Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Hydroplaning

sur1795

• Member ID:  22427
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  476
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Recently Indiana has been getting hit with a LOT of rain...well a couple of nights ago it was pretty much like a fog bank from the rain, couldn't even see out the windows and the roads were pretty much completely flooded...and sadly one of my friends was involved in a wreck that killed her and her bf's dad.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/driver-dies-in-crash-on-flooded-noblesville-road

With all the adults here, I was wondering if anyone had experience with hydroplaning and how they recover from it. I also lost control that night but I was only going around 30 so it was easy to stop.

• Member ID:  1443
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  50
  • Topic Count:  149
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2299
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Achievement Points:  17866
  • Days Won:  14
  • Birthday:  02/19/1987
  • Device:  Windows

sorry to hear about your friend.

main thing is don't panic (easier said than done).  and don't slam on the brakes.  those are usually the two things people don't do, and make things worse.

this might help too.   http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Hydroplaning

I tried not freaking out butttt my friend was in the car and I was afraid something would happen so I did I guess what you said I wasn't supposed to do and slammed on my brakes :X I was going straight though so it worked out well kinda and yeah, the accident was crazy, made me feel really bad because it happened less than a mile away and I was at a hookah bar at the time -_- Ty for the link though, with all this rain we've been having lately these roads have been getting covered a lot more than I am used to...just hope when it happens it won't be bad.

• Member ID:  220
  • Followers:  147
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  16950
  • Content Per Day:  3.17
  • Achievement Points:  129713
  • Days Won:  120
  • Birthday:  04/05/1970

Good tires... get good tires and that wont be near a problem.

• Member ID:  4888
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2020
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  26312
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/29/1962

Good tires... get good tires and that wont be near a problem.

Good tires if you can afford them but good tires or not when it starts raining heavy . . . .  SLOW DOWN  . .

Even on good tires the faster you go the better chance of a layer of water developing between your tires and the road and once that happens you are no longer in control and just there for the ride.

When it rains here heavy and I'm driving I will switch into my winter icy road mode and slow down and drive as if every curve is frozen . . . it might piss the guy off behind me but I don't give a rats ass . . . . . . .

• Member ID:  2048
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  6689
  • Content Per Day:  1.37
  • Achievement Points:  48999
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  05/30/1967

poor tred wear or pattern on your tires .they should channel and  throw the water back.to recover from hydroplaning all you can do is hold the steering wheel firm an let off the gas to slow your roll.if you can upgrade your tires to some continental /pure-contact or dws tires

Good tires if you can afford them but good tires or not when it starts raining heavy . . . .  SLOW DOWN  . .

Even on good tires the faster you go the better chance of a layer of water developing between your tires and the road and once that happens you are no longer in control and just there for the ride.

When it rains here heavy and I'm driving I will switch into my winter icy road mode and slow down and drive as if every curve is frozen . . . it might piss the guy off behind me but I don't give a rats ass . . . . . . .

agreed Led... and the cost is a factor.

I just got these tires last month and I can book it at 70mph even if it is raining hard and going through big puddles. It has some kind of Orange Oil in the compound and man... they stick to the road. Never had tires like these.... YK580's.

BTW I don't recommend anyone to driving 70mph in the rain... unless you use RainX. You won't be able to see shit.  ;)

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hybrid-electric/a7593/the-science-behind-yokohamas-orange-oil-tires-8146348/

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/consumer/?year=&make=&model=&option=&width=195&aspect_ratio=55&rim_size=15&submit=1&search_by=by_size

@@hxtr those sound expensive lol, I just had my tires replaced when I got this car in Feb-April and it has Goodyear tires on it, not sure which ones though but it cost ~$400 so it's probably nothing fancy :X

I try to slow down but I usually have people ridin my ass so I just go whatever everyone else is going...not the best idea but I know how those road ragers can get :X

@@hxtr those sound expensive lol, I just had my tires replaced when I got this car in Feb-April and it has Goodyear tires on it, not sure which ones though but it cost ~$400 so it's probably nothing fancy :X

I try to slow down but I usually have people ridin my ass so I just go whatever everyone else is going...not the best idea but I know how those road ragers can get :X

I hate that... flip down your review mirror so you cant see them as much.

The tires are $110 a piece... so kind of in the middle on cost. 500 out the door.

Tires are the most import accessory your car has in my opinion.