ID:  222
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  88
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3846
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Achievement Points:  25628
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/05/1968
  • Device:  Windows

Greasy, really, Dark is right, if you can at all put up with it until the end of the year, that would be your best option.  I remember when I was in H.S. and thought that I could go out on my own and make it.  There are a lot of expenses that you probably don't think about. After rent, there is electical, phone, cell phone, cable, internet (for gaming), water, and that is before you eat anything......how much do you eat?  also, since it is your sr. year, you will want to go out and have fun and not work 30 hours a week.   Although, if you move out, you might as well work all you can, because you will not have the money to go out and have much fun.  Then there are things like car insurance, renters insurance, etc. etc.  All those things really add up.  Plus, you will have to pay taxes on the money that you make, FICA, Medicare tax, etc etc.......  

Think long and hard before you make a decision like that.  If it is a health issue where you are having trouble dealing with things, maybe you can go to the doc and get some meds or at least talk to someone once in a while outside of your family.  That is some serious shit and it might be a good idea to see a school counselor or an outside counselor that will listen to your issues and help you deal with them.  Moving out might even make things worse......

Whatever you decide, good luck to you!!  I am glad to hear that you are not thinking of leaving school too.  Stay in school so that you can make more than $8 an hour!!!

• Member ID:  19
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  101
  • Topic Count:  318
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4444
  • Content Per Day:  0.82
  • Achievement Points:  29399
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  02/29/1968
  • Device:  iPhone

Good stuff from Yoda... 

You better make sure you know those other two are committed to sticking with it.. like staying in the apartment. It will be tough if you lost half your rent. You guys need to have a signed agreement on how your are going to handle the rent. Friends is friends, but business is business. 

Also, it's tough for young couples to live together. If you are home, and the girl from the other couple is home.. and the others are not.... .well.. it can get complicated. Be careful!!!! That's the fastest way you could find yourself out on your ass (without a girlfriend).

You need to know what you're getting into. Rent is one thing, but all the rest starts to add up QUICK. That $400 bucks you are talking about would only be 2 months rent (your share). You gotta eat, pay the light bill, gas, insurance, clothes, and misc. It is SO expensive to live these days. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just know that it takes a lot of cash to get by.

Last thing.. you are growing up, pretty much grown (but I know you don't feel grown up).. If you move out on your own, and are living with this girl...All grown up like...  DO NOT mess up and get her preggers. Wow.. you think you don't have money now.. have a kid! I love my children, but they are money-eating machines.

Good Luck to you greasy. I hope this helps bring you some happiness and is a good experience for you. 

• Member ID:  934
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  832
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Achievement Points:  5656
  • Birthday:  08/16/1960

Apparently While I was typing your other post popped up. I agree with Pigdog. Stay at home if at all possible. STAY IN SCHOOL!!!!. It may not seem important now but it shows that you were responsible enough to finish.

If you do move out read my post and keep up on your calendar. Hopes and prayer to you.

• Member ID:  2313
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  330
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  4924
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Achievement Points:  33897
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  05/26/1974

if u do it b4 the end of the year you would probably makin a mistake i tried it and didnt work for i ended up rt back home. you dont need to do it with another couple either that hardly ever works believe me i ve been there and done it. work round school now save ur money find good job after school get a place of ur own at all cost livin with other people might seem ok even if u are good friends in the end it could cost ur friendship trust its happened to me on couple different occasions. like i said it never works living with other people no matter how close u are to them. and yes u better learn how to cook alot cheaper than eating out. good luck no matter what u decide just think school year will be over b4 u know it. save money while u at home then after school you will have enough to get set up in ur own place and have a car. have great school year and good luck buddy

thanks for the advice guys i wish i could stay home and wait it out... but unless something drastic changes in the next 2 or so months i wont be able to.. and about staying in school... trust me i will no matter what.. i am taking college classes calculus, statistics, and chemistry... i have the test scores and decent enough grades to where i have a chance at getting into UF and if not im going to florida tech and majoring in chemical engineering hoping to get my masters.... trust me my iq is about 160 im not going to piss gods gift to me down the drain by dropping out of school