Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Home network issue. Need HELP

Bama

• Member ID:  22339
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  167
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1715
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Achievement Points:  12965
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  03/20/1972
  • Device:  Windows

Cavey

Couple more questions...

Is her laptop wireless switched off when she is wired?  If not make sure it is.

Also, when does this happen?  Is there a pattern?  For example does it only happen when she is gaming, or doing certain things?

I very much doubt it will be a graphics card issue.

Yes, I switch off wireless when I'm wired.

The only pattern I really notice is that my ping will be okay until I go in game. As soon as I connect to the server, my ping goes up. In the past, I could play with a higher than normal ping but I can't play with the jittery lag that I have now.  I also notice that Bama's ping will spike if I am web browsing while he's in game.  

• Member ID:  389
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  45
  • Topic Count:  296
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4477
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Achievement Points:  36566
  • Days Won:  40
  • Birthday:  01/01/1970
  • Device:  Windows

how about your ISP has thottled back your bandwidth ?

can try another PCMCIA Ethernet Adapter to rule out bad NIC in laptop 

• Member ID:  92
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  42
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2241
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Achievement Points:  13358
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/09/1977

BurningBright
Cavey

Couple more questions...

Is her laptop wireless switched off when she is wired?  If not make sure it is.

Also, when does this happen?  Is there a pattern?  For example does it only happen when she is gaming, or doing certain things?

I very much doubt it will be a graphics card issue.

Yes, I switch off wireless when I'm wired.

The only pattern I really notice is that my ping will be okay until I go in game. As soon as I connect to the server, my ping goes up. In the past, I could play with a higher than normal ping but I can't play with the jittery lag that I have now.  I also notice that Bama's ping will spike if I am web browsing while he's in game.  

BB thx for the info.  Reference your second point.  That is totally normal, because you are both using the internet at the same time.  The first point is more interesting, and worth focusing your attention on.  First go into the game menu, and choose to optimise your settings.  The game will automatically change your setting to match your hardware.  One specific thing to look at is the resolution of of graphics within the game.  drop the number X number down, and see if that helps.  Also make sure sync every frame is off.  Also turn from trilinear to bilinear.  Then play the game to see if these make a difference.

If not, I would recommend uninstalling the game (try it on your machine first, then Bama's) and re-installing.  This would be a low cost check, before we look further.  Then if that doesn't work we need to uninstall and re-install your network card driver.  Because yours will be part of your motherboard, it will the complete mobo drivers.  If that doesn't work we may have to re-install the OS later.  If that doesn't work we are looking at hardware issue elsewhere on your network.

Now I'm really sorry but I won't be able to work on this for a while.  I'm working heavily of the clan's new website, hopefully to have it up and running for next week (fingers crossed).  I will then also need to troubleshoot any problems people notice.  So it could be a couple of weeks before I can come back to this.  Try those steps above to keep you ticking over.  Oh and also try running cc cleaner on remove old registry entries.  If you don't know what you are doing here, ber careful and speak to someone in the clan who does (plenty of them).

Good Luck ;)

• Member ID:  19
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  101
  • Topic Count:  318
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4444
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Achievement Points:  29399
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  02/29/1968
  • Device:  iPhone

Thanks for your help Cavey, and everyone else too. We will spend some time implementing your suggestions and see how it works out. We actually were able to play a bit together last night on MW2FT2.. and it wasn't so bad. We will keep working at it until we resolve it.  Of course, we understand your commitments Cavey. I appreciate your time thus far. Good luck with the website!!!

• Member ID:  112
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1132
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Achievement Points:  6975
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/09/1960

I still say there is something on her PC like adware or spyware that is tapping into there internet the only true cleaner i have found to get rid of everything is COMBOFIX but be very very care full with this as you can do damage.

If you dont want to take this path how about figuring out on or around the date it started and do a system restore to before that date.

• Member ID:  1540
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  856
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Achievement Points:  4812
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/20/1969

Getting any errors in event viewer?

Try running the game with the task manager open then minimize the game and see how many resources you are using.

Also I would make sure you didnt disable anything you needed in msconfig.

Just a thought-Are you both using the same ports for the game? If you are both on the same network one of you should have a different port setting.

Example Modified Target Paths:

"F:\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\iw3mp.exe" +set net_port 28960

"F:\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\iw3mp.exe" +set net_port 28961

"F:\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\iw3mp.exe" +set net_port 28962

etc.