Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Setting up RAID Format on new PC

PigDog

• Member ID:  222
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  88
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3846
  • Content Per Day:  0.72
  • Achievement Points:  25628
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/05/1968
  • Device:  Windows

OK, so I have most of the parts for my new PC.  I would like to set it up in a RAID format - I can't remember if it is RAID 0 or RAID 1, but it is NOT the striped one, it is the where one drive is a mirror of the other.

I know my mobo supports RAID.  How do I get it set up ?  I will be loading Windows 7 Pro on a 90 GB SSD drive and then I want 2 1 TB drives that are mirrored.  Can I do it that way?  And how ???

Help!!  And Thanks!

• Member ID:  51
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Followers:  51
  • Topic Count:  342
  • Content Count:  5974
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Achievement Points:  45818
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/26/1949

You are wanting RAID 1...I can't help you with setting it up but someone will be along to help I'm sure...SmileSmile

Awards

• Member ID:  542
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  311
  • Content Count:  1628
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Achievement Points:  11299
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/01/1975

• Member ID:  542
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  311
  • Content Count:  1628
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Achievement Points:  11299
  • Birthday:  03/01/1975

It really depends on the motherboard's hardware RAID. A lot of cheaper (read: no-server) motherboards require you to install software RAID drivers within Windows anyway.

Also, a hardware RAID will be handled using your motherboard, and therefore can become tied to your motherboard. If your concerned about the stability of your motherboard already, I would avoid its RAID like the plague.

In this circumstance, unless your motherboard has actual hardware RAID (not the standard fake hardware RAID) you are much better off sticking with Windows 7 RAID. Even when considering pure hardware RAID vs. software RAID there are trade-offs with each system, and IMO hardware RAID is only necessary in a production environment.

I could help here - I've been on the phone with Microsoft's support people and the Western Digital people. I just purchased two 1 TB drives as I wanted some assurance (due to my backup lazines) that my data would be replicated/backed up with minimal interference. Well... this is what I know:

You can setup mirroring to happen (which is like RAID 1) but not really by doing the following - with a pitfall.

1. You have to install Windows 7 in order to mirror - so given that you have done that

2. I typically like to partition off my disk 0 into a C and D where C is for OS stuff and programs and D is for data. Each drive disk 0 and 1 must be set to Dynamic. (DO NOT format disk 1 - leave it unformatted - otherwise the next step will not work).

3. Right click on drive D from disk 0 and left click on Add Mirror - when you do this you will see disk 1 appear and click on it. The software found disk 1 as it is completely unallocated and see's it as a free drive to mirror on.

4. Click OK and in a few moments you will see the same drive space allocated for disk 0 drive D on disk 1 and it names it the same - drive D and resynchronising with a percentage showing progress. This can take some time even with no data to synchronise.

When the resynchronising is complete - no further action is needed - except you might have to rescan the drive by left clicking it and choosing Action from the menu then Scan Disks - takes just a moment and you're done.

The ONLY problem is - you can't mirror disk 0 - drive C! I'm so frustrated - it attempts it, but gets only so far and then you get a failure message on the disk 0 area and sometimes you get Virtual Disk Manager Error "No Extents Were Found For The Plex". What is the matter with that?! I have tried researching and perhaps not enough but neither Microsoft or Western Digital could help me. They don't know what it means and perhaps Windows 7 is not quite ready yet to take advantage of the driving mirroring capabilities.

How to get around this? - I would really appreciate knowing how you did it! Please email me at [email protected].

That's all I got - took me antire day working with Microsoft an Western Digital do get this information

I found this on a site may help you may not.

• Member ID:  389
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  45
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4468
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Achievement Points:  36501
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  01/01/1970
  • Device:  Windows

yes first up date to current bios for your MB 

then get hardware  drivers  that are WHQD appoved for your OS 32 or 64 bit?   

lan, sound, usb, graphics, chipset, raid software (F6 option) and  put them on a stick or optical disk for later

in  bios set  to raid  and have optical boot first, then reboot

put win7 in drive hit F6 to install drivers when asks then put in your disk made prior 

note: raid is really for protection of data loss

• Member ID:  219
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  492
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  2906
  • Birthday:  04/28/1957