Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Lets See Your Classic Cars

HowChunks

• Member ID:  389
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  45
  • Topic Count:  296
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4469
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Achievement Points:  36511
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  01/01/1970
  • Device:  Windows

3 hours ago, MikeB said:

I installed larger intercoolers a few years back.   The third picture is the actual back ordered intake I am installing.  The new turbos are quite larger than the stock ones, so my lag with the one intake is an issue.  Spooling comes on strong around 4k.   Gets freakishly fast from 5k to 7k.   Once I install the extra intake, I will see less lag.  Should start boosting strong around 3k (like stock).   Its quite fun to be going 55mph down the highway and drop it into 3rd and smoke the tires.

wow  "The whole engine only holds 4 qts."  how fast are you turning engine ?  may need to upgrade oil pump and larger oil cap. to feed  cool oil to engine

is red line  6200 RPM  hope your using a  REV limiter for that boost is wickade fast will save from a tow home with oil leaking out

• Member ID:  59
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  137
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2109
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  15107
  • Days Won:  13
  • Device:  Android

40 minutes ago, KaptCrunch said:

wow  "The whole engine only holds 4 qts."  how fast are you turning engine ?  may need to upgrade oil pump and larger oil cap. to feed  cool oil to engine

is red line  6200 RPM  hope your using a  REV limiter for that boost is wickade fast will save from a tow home with oil leaking out

The ECU is now programmed to hit rev limiter at 8k.    Before the motor was yanked, I had hit the limiter a few times throughout the years.  Been a great car.  I've owned several Z's in the past 30 years and non have ever disappointed me.   And I beat the shit out of them.  But I religiously do maintenance.  You guys know the routine !!  Drive / Clean / Mod /Maint./ Drive/Repeat !!

yes maintain it  will keep you perpetual motion with your machine

• Member ID:  7439
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  279
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2549
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  03/21/1982

22 hours ago, KaptCrunch said:

Shadow 

you worn out that 318 already if member had  when first gotten that ride.

note 318 is an internally balanced engine verses the 360 being an external balanced engine. Both engines will have a 727 Torque Flight transmission.

so need to keep  the 360  flex plate and torque converter not sure what one has the extra balancing weight on or changed bolt pattern of mating units  transgo or raybestospowertrain has nice kits can buy. just need a good pair of snap ring pliars and memory of stuff goes note on clutch packs keep them speparate with springs and not mix them with other springs /packs for look same but different tensions and don't change count of springs on packs for are set to a pressure.  note flim process so not to miss any thing. if opt for full rebuild kit, pre soak clutch plates in tin foil roast pans with trans oil also note .050 clearance is the target want on clutch packs, pay attenton on wave rings too. band adjustment  follow kit notes. oh careful of the balls in trans valvebody when taking apart the top half is hex bolt side. also need compressed air max 10-30 psi to check clutch pack circuits before and after repacking them and a jar of vaseline  for to lube saels to install. 

XI hemps has done his jeep tranny in garage at home 

rebuilding my 30rh trans - Page 2 - Automobile Repair Help - XtremeIdiots

it came stock with a 318.  but when I got it the swap was already done to the magnum.  That engine had bad bearings in it and would really start rattling after 10 min and lose oil pressure.  A friend of mine wrecked his Ram so I got the engine from him.  As for the tranny, you are talking way over my head lol.  It drove fine to work, came out and it wouldn't engage in any gear.  I was told it's likely the pump?  The tranny is overfull and not pushing any fluid to the cooler.   I used the torque converter that was in it, looked brand new.  It bolted right to the flex plate.  I'm not sure if I should just buy another 727 or attempt to swap out the pump as my knowledge of the inner workings is super limited.

39 minutes ago, Shadow said:

it came stock with a 318.  but when I got it the swap was already done to the magnum.  That engine had bad bearings in it and would really start rattling after 10 min and lose oil pressure.  A friend of mine wrecked his Ram so I got the engine from him.  As for the tranny, you are talking way over my head lol.  It drove fine to work, came out and it wouldn't engage in any gear.  I was told it's likely the pump?  The tranny is overfull and not pushing any fluid to the cooler.   I used the torque converter that was in it, looked brand new.  It bolted right to the flex plate.  I'm not sure if I should just buy another 727 or attempt to swap out the pump as my knowledge of the inner workings is super limited.

Shadow 

TCS 727 Transmission Schematic and Performance Parts (tcsproducts.com)

you using your trans or friends trans that came from the wreck?

hope you had put torque converter on trans by hand then bolted trans to engine then join TC to flex plate. sorry that happened for may have cracked the trans oil pump gear. you say over filled trans ? where at work after no drive issue? note:   One quart of over fill can kill most automatic trans in less tha a 100 mile trip at 60+ MPH,   over filling Excessive windage in the rotating parts, which aerates the fluid (foaming the fluid with air). The normal fill is about the bottom of the valve body, so it doesn't take much higher to reach the rotating parts. And aerated fluid is bad news for loss of pressure to apply clutch packs cause slippage. or had a leak and loss fluid, if no oil loss  how does the trans oil smell ? 

Shadow by sound best get a known working trans or one that was on friends engine for the torque converter has higher stall speed then standard. also need to check for balance weights on flex plate or TC so to keep engine balance so not to break crankshaft.

ruff idea of stall speeds

3200- 3500  and up   race camshalf drag race

2200-2400  towing / street light 

1800-2000   daily driver  

or when order need weight of car, engine  mods?, diff ratio and rear tire size 

hope this helps you 

360 to 727 trans 

as to the removed engine  with low oil pressure, may been the neutral balanced flex plate on crank shaft caused thoses bearing to fail, 

on the 360 enginge front harmonic balancer is a counter weight (lump)

and the rear weight on torque converter  '93 year and down

image.thumb.png.cc28e414d5f880f686a1216fa8168bdf.png

"93-03 Magnum 360 are balanced with the damper and the flexplate or flywheel. Converter weights were 92 and prior years."

Note the flexplate TC holes are indexed ...fit only 1 way for one hole is offset

the B&M flexplate will allow TC without weight. keeping a balanced motor (need to know motor yr for crank pattern) then can use a TC without weight on the 360. with bowl facing crank

and since motor is out get a drivers side  motor mount

image.png.23e521061a86147c08cedf9e7f0f853a.png

self locking  and never rock engine messing up thottle and transmission linkages ever then towing or spinnning tires 

Edited by KaptCrunch