Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Getting the Best Deal on a New Gaming Rig

CrazyCoder

• Member ID:  21114
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  70
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  634
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Here are a list a possible examples of were you could get the best deal on your next rig.

#1 Used gaming rig.

Lets say someone has a rig you want but only thing wrong with is video card is a junker or needs a transplant to another case. If the rig doesn't require tons of steps to Frankenstein to your liking this is something to consider.

#2 Buying the guts

Perhaps someone is sell CPU, memory,  and motherboard together. This would rule at trial and error for parts not working. Likely all the parts would work, and you'd pay 50% or less then retail.

#3 Turn Regular PC into Budget Gamer

Lets say you like the Dell XPS 8300/8700, you could throw in a Dell Branded video card (Radeon or Geforce) or compatible third party card. It would have to be a mid range card (if keeping same case) and you may need to upgrade PSU. But you'd save on OS license costs and trial and error.

#4 Roll the Dice

You could buy a gaming rig with broken video card or missing some parts, if the price is right. This would be somewhat risky but if costs are low enough, the benefits out-way to risks.

#5 Build New

You have to take all costs into consideration. You must factor in splurging on fancy hand-painted cases or ultra expense CPUs will add up. I'd have to advise you to keep the total budget within reason. If you shell out 1k for gaming rig, you might be stuck waiting another 6 years before stepping up to the next rig. Instead of every 4 years if you keep the budget reasonable. 

userbenchmarks is a great site for comparing CPUs and GPUs. As you see many times there, Intel kicks the snot out of AMD CPUs. But those FX 6000s and 8000s are somewhat powerful.

#6 Rebuild

Two examples of what you may run into.

A) You have fairly current parts but need fast/more RAM or better GPU or better CPU (jump from i3 to i7 ect.) In example A , You just swap out some of the guts for new guts. Depending on case design you may not have to fully disassemble to get this to work. You should factor in GPU clearance if upgrading or go the mean and lean route (GTX 950 or Radeon ITX/Compact models). Sometimes you may need a psu upgrade but if it's a single GPU card rig, you'll need around 430-550 watts.

B) You have a system around 4 years old but don't want to 100% new build. You have a really nice case and good psu. Maybe you'll save the large HDD + ODD but the inner guts gotta go (motherboard, cpu, ram, gpu ect.) In example A you only added and remove some guts, in B most guts are replaced. Which adds to the rebuild costs some more.

Advice:

*Avoid A Series APUs for gaming, they are far too weak compared to FX and Core Series processors

*One single powerful card trumps many weaker cards (SLI and Crossfire is a rip off for budget rigs)

*Bigger always isn't better; A Full Tower server case might look cool, but a Cuboid case might move air far better (HAF XB, Cuboids, APEVIA QPACK ect.)

*Do you really need a GTX 780? Sure a GTX 950/960 can't compare but lean and mean is an option.

*Avoid splurging on non crucial stuff, you don't need gold certificated PSU, hand-painted case, and four 1tb HDD's in a budget rig.

*If you gotta splurge do it on CPU, Motherboard, and GPU

*Check the wiring diagram for motherboard, find out what order to assemble parts into case (if provided).

*Water Cooling is not feasible for budget rigs; find a case will good ventilation, and a GPU that doesn't act like a furnace.

*ATX vs MATX, pick MATX if it's got all PCI-Express slots. If you need more slots go ATX.

*ITX? Fine if it's got onboard MSATA WIFI and x16 PCIe Video Card slot.

*AIO vs Giant Heat Sink. The Giant Heat Sink wins due to reliability and being almost on par with AIO's.

Edited by Warmonger

• Member ID:  2048
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  6689
  • Content Per Day:  1.37
  • Achievement Points:  48999
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  05/30/1967
  • Device:  Windows

id reevaluate what you have  and can currently keep to use in new build then start  with budget -many great budget builds online just google em..best build for whatever dollars.......300/500/600800/1000 and up

gl

Will revise OP with,  #6 Rebuild. Like Damage-inc said, you could actually make minor upgrades such as CPU, RAM, and Video Card. Or save some of the guts like the HDD's + Case + PSU +ODD/Card Readers and find new guts (Motherboard + CPU +CPU heatsink + RAM + New Case Fans ect.)

Updated OP.

Also want to throw in that generally in a Intel vs AMD cpu battle, Intel always tends to release the latest and greatest stuff then AMD plays catch up. When AMD does finally release something comparable it is obsolete but bigger bang for the buck.

I don't want to cram Intel or AMD down anyone throat, I love my I7 2600k but, if you could get a really good deal on a FX 8350 don't let me talk you out of it.

1) My first gaming rig back in early 2000s was a Socket 478 P4 Northwood with a cheapo Geforce 6200.  If I could do it over, I'd pick AMD Socket 939 with PCI-Express 1.0, a better case with better ventilation, Modular PSU (back when everyone feared that they were flops). I'd pick a better upper mid range card instead of Geforce 6200 The cost of LGA 775 was too high at this time, not really an option.

Specs would have been: AMD 939, Dual Core CPU, 2-4GB RAM, Geforce 7800, 250-500gb HDD ect.

Budget was around $400-500. Stayed within budget at but didn't get most bang for buck.

2) My second gaming rig was a AM2+ Athlon 64 6000+ with Geforce 265 SLI (later switched to single 9800+ GTX 1GB) in a pricey Stacker 830 SE case. If I could do it over. I would buy a $100 HAF 922 or HAF 912 over $200 Stacker 830. I'd likely pick a LGA 775, with ATX Size and single powerfully video card. Core 2 Quad would have eaten a AM2+ Athlon 6000+ for lunch.

Specs would have been Intel DP35DP Motherboard, Core 2 Duo E Series, 4gb RAM, Geforce 9800+ GTX, HAF 922 or HAF 932 Case.

Budget was around $600, stayed within budget. Got good performance but not an epic deal. PC ran old CoD's with flying colors (original, UO, CoD2)

3) My third gaming rig was a AM3 Phenom II X2 555, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD with Geforce 8800 GTS. If I had to do it over, I'd stick with same motherboard, quad core cpu instead,  different case from Stacker 830 custom $150, cheaper and lower wattage psu (using single card).

*Note: Did cheap out on GPU since 9800+ died and was going over budget.

*Note 2: LGA 1156 + 1155 +1150 was far too pricey CPU's. AM3 or LGA 775 Core 2 Extreme were the only options.

Specs would have been: AM3 Phenom II X4, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD, HAF XB or Cube Case?, Geforce 285 or Radeon counterpart.

or

Specs would have been: Core 2 Extreme, 8GB DDR3 Ram, 1TB HDD, HAF XB or Cube Case?, Geforce 285 or Radeon Counterpart

Budget was around ~$800ish, went over budget and had to cut corners on GPU, use spare ODD drive. Should have never paid $150 for fancy computer case or $140 for 850 Watt Modular PSU (only need 500 watt for single card)

Got unlucky with some used parts, should have bought more parts at lower prices or bundled (to lower odds of them not working)

4) My fourth and current gaming rig is; i7 2600k, 16gb DDR3-1333 RAM, 1TB HDD + 120 SSD, PCI-e WIFI, Radeon HD 7850, Enermax Ostrog Case. If I'd had to do it over, I'd do it again :)

Only had to add in the Radeon HD 7850 + WIFI. But other then that it was pretty much to my liking. I mean a cuboid shaped case with 200mm fans would have been better, but can't complain for the price.

Budget was around $450ish, went under budget. Bought PC around $350ish, bought Radeon HD 7850 for $60 used, Bought Rosewill PCIe WIfi Card for $22.

As you can seen I don't really regret going AMD over Intel or vice a versa. My main issues of my builds were actually based off; Costs vs performance, single card vs SLI/Crossfire, full tower vs mid-tower vs cube case ect.

Morale of the story is #1 Buy a used Gaming rig, is your most viable bet. I mean if you see a rig you like but it's got a terrible case and a junker video card, but 90% of the rest of the stuff is good. Pull a Dr. Frankenstein and mold it to your needs.

#3 Turn Regular PC into Budget Gaming rig, is viable if you are not a hardcore gamer. If you would be happy putting in a GTX 750 or GTX 950 into a Dell XPS 8300/8700 then your on your way to a budget gaming rig, without major work.

#6 Rebuild, is viable too if the rig is not too dated. Perhaps the costs of CPUs and Video Cards drop, you could jump from i3 to i5/i7. or from GTX 750 to 960. This option becomes less viable once the rig is like 5+/yrs old

#5 Build New. You have to factor in ALL costs. SATA cables, ODDs, thermal paste and stuff that you would generally overlook. It would be ideal if you set aside around $500 or more as a budget and have some spare parts to use. You should likely have already have your case on hand (or narrowed down to three likely ones) and one Optical Drive. Maybe even a spare HDD and some SATA Cables. You will become an opportunist and strike when you see a Black Friday or Cyber Monday sale on New Egg or Micro Center. Otherwise try to find a motherboard + CPU + RAM combo, sometimes people on local ad sites sell the guts as bundles. If AMD has something powerful to offer in CPU and GPU don't rule it out. It's like 25% weaker but 100% cheaper then Geforce and Intel, get the most bang for your buck.

• Member ID:  1410
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  38
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  522
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  3583
  • Birthday:  05/08/1953
  • Device:  Windows

Hey Warmonger, if you're going to write a book, throw in a few spicy pics once in a while to keep our interest, ok?