Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Need some technical assistance folks...

HarryWeezer

• Member ID:  20166
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  40
  • Topic Count:  611
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  7654
  • Content Per Day:  1.97
  • Achievement Points:  53674
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  10/16/1946
  • Device:  Windows

I have a Dell XPS 630i system with an SLI motherboard. It came with two GeForce 9800s SLI, each of which required a six-pin additional power connector. One of them fried, so I sold both of them to a fellow XIer and put in a GeForce 260 GTX. That card required two, six-pin power connectors.

But I've been getting some stuttering so I thought I'd add another 260 SLI and it arrived today. I checked the power specs and my 750W PSU should easily handle it. However, when I went to install it, I found I do NOT have two additional six-pin connectors in the system. I only have two in total, and they're both plugged into the first 260.

Questions:

- Can I simply put a splitter on each of the 6-pin connectors so that one six-pin connector is going to each card, but is split to feed both 6-pin inputs on each card? Or, will this starve each card of power.

- Or, can one purchase a set of replacement cables that might plug into my current power supply that would have four six-pin connectors? (I've never dicked with power supplies so maybe this is a stupid question and you can't replace the cabling.)

- Or, do I have to buy another power supply that has four six-pin connectors and if so, can anyone recommend one?

• Member ID:  21
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  235
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1625
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/23/1979

Chances are you are going to need a new power supply with the proper number of plugs.  I can't really recommend a brand but I would just say don't go really cheap with your power supply if at all possible.  And maybe get some more wattage if you want because NVidia cards tend to suck a bunch of power.  I hope this helps at least a little.

• Member ID:  92
  • Followers:  42
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2241
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Achievement Points:  13358
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/09/1977

I have an 295GTX, and yes you must have 2x 6 pin power leads going to each of your cards to get them to run.  I have only come across a dual splitter not a quad (though it wouldn't matter to me as I have plenty of spare cables coming off my 1KW power supply.  I know you're in the US but have a look at www.overclockers.co.uk This is a great site, and if you can get a quad, then it would be there.  At leaqst you would know the correct name to then serach on US sites for easier shipping.

• Member ID:  42
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  50
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  8281
  • Content Per Day:  1.54
  • Achievement Points:  53726
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  01/30/1959
  • Device:  Android

No those 6 pin connectors are dedicated power lines for your video card. So doubling the draw would be a bad idea. What you would want to know is the power requirements of your card and see it it matches the out put of one of the other power cords. So one of your sata or peripheral connectors will give you (I think) 12 v and 36 amp.; Then there's always trying to get the adapter. There also use to be a dedicated power supply for you video card went in the dvd rom slots but I think I might be dating myself there.  Good luck geek

• Member ID:  190
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  76
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  614
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/04/1966

and 2 hammsters and the power will be there Laughing