Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Windows 7 upgrade and internet connection issues

Oldmankickas

• Member ID:  1441
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  75
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/11/1961

It may just be coincidence, but after upgrading to Windows 7, COD 4 and 5 both started flashing the "connection interrupted" symbol randomly and frequently, with the stalling and jittery game play you would expect (impossible to play).  I did a bunch of tests at random times on Speedtest.net and found that my speeds were fine but line quality (packet loss and jitter) were only so-so.  My son has not complained about gaming on his X-Box (Modern Warfare 2), which makes me suspicious of Win 7 on my PC.  We are wireless through a D-link DIR-655 N router, which has not given me any probems in the year or two we have been using it.  Any suggestions?  I need my fix!!!

Thanks,

Not-so-old man

Kurt

• Member ID:  42
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  50
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  8265
  • Content Per Day:  1.54
  • Achievement Points:  53618
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  01/30/1959
  • Device:  Windows

You have been lucky very lucky. Wireless is great so long as everything you do have some type of buffering working with it. Your fix is easy but the results will be varried.

Run a wire from your router for gaming. I say never play at this level unless your wired.

Reboot the router and modem leave it unpluged for 5 minutes. Try that out.

Reload the wireless driver for your system. If you up graded win 7 might not have the latest.There are 2 ways to run wireless for your system. Via windows or the manufatures system. I think windows is the choice here, But someone please correct me if I remember this one wrong.

If none of that works your router might be going out the door or you erthernet on your MB . You can by add on ethernet cards cheap just check to see it you have a slot for one on your mb and remember to turn off the mb etherbet via the bios.

Thanks LABob.  My home was "wired with cat 5" but the cables were run for phones by someone who has obviously never wired anything for computers - which is why I am wireless.  I dread any kind of cable pulls (another reason we are wireless).  Up until now our pings have been decent - in the 50's.  We are on IFITL, which although now obsolete, is usually quite responsive and reliable.  I may just have to bite the bullet.  sigh....  I could probably adapt the wiring in my attic to minize pulling cable by using a switch, but I have so many things to do in front of this...  My son has his X-Box wireless to the router and never complains (22 y/o college student who is a serious gamer).  I will give your suggestions a shot and se what happens.  Thanks again.

Kurt

• Member ID:  1607
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  181
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1227
  • Birthday:  12/20/1991

ive had the same issues and it was with both my computer and router. i had from my moden a cable runnin to a linksys router (<3) and then to a cisco switch (again <3) but i ended up switching wireless channels on my router and it was fixed. running cables suck man my dad is an electrician and ive had to help him in our house with electrical pulling, i wired my room with cat6 and it was a bitch. the only thing i could think of is turn off everything connected on your network, i.e your xbox and computer(s) and then power down your router THEN your modem, wait half an hour or have no patience and wait 10 mins, then power in this order, your modem, then router, then xbox, with your computer off test the xbox, and if it plays fine then go ahead and turn on your pc if troubbles return you shall know its your pc, if not your golden.

now if the problems do continue, run spyware and virius and all that fancy shit on your comp, then give er another go. if this doesnt work lemme know and ill do some research for ya ive got a buddy who is a computer repair tech hes usually rght about these things and has helped me in the past.

-sean

<3 linksys and cisco

• Member ID:  336
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  135
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  801
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/03/1963

i would suggest if you didnt ...do a clean install of windows 7.....back up stuff you wanna save and get rid of vista completley.......people having lots of probs after an upgrade from vista.......clean install, clean install always when loading a new os......Laughing

I believe that...  Did a clean install on my son's PC, which was as quick an install as I have ever done!  He was up and running literally in minutes.  Mine was a nightmare of programs that did not run, drivers not upgraded, etc...  I spent more time cleaning it up than I would have installing everything again.  Turns out my problem was with the wireless adapter.  It worked fine under Vista 64 but did not work under Win 7 64.  The adapter that I had problems with under Vista works fine with 7.  Go figure!!!!  What a PITA!!!!

Good stuff oldman. Wireless is a black art if you just imagine all the wireless signals passing through your house its just bizare anything clicks. But I'm sure if you found a way to be wired you would get lets say 5 more kills a game that would be the difference in no packet loss. Good luck happy gaming and please remember hunting adms is more fun then ass kicking punks