Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Server suggestions

• Member ID:  25468
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  158
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/03/1996

I have been coming up with things I would like to see on the server since I started and I don't want to pester staff with them so I will just put them here.

First things first I think it would be cool to get a sign in the admin shop that removes all warp. I personally like the effects of warp and am sad when they dissipate however I know of many people who end up doing thaum or getting research from someone who regardless of if the dangers are explained to them end up wanting to unlearn their stuff to remove warp, which naturally is impossible. I am not saying it should be cheap, but the ability to do it would help people out and I bet you would hear less about it from players if that were the case.

Second I think it would be useful to make a sign that allows you to make super nodes in a jar. Making super nodes is VERY dangerous and can result in people's bases being destroyed as well as all their stuff going missing which kill likely all be ichor stuff if they are looking for a super node. Endgame thaumaturgy requires at least one and they are VERY time consuming to make not to mention the fact that they require a ton of nodes which will then be missing from whatever world they are taken from. Very few people have the ability to make one while many will need at least one. For these reasons I think there should be a sign to buy a super node (which should also not be cheap) at the admin shop. Also there is in fact a command for generating them.

Third, and I know this one is talked about a lot, but /market would be nice. It would eliminate the hassle of dealing with physical shops and the economy would flourish.

Fourth and I really do not know if this is even possible but if you can find some way to dye armors that normally cannot be dyed that would be nice. The ikami armor being orange never made much sense to me in particular and I want a black version (at a cost of course). In other words, I see a orange armor and I want it painted black. No colors anymore I need it to turn black.

Fifth, an announcements tab for the minecraft chat in discord would be nice. Something only admins could post in where things like server changes could be announced before they happen. An example of something good to put on there is the day when the map is expanding and what that will entail.

I understand completely if these things cannot happen, but these are some suggestions I have. I will add to this as I come up with more things (and I know there are things I am forgetting). Please add to this if you have any suggestions. Also responces to these by admins would be nice.

• Member ID:  23498
  • Group:  ++ Minecraft Admin
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  700
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Achievement Points:  5750
  • Days Won:  1
  • Device:  Linux

your ideas are fine but they do not fit what the mod dev intended . The sign you speak of. I looked into it. to remove the warp it also removes the knowledge. So no sign or admin command will work as you thought

the ftb wiki explains it like this

Warp is a mechanic added by Thaumcraft 4. As the player performs more Research in the Thaumonomicon, they will accrue Warp from topics that are noted to contain "Forbidden Knowledge." Warp may also be acquired when crafting certain items in an Infusion Altar or by being attacked by entities of an eldritch nature. With the more Warp a player attains, the more severe and frequent Warp events will occur

super nodes as you explained are end game and need to be earned

changing it to buycraft instead of minecraft has  proven to make people finish faster, have no challenge, become bored and either quit or just start messing up the server

finally we cannot add mods to the pack. the dev creates it and we tweak it to run as best it can

tinting armour i do believe ( i could be wrong) would entail adding a mod to the pack

that can't be done as  every user would then have to add that mod manually to be able to play creating a major hassle to all that play

the discord update / announcements I do think is a good idea and should be considered as whitelist signup is there

people are on discord first and additional info always is helpful

• Member ID:  25666
  • Group:  + Minecraft Moderator
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  29
  • Achievement Points:  191
  • Device:  Windows

IMO Endgame should be endgame. There shouldn't be an option where you jump into a mod and pay for endgame. There is no progression if you just buy it.

Awards

3 hours ago, Purfy said:

IMO Endgame should be endgame. There shouldn't be an option where you jump into a mod and pay for endgame. There is no progression if you just buy it.

Well I disagree that it is letting them buy the endgame. They can't do anything with the node until they can set it up and the thing is the longer it stays in the jar the more likely it will just kinda just disappear. But I understand the sentiment that it needs to be earned. I just think that buying it is a way of earning it. Maybe if there was some way of earning it without paying but by proving you are endgame like trading two solid stacks of ichor and a jar for it. I don't know, i just think that they should be accessible to every endgame thaum user without it costing the server itself a ton of nodes, making it impossible for new thaum users to get started until the beginning of the next month.

• Member ID:  26510
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  33
  • Achievement Points:  231
  • Birthday:  08/30/1985

I've never gotten very far in Thaumcraft, just enough to make thaumium for use in Tinker's Construct, but playing through this and other modded servers I have to say one thing: the content of mods are worth the effort you put into them, even if they have an inherent risk. Sometimes it can feel like a bit much I know, but it's a universal axiom that can be applied for everyone, regardless of their stage of play. It makes no sense to provide something like your proposal that's pretty much just for endgame achievers, on the basis that it can only provide benefit for a small group instead of all members.

The re-implementation of /market I do agree with, though with what I know of the admin and mod staff it's probably already in the works. If it's anything like the last server iteration, features we had before will be introduced in stages as the staff working on it finds the time, and we're not to the stage of fully setting up /market and shops yet.

Awards

12 hours ago, Slackernet said:

your ideas are fine but they do not fit what the mod dev intended . The sign you speak of. I looked into it. to remove the warp it also removes the knowledge. So no sign or admin command will work as you thought

the ftb wiki explains it like this

Warp is a mechanic added by Thaumcraft 4. As the player performs more Research in the Thaumonomicon, they will accrue Warp from topics that are noted to contain "Forbidden Knowledge." Warp may also be acquired when crafting certain items in an Infusion Altar or by being attacked by entities of an eldritch nature. With the more Warp a player attains, the more severe and frequent Warp events will occur

super nodes as you explained are end game and need to be earned

changing it to buycraft instead of minecraft has  proven to make people finish faster, have no challenge, become bored and either quit or just start messing up the server

finally we cannot add mods to the pack. the dev creates it and we tweak it to run as best it can

tinting armour i do believe ( i could be wrong) would entail adding a mod to the pack

that can't be done as  every user would then have to add that mod manually to be able to play creating a major hassle to all that play

the discord update / announcements I do think is a good idea and should be considered as whitelist signup is there

people are on discord first and additional info always is helpful

I understand that you do not want to turn it into a buycraft server but I have to argue one point you made for the sake  of understanding. You can very easily set someone's warp to 0 without taking away the knowledge that the warp came with. You just do

/tc warp <player> set 0 TEMP
/tc warp <player> set 0 
/tc warp <player> set 0 PERM

Again, I understand you don't want to do this and it is toally up to you but it's not exactly accurate to argue that it can't be done. I just tested it on singleplayer and it worked just fine.

Secondly, and I want to make it clear I mean no disrespect, I have heard both "we can't do that because it's not what the mod author intended" and "we can't do that because it gives the player too much of an advantage." It seems to me more like you don't want to do it because you want the server to be more challenging. This is fine. But with how I have heard it expressed it seems contradictory and like you want to have it both ways. If it is the case that you want it to me more challenging please just say that.

Thank you again for your response.

and your argument was only partially correct. those commands are creative mode / op mode

paste from the wiki

https://thaumcraft-4.fandom.com/wiki/Warp

You can turn warp option off in the config file - "Wuss Mode". Thus you will not gain any warp, but also any research that requires warp will be unavailable.

Finally, it is possible to resort to "creative/op" commands. The following commands will remove all warp (except from equipment)

/tc warp <playername> set 0 TEMP
/tc warp <playername> set 0 
/tc warp <playername> set 0 PERM

so we are not making op available or an option on any mod that has always been our policy

so to remove warp you would have to play through or remove the knowledge.

do you know how many complains about imbued fire we get because it's disabled but has an easy workaround  ?????

folks would rather bitch about it then go find the answer online

warp is part of the mod and it stays that way. no one is forcing people to do the mod its a choice. 

Edited by Slackernet

• Member ID:  25666
  • Group:  + Minecraft Moderator
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  29
  • Achievement Points:  191

A magic mod such as thaumcraf is one of exploration. Even the the theme as a thaumaturge is to discover new ways to use resources at your disposal in different ways(ie essentia,vis and knowledge). When you start thaumcraft there is no way you can blaze through the entire mod and experience every tool available. I’m guilty of this as I’ve never tried the forbidden magic spawned or golems. Providing an endgame resource gives a player an immediate goal rather than working and learning through the nook and crannies of the ultimate furnace or chameleon tools. Not to mention an endgame node is not comprised of only thaumcraft but of many other mods working in conjunction with each other. You effectively remove the exploration and discovery of how other mods work with thaumcraft because there is no need to. Also going through the process of node bullying is also important to an early game player. They have to choose between getting more energized vis or using the evis immediately

Edited by Purfy

Awards

5 hours ago, Slackernet said:

and your argument was only partially correct. those commands are creative mode / op mode

paste from the wiki

https://thaumcraft-4.fandom.com/wiki/Warp

You can turn warp option off in the config file - "Wuss Mode". Thus you will not gain any warp, but also any research that requires warp will be unavailable.

Finally, it is possible to resort to "creative/op" commands. The following commands will remove all warp (except from equipment)

/tc warp <playername> set 0 TEMP
/tc warp <playername> set 0 
/tc warp <playername> set 0 PERM

so we are not making op available or an option on any mod that has always been our policy

so to remove warp you would have to play through or remove the knowledge.

do you know how many complains about imbued fire we get because it's disabled but has an easy workaround  ?????

folks would rather bitch about it then go find the answer online

warp is part of the mod and it stays that way. no one is forcing people to do the mod its a choice. 

I see. That I did not know. Thank you for expanding my understanding.

How about the idea of server titles. Hopefully not ones that you have to buy with real cash, but ones you can buy with in game money. I once was admin on an old tekkit server where we had these. You just put a little bracketed title before the name of a person. I also like the idea of earning these titles and having the admins give them out at their disgression.

@Slackernet What would you think of the idea of allowing players to trade in knowledge fragments for glyphed stone, that cool block from thaumic tinkerer? They drop one each when you destroy them and you might normally be able to get them if Vajra's silk touch mode worked but it doesn't. The only problem I see is getting them in the first place. In single player the block did not show up in nei or the search box for creative but I managed to middle click one out of the outer lands just the same and I got one to check it's id, which is 944:5 however when I tried to spawn more in it said there is no such item with that id. Strange, but probably not unworkable. If not for trade then maybe just let us buy them?

Edited by DarthCuddlefluff

try silk touch on a tinkers tool we know that works

@Slackernet Tried that before and it didn't work. Just tried it again now and it still did not work. FTB wiki says that only the vajra does it.

25 minutes ago, Slackernet said:

try silk touch on a tinkers tool we know that works

well if the mod doesn't work as intended there isn't a whole lot that can be done since there is no development on version 1.7 for the last couple of years

On 4/8/2019 at 3:37 AM, Slackernet said:

well if the mod doesn't work as intended there isn't a whole lot that can be done since there is no development on version 1.7 for the last couple of years

The problem is it needs to be enabled in the settings. It's only not working properly if it isn't working but it is enabled. Also what exactly do you mean that there is nothing you can do? You have the power to give out infinite amounts of these if you wish so far as I can see. You could easily rectify the problem.

Edited by DarthCuddlefluff

its not  our job to make this game

give or buy craft

its minecraft  go make it

Edited by Slackernet

• 4 months later...

On 4/9/2019 at 6:54 AM, Slackernet said:

its not  our job to make this game

give or buy craft

its minecraft  go make it

Sorry if I came across as asking you to "make the game" I just thought it was a really neat block that sadly cannot be used by players when it has real potential for building.