Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and families of the GermanWings plane crash

little_old_man

• Member ID:  822
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  87
  • Topic Count:  317
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5477
  • Content Per Day:  1.04
  • Achievement Points:  42632
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  20
  • Birthday:  03/01/1967
  • Device:  Windows

More than likely we do Joe, but then you have the opposite problem which is, what if a nut-case on the ground is able to get control of a plane in the air and crash it? There are already rumors that hackers of certain governments have been able to temporarily take control of military drones, although I'm sure whatever government owns the drones doesn't want that information made public and is in full denial mode. All of this great technology is making the world a much scarier place.

I am sure there are ways to implement a two man rule or a system that would prevent a nut case from purposely crashing a plane. We spent billions of dollars after 911 re-organizing the air travel industry focusing on the consumers as potential security threats to the industry. We changed a lot of things to make sure the flight crews had some sort of protection to do their jobs properly and safely. Now we have the exact opposite problem. And even though in all but one of the previous "pilot suicide" cases, the governments and airlines challenged and watered down the results of investigations that determined "pilot suicide" as the most likely scenario for a crash, this specific tragedy should force them to start making changes. 

• Member ID:  822
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  87
  • Topic Count:  317
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5477
  • Content Per Day:  1.04
  • Achievement Points:  42632
  • Days Won:  20
  • Birthday:  03/01/1967

No ....and yes lol . 

No because commercial flights are not equiped whith any system who could allow anybody from the ground to take control of the fligft . It just doesn't exist.The only response for a plane flying erraticly and being a potential danger for people on the ground is sending fighter planes and take it down . In that case fighters planes from Orange ( south of France ) who are on a " 5 minutes take off alert" were probably on the crash scene seconds after the crash if not before the crash and witnessed it ....

Yes because some tests had been made on some commercial planes ( bae 146 ) a few month ago and it appears it possible to put a plane in the sky and land it whithout any human on board.A computer do the job...

It would cost millions/billions to put  this system on every commercial planes and i can tell you the industry is not ready to pay ...

Maybe its time to come up with some  ingenious solution to the problem because the last thing any passenger wants to see is fighter jets trying to shoot them down. :-) That's a scary thought. I am not a pilot or an expert on the subject but I am aware that some modern, newer planes, let the computers do the flying and the role of the pilots is to monitor these systems during flight. I've read that the way pilots are trained has changed quite a bit, at least the training of Airbus pilots. Correct me if I am wrong, but  I have also heard that it is possible for a plane to land itself in case of major emergency. However the biggest challenge in implementing this as a policy is not on the technology side, but the unions and insurance companies. Is this at least partially true? 

• Member ID:  2465
  • Group:  +++ Minecraft Head Admin
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  170
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1818
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Achievement Points:  14559
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  04/17/1972

Just heard on the news that investigators found a note from his doctor at his house stating that he should be excused from work on the day that he crashed the plane. The guy was hiding a medical condition that would have kept him from flying, and it cost 150 people their lives.

news here is saying he was depressed cause his girlfriend dumped him.

• Member ID:  69
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  50
  • Topic Count:  227
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2660
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Achievement Points:  22968
  • Days Won:  19
  • Birthday:  05/07/1965

Maybe its time to come up with some  ingenious solution to the problem because the last thing any passenger wants to see is fighter jets trying to shoot them down. :-) That's a scary thought. I am not a pilot or an expert on the subject but I am aware that some modern, newer planes, let the computers do the flying and the role of the pilots is to monitor these systems during flight. I've read that the way pilots are trained has changed quite a bit, at least the training of Airbus pilots. Correct me if I am wrong, but  I have also heard that it is possible for a plane to land itself in case of major emergency. However the biggest challenge in implementing this as a policy is not on the technology side, but the unions and insurance companies. Is this at least partially true? 

A modern aircraft can fly and land under autopilot if the airport of destination is equiped whith a Cat IIIC ILS ( Instrument landing system ) . Of course the crew must be qualified to use that system.It is used for example in case of a 0 visibility landing ( fog..)Some airlines ( i think Emirates ) are asking their pilots to always use that system when possible and in that case,yes,the pilots job is more monitoring a computer than anything else.

Now,is it possible to fly and land a commercial flight from the ground...no . Like a said before the technology already exist but no commercial flight is equiped and in my opinion this is a good thing.Would you go on a flight were somebody on the ground can fly the plane ( whith all the hacking possibilities ) and where the pilots on board could do nothing about it ? I wouldn't  :no

• Member ID:  582
  • Group:  ++ COD2 Admin
  • Followers:  20
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  361
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  3272
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/22/1956

The companies who run these airlines should be responsible for the mental and physical capabilities of all people connected to the well fare of the travelling public. I agree that a doctor should have the right to cancel any persons licence be-it a train,plane,ship or drivers licence on the spot. I would even go further to say that conductors, traffic controllers, ground personnel should fall under guide-lines. I would think that the insurance companies would be thinking ahead of this type of occurrence.