Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Recording Games

OddJob001

• Member ID:  3113
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  245
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1228
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Achievement Points:  9622
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/15/1980

Does anyone know of a program that will capture video output AND upload it "the cloud" or somewhere, on the fly?

• Member ID:  19683
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  578
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Achievement Points:  4968
  • Days Won:  0
  • Device:  iPhone

Do you want to stream your video so others can spectate in real time, or record so you can make movies later? Both are easy but you need a beefy pc and for streaming a fast network. Upload, not download.

Edited by DuckyofDeath123

• Member ID:  19609
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  870
  • Birthday:  04/30/1973

http://obsproject.com/ this program will stream and record its free there are youtube videos on how to use it one that helped me was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stMBmiEwvYE and it records in mp4 unlike xsplit you have to buy it or rent it to get to your videos 

Do you want to stream your video so others can spectate in real time, or record so you can make movies later? Both are easy but you need a beefy pc and for streaming a fast network. Upload, not download.

Record for later use.  And as to not take up HDD space.  I mean I have a good 4-5 TB's, but I dont need that riddled with videos where I am only going to care about 5% of it.

The PC will handle the stress, and I have a 50 down 25 up connection, so that should be fine too.  Just need to find a good site for it.

My other thought would be to write a script, to save the games to a dropbox folder, that would send them to another local machine, then delete the file after 10-20 mins.  

http://obsproject.com/ this program will stream and record its free there are youtube videos on how to use it one that helped me was 
 and it records in mp4 unlike xsplit you have to buy it or rent it to get to your videos 

Ill check that out right now.  thanks!

I hadnt seen obs before. Looks worth a try. Thanks for that :-)

Record for later use.  And as to not take up HDD space.  I mean I have a good 4-5 TB's, but I dont need that riddled with videos where I am only going to care about 5% of it.

The PC will handle the stress, and I have a 50 down 25 up connection, so that should be fine too.  Just need to find a good site for it.

Unless you do lossy compression first, this is never going to work even with 25 mbit upload. Compressing it lossy, then recompressing when you edit it is going to leave the quality so poor you mightn't bother at all, really. And of course, lossy compression is going to suck up CPU cycles which in BF4 will not leave your frame rate in good shape unless your CPU is high end.

I can't record in 1080p on an i7 960, because it affects my frame rate noticeably.

Also, editing the video isn't going to be a very convenient thing to do if you need to download the whole thing when you want to edit your movie.

All in all I wouldn't consider doing this. You'd be better off grabbing an old 1TB disk, which is what I did. But I had one lying around from an old file server...

But if you really want to try this, can you not simply map a drive to a dropbox account?

Edited by DuckyofDeath123

• Member ID:  3282
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  350
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  2327
  • Birthday:  08/18/1983

I haven't used it yet, but if you are running NVIDIA GPU(s), NVIDIA's Shadowplay is supposed to be less taxing on machines than other programs and take up less space.  Just what I've read though...not through personal experience. 

I haven't used it yet, but if you are running NVIDIA GPU(s), NVIDIA's Shadowplay is supposed to be less taxing on machines than other programs and take up less space.  Just what I've read though...not through personal experience. 

Ya I have been looking to try that out.  I have heard though it may cause some issues with crashes and sub par FPS :(  Ill try it soon.

• Member ID:  20596
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  36

I can attest for Nvidia shadowplay. It's pretty good. I'm running a 770 and with Shadowplay on it doesn't seem to drop my frames too low at all, but it all depends on your preference. You could use just the manual recording mode so you don't have both options running at the same time. I've tried manually recording and it seemed to work great except for a few hiccups (but those may have just been because of my setup.

The only bad thing about it right now is that it WILL NOT record voice input for the time being. So this means if you've got your headset and mic on it won't be picking you up talking. It does capture all outgoing sound though. So if you're talking with people on teamspeak it will capture your friends' voices, just not yours.

I think I read a blip somewhere that they are going to add voice input recording at some point as well as streaming direct to twitch.tv. Overall I think it's a great tool, but it's in beta, so there ya have it.

• Member ID:  1965
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  1176
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  8599
  • Birthday:  02/11/1969

Shadowplay is a great tune

originally done by joy division

he he                                 ..l

Edited by JohnnyQuest

• Member ID:  3655
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  198
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  1538
  • Birthday:  09/16/1991

SHADOW PLAY SHADOWPLAY. 

IT Is currently in beta mode but i tell you what. i dont record my game therefore i get no fps loss whatsoever. but you gotta have it on in the background. but if you had a good round just press the hotkey baaam it will save that round automatically. just make sure you alt+tab beginning of everyround. it dont have many features yet but it is an beast of a software and it is free

• Member ID:  8674
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  242
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  2234
  • Birthday:  01/16/1989
  • Device:  Windows

Just get your hands on dxtory. The files it saves are way smaller then compared to fraps. For example.

Just get your hands on dxtory. The files it saves are way smaller then compared to fraps. For example.

Actually, that file size depends on your selected video settings. Unlike Fraps you can set tons of things with DXtory which is why I use it. I record with dxtory using Lagarith lossless codec, so I only lose quality when I save the final edit. It is also less CPU intensive than using Fraps or even Fraps's codec in DXTory ( yep. You can.)

You can also use an audio splitter with dxtory to have it record game audio, background music, teamspeak an your own voice seperately so you can filter out Killingman's allegations of homosexuality when you take his dogtags. Or blend them in, if you prefer :-)

Dxtory is probably the most configurable recorder available, but it isnt free. I do like it though.