Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Women In Combat Arms Roles

Guybrush

• Member ID:  1103
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  64
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1977
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Achievement Points:  15642
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  01/01/2012

This is just bad, I've talked with several forward engaged females and unless you've been there you can't really imagine what it's like.

Can you be more specific?

Sure thing, just give me your perspective, are you military, have you been engaged in the front lines?

I am a drill sergeant in the Army (since 2010) enlisted in 2005. I have been fortunate not to have been deployed yet, but given that it's my job to prepare soldiers for life overseas in combat environments as well as garrison life, an understanding of our current mission as well as its objectives is imperative. What i will say is that there is no "front line". As far as the army goes, you may train to perform a certain job, but there's no guarantee you will be doing that job overseas. Where you go and who you go with will depend largely on the mission your unit is tasked to accomplish.

I thank you for your service to our country, and I appreciate your perspective well beyond most that would be posting here. There are are a significant few that don't appreciate the difference in gender. I'm not one of those.

• Member ID:  4074
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  299
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2072
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/27/1986

@@PingLo, I appreciate your saying that. I have a profound respect for the men AND women who have stood up to serve our country. It's not an easy choice, and everyone answers the call for different reasons, but nevertheless, they answer the call. DorknRok is among the many here with whom I have sincere gratitude.

But. There are exceptions.

I actually had written a frikkin book after I made that post, but my tablet decided to get rid of it before I got a chance to post it.

I actually have a fairly skeptical view on this sudden change to policy. When I joined the army, my job was combat engineer. Naturally this job was not open to females, so all of the time I spent in training was done in the company of all males. There simply were no females. Even when I got to my unit, I did not work around females. There was one female in the entire company, but she was in supply and rarely got out and around to talk to people. And I'll be honest, it was pretty nice. After a few years in the military, you get used to a certain degree of freedom of language. I got my first dose of females in training during a reclass. Instead of worrying about the next day's training, a handful of our peers were more worried about impressing one of the females (one of about 6 in the company). This led to one getting caught having sex in a port-a-jon, and then subsequently getting chaptered out of the army. Unnecessary to say the least.

When I became a drill sergeant, this came to a crashing halt. Suddenly I had to worry about who was listening, and how they felt about what I was saying. I'm not implying that female presence is at fault for the continued "political correctness" that is shaping our force, but it certainly makes it harder. But it's not even just the female presence, America and its youth is gradually getting lazier and less and less competent. They aren't accustomed to working hard or dealing with difficult situations or even handling day to day life without everyday conveniences. Add on top of that having to deal with females who use their "time of the month" as an excuse to get out of training, or call one of my peers out on sexual assault simply because they heard something they thought was offensive (he lost his hat). This simply wouldn't have happened when I came through. If someone took offense to something, they rarely spoke up about it and instead grew a pair and dealt with it. Now you have to pick your fights. Now you have to worry about pissing off the wrong female (and when push comes to shove, they believe the private over the drill sergeant every time).

I won't say all females are like this; I agree with the opinion that there are a handful and more who are willing to bear the brunt of the rigors of life overseas and abroad shoulder to shoulder with males. But I don't think that their capability is all that is in question. Females in combat environments have long presented multiple conflicts. One concern I have is the dilemma of "fight or flight". Many have said that they wouldn't care about sex if the person beside them could carry them wounded out of harm's way. But what if you were in charge of triage? What if you were asked to choose between a man with a sucking chest wound, and a female screaming out in pain because she was shot in the leg? Are you, as a male with your deep seeded virtues of protecting females, capable of determining without bias who receives treatment first? This is one of many issues. But I will say that contrary to popular belief, there are females already outside the wire seeing combat. The restriction previously held prevented them from being recognized for their efforts and bravery. Chances are, no matter who you are, you are going to see some level of combat, especially if you were in Iraq or in or going to Afghanistan.

I don't want to get into all the complications, and I don't want anyone to think I'm sexist (I apologize if I have offended any females). My true purpose in the military is training, and I enjoy the hell out of getting the opportunity to help save lives and make our army better. I remain skeptical for now, but I guess only time will tell.

Edited by flashadvocate

• Member ID:  3003
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  418
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  3590
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979
  • Device:  Windows

I'm not in the military so please don't be too harsh on me but In my opinion as long as the person next to me has the ability to drag my wounded ass out of trouble then no problem. I would have a problem with someone next to me that could not do this. Regardless of sex. On the other hand as a man would you not want to be more aggressive in a situation where a female soldier was taken prisoner and the possibility of some really negative things that could be done to them as torture. I know that is a extreme example but one that is sure to come up at times. I would just feel so terrible if a female soldier friend had to endure such cruelty and I couldn't prevent it.

I would hope that you feel this way regardless of sex. POW situations are an unfortunate fact in the wars we are involved in, and especially with the kinds of enemies we face. Anyone interested in joining the military should be cognizant of the inherent risks taken overseas, especially in parts of the world where Americans (or more specifically NATO forces) are seen in such negative ways.

Being a POW is a horrible thought and I would wish it on no one. I was implying that my personal feelings on what might be done to a female pow might impair my judgement and get myself or others killed in the process. Again I am not in the military and don't pretend to know what those of you that are go through. I am so thankful for all the men and women that do their jobs whatever that may be and put their lives on the line so I can have freedom.

Edited by Sgt_Twinkie

• Member ID:  4074
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  299
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2072
  • Birthday:  07/27/1986

@@Sgt_Twinkie, no offense taken. I figured that's what you meant. Was just a little confused on the wording :P

No one can be sure how they will react under pressure or when lives are at stake. The important thing is to keep an open mind and hope you make the right choice. Hopefully you never have to worry.

• Member ID:  1176
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  110
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  954
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  6665
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/27/1983

I say " Hey, if the want to say they are equal if not better let it be. Let's see where it goes. Good for them.

Edited by BANNPIRE

• Member ID:  3282
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  350
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  2327
  • Birthday:  08/18/1983
  • Device:  iPhone

Reading some of these posts leaves me with a seperate yet related issue...are women now going to be required to register for the Selective Service just as US males are upon turning 18? I haven't heard any discussions on this from our Gov't, but I am curious to see if this in on the horizon as well.

• Member ID:  220
  • Followers:  147
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  16950
  • Content Per Day:  3.16
  • Achievement Points:  129713
  • Days Won:  120
  • Birthday:  04/05/1970

Reading some of these posts leaves me with a seperate yet related issue...are women now going to be required to register for the Selective Service just as US males are upon turning 18? I haven't heard any discussions on this from our Gov't, but I am curious to see if this in on the horizon as well.

i sure hope not!

• Member ID:  1387
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  2540
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Achievement Points:  19552
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  06/05/1968

I think it's not how women respond in combat, It's how Men will respond thinking they have to protect them...

I don't want to have to remind everyone of this, but all women carry a vagina, & it will be used & abused by the enemy when given a chance. Knowing this, their Male Counterparts may alter what they do in battle, putting everyone at risk.

• Member ID:  3837
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  43
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  262
  • Birthday:  09/16/1983

@ #27

i appreciated your opinion. who else when not u as a drill instructor could talk about real insights and pro´s/con´s

arent the last two lines just forced from political correctness issues?!? ;)

the most questions are around how to handle a woman beside a man in combat. and beside of it the thougts about the instincts of men to protect women

but a functional soldier who question himself right in that moment in combat isnt effectiv.

and when u realise somehow that a comrade care more about a fleshwound of a woman over the open chest of the other, then its time to take actions.

but if that isnt the case in real life scenarios it stays theoretical.

and from the opposite side. how does it feel when u must shoot a femal soldier. splitseconds of scepicism? does it demoralize more than shooting a man?

and another situation. u have a shot and dead woman (a comrade) or u see how she got shot. does it take a man to a different (blind anger) level, and irrational failures?

as a philosopher im so fucking interest in behaviour of peoples, whats automatism or trainable, (educate off)

btw, excuse my words. as a german i surely try to press english words into german grammar :construction:

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  1387
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  2540
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Achievement Points:  19552
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  06/05/1968

Now that we are all equal (equally worthless) according to the central planners of the world, Why Don't Our Women Have To Register For Selective Service At 18 Like Us MEN DO?

Understand, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate....