Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

New 2nd gen i7 sandybridge

Mr-Turkey

• Member ID:  681
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  61
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  385
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/18/1977

Not sure if there is a thread already going on this?

But jeez these chips look amazing!

Comparison on passmark performance test benchmark software -

i7 980x  score 10460 cost (uk) £760 cheapest I can find

i7 2600k sandybridge score 9178 cost (uk) £252

The new sandybridge can apparently be safely overclocked from 3.4ghz to 4.3ghz with the stock intel cooler! Max temp 72 degrees in stress tests. (Imagine how it will run with some nice aftermarket cooling!

Runs around a 3rd of the power of the 980x and runs much cooler.

I am back at work next week and will be starting my overtime to save up for a system change seeing as my old ddr2 system is very out of date now.

Cpu £252

Mobo £140

Mem £60

Psu  £60

Should be up and running by march , wish me luck lol.

Any thoughts and opinions on the new i7s welcome.

Cheers

Paul.

• Member ID:  922
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  72
  • Topic Count:  149
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3472
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Achievement Points:  23224
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/01/1975

sounds nice, but is this a new socket ?

i would wait a bit before upgrading, i think more will come out and might be even better

• Member ID:  1425
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  154
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  850
  • Birthday:  02/07/1969

• Member ID:  922
  • Followers:  72
  • Topic Count:  149
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3472
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Achievement Points:  23224
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/01/1975

yes thats why im asking my socket is 1156 not 1155

• Member ID:  1924
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1012
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Achievement Points:  5864
  • Birthday:  05/30/1973

I started a Sandy bridge topic in the "computer help" section...

Sandy is really good. The real question is: is your system really outdated to your taste and need? If the answer is yes, have at her!!!!

In my situation, my Core2Quad Q9550 @ 3.8 is (IMHO) bottlenecking my 5870 graphics card. I was getting pretty much the same 3Dmarks06 results with a GTX260 core 216 (which is half the performance of the 5870)...still it's a 20 000 3dmarks06...

So yes, for gaming, I could benefit from Sandy bridge... for everything else, jeez the computer is already really fast! Can I wait? Probably. AMD bulldozer might be good enough when it comes out to be a serious contender (coming out around April). If not, IVY BRIDGE, the 22nm refresh of Sandy bridge, with be even more powerful, new socket again (s2011)...with 2 full 16x PCI-E slots...and support for upcoming 6 core CPUs...(coming out at the end of 2011)...

Sandy is interestingly more powerful than the socket 1366 Quads and stock and for cheaper, even factoring-in the twin 16x slots...factor-in an EASY AS HELL 4.6GHz stable overclock with the help of a $50 avg. heatsink, it's a steal...

IVY bridge will be a lot more powerful again, but it's not gonna be the actual games that will push the limits...

Wait until the next-gen consoles are coming out to see the need for more powerful computers...right now, nothing pushes them really...

• Member ID:  681
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  61
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  385
  • Birthday:  07/18/1977

CplMOFO

I started a Sandy bridge topic in the "computer help" section...

Sandy is really good. The real question is: is your system really outdated to your taste and need? If the answer is yes, have at her!!!!

In my situation, my Core2Quad Q9550 @ 3.8 is (IMHO) bottlenecking my 5870 graphics card. I was getting pretty much the same 3Dmarks06 results with a GTX260 core 216 (which is half the performance of the 5870)...still it's a 20 000 3dmarks06...

So yes, for gaming, I could benefit from Sandy bridge... for everything else, jeez the computer is already really fast! Can I wait? Probably. AMD bulldozer might be good enough when it comes out to be a serious contender (coming out around April). If not, IVY BRIDGE, the 22nm refresh of Sandy bridge, with be even more powerful, new socket again (s2011)...with 2 full 16x PCI-E slots...and support for upcoming 6 core CPUs...(coming out at the end of 2011)...

Sandy is interestingly more powerful than the socket 1366 Quads and stock and for cheaper, even factoring-in the twin 16x slots...factor-in an EASY AS HELL 4.6GHz stable overclock with the help of a $50 avg. heatsink, it's a steal...

IVY bridge will be a lot more powerful again, but it's not gonna be the actual games that will push the limits...

Wait until the next-gen consoles are coming out to see the need for more powerful computers...right now, nothing pushes them really...

Hi bud , sorry I should have checked to see if there was a thread going on this 1st.

Well for me I was planning to upgrade to the i7 950 , a 1366 mobo and some decent ddr3 ram this year anyway. 

Seeing this new cpu has made me very happy as it appears to be much better than the 950 in many ways so I will go with the 2600k , 1155 mobo and some nice 2000mhz ddr3 I recon.

My current system is ok , Q8300 (which is terrible for oc'ing ,I have only managed to get it to 3.1ghz stable) , HD 5850 , crap mobo and some pretty slow by todays standard 800mhz ddr2 memory.

I will proberly get a new gpu as well towards the end of the year and then I will be happy for a couple of years I recon.

Cheers

Paul.

• Member ID:  192
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  911
  • Birthday:  09/22/1974

I have a 965 Extreme and honestly, the Pheonom II 955 BE is just as good for gaming.  Built two PCs with the 955 black edition and I can tell no difference in gaming compared to my once $1000 processor.  There are two alike, but be sure to get the one with C3 stepping.  Trust me don't waste your time.  I think AMDs run better for gaming and it can do 3.6-3.8 on air no problem.  I have run my intel to 4.0 and saw no performace increase for gaming and backed it off to 3.6.  Everything must be in sink.  Ram, CPU, GPU.  If you run 1600 ddr3 then run your processor at 3.6  Good benchmarks don't = better gaming.  I've considered selling my Intel.  Get the 955 and get a better GPU.  The Nvidia 580s are very good. 

Awards