Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

World Cup: Brazil

Shamu

• Member ID:  715
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  418
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2178
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Achievement Points:  16606
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  11/04/1943
  • Device:  Windows

So this is what we can look forward to for the World Cup in Brazil and followed by the summer Olympics:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/2013/07/06/soccer-referee-decapitated-brazil-stabbing-maranhao/2495199/

Is there something wrong in the head with soccer aficionados?

• Member ID:  82
  • Group:  ** Registered Users
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1534
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  5020
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Achievement Points:  131491
  • Days Won:  116

Well lunatics are everywhere, i dunno how the head of soccer (FIFA)  (he is a twat by the way) could have possibly stopped that from happening, but nobody will be on a football field in the world cup knifing any other players or referees, unless Brazil don't win that is :whistle:

• Member ID:  2048
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Topic Count:  294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  6689
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Achievement Points:  48999
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  05/30/1967

wow.thats one dangerous place to be

I guess because I am not a soccer fan I cannot see what stirs the passions of players and fans alike in soccer. The emotions of players and fans alike seem to far exceed that of most other professional sports and unfortunately often resulting in bad behavior. I guess I just don't understand what drives the passion.

I will follow the World Cup as a casual observer, maybe watching bits and pieces of a game or two but mostly relying on the Internet for results. The game action for me is just too slow and boring to maintain my interest. I am also quite ready to admit I do not understand or appreciate the nuances of the game which would certainly compromise my appreciation of the game.

Why the fans can become so violent and destructive is beyond me. Perhaps over time it has become an ingrained culture, something that had become accepted behavior. Until recently.

Kudos to soccer organizations for trying to control fan behavior while still trying to maintain the team passion of the fans. A very difficult task, no easy job. It will take time.

Lots of time.

Edited by Shamu

• Member ID:  1238
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  6083
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Achievement Points:  50727
  • Days Won:  11
  • Device:  Kindle Fire

I guess because I am not a soccer fan I cannot see what stirs the passions of players and fans alike in soccer. The emotions of players and fans alike seem to far exceed that of most other professional sports and unfortunately often resulting in bad behavior. I guess I just don't understand what drives the passion.

I will follow the World Cup as a casual observer, maybe watching bits and pieces of a game or two but mostly relying on the Internet for results. The game action for me is just too slow and boring to maintain my interest. I am also quite ready to admit I do not understand or appreciate the nuances of the game which would certainly compromise my appreciation of the game.

Why the fans can become so violent and destructive is beyond me. Perhaps over time it has become an ingrained culture, something that had become accepted behavior. Until recently.

Kudos to soccer organizations for trying to control fan behavior while still trying to maintain the team passion of the fans. A very difficult task, no easy job. It will take time.

Lots of time.

Your errors are to, in any way, believe that this sort of violence is common in the world of association football - it isn't - or that it is normal - it isn't.

Consider this: American Football: Oakland riots highlight ugly side of US sport

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/american-football-oakland-riots-highlight-ugly-side-of-us-sport-605259.html

This was abnormal and made headlines around the world because it was.

@@DEEJAYKEG

I am rather sure violence has historically been prevalent in soccer matches more so than any other major sport. Granted all sports have their bad moments such as the one you linked to however I just think soccer has lead the way because of the rabid fan base.

Also note most American incidents such as the one in Oakland are usually after a win or loss in the finals of championship game. Other games have their moments but the finals are worse. Winning a championship can be painful for the winning city.

Not saying ugliness cannot be found anywhere you look but it has been my impression for many years that soccer fans have been the most problematic.

Much has been done to control the matter by both the countries and leagues and certainly the event in Brazil is not indicative of the sport in general.

I also acknowledge it is improving.

• Member ID:  822
  • Followers:  87
  • Topic Count:  317
  • Content Count:  5477
  • Content Per Day:  1.03
  • Achievement Points:  42632
  • Days Won:  20
  • Birthday:  03/01/1967

I wouldn't worry too much about "violence" Shamu. My wife is Brazilian, I have been to Brazil  many many  times  and I can tell you with absolute certainty that the first thing those violent assholes do when Brazil plays, or there is a good game on TV is get drunk and watch. You are a million times more likely to die in Brazil as a result of a car or motorcycle accident, sexually transmitted disease or for being a by-stander during a bank robbery. There is violence during soccer games, but its usually between radical fans of teams such as Flamengo-Fuminense and not to the extent of the 1990's English hooliganism.  

A good tip for those who are going to the 2014 World Cup and  want to save money and have fun at the same time: Get a nice hotel room with a 60" TV set, a good bottle of fine "cachaca" and a couple of "gatas" or "garotinhas". You will have, believe me, a lot of fun and experience the world cup to the fullest whether you are soccer fan or know shit about soccer lol

• Member ID:  822
  • Followers:  87
  • Topic Count:  317
  • Content Count:  5477
  • Content Per Day:  1.03
  • Achievement Points:  42632
  • Days Won:  20
  • Birthday:  03/01/1967

Lots of time.

Baseball, hockey and football are all nice and popular sports, but soccer is by far the most popular sport in the world. There has been many soccers player murdered by fans for making mistakes such as scoring on their own nets purely by chance. I can give you a good example: Andres Escobar (not Pablo) made this mistake during the USa 1994 world cup and was killed shortly after returning to Colombia:

Lebron James would be long dead if he was playing in the "Colombian NBA" and decided to leave the Cavaliers for the Miami heat

Edited by Joe Canadian

Lots of time.

Baseball, hockey and football are all nice and popular sports, but soccer is by far the most popular sport in the world. There has been many soccers player murdered by fans for making mistakes such as scoring on their own nets purely by chance. I can give you a good example: Andres Escobar (not Pablo) made this mistake during the USa 1994 world cup and was killed shortly after returning to Colombia:

Lebron James would be long dead if he was playing in the "Colombian NBA" and decided to leave the Cavaliers for the Miami heat

Sorry Joe gotta pull you up on this one, he was killed in some drug dispute because it seems some drug cartel or whatever had money riding on the result, so when he got back home and went out on the town they murdered him, it wasn't angry fans.

http://worldsoccer.about.com/od/Soccer-History/a/The-Andres-Escobar-Murder.htm

Edited by Sonovabich

@@Sonovabich

A lot of unsavory people gamble on major sports but don't necessarily go out and murder a player for an error. Bill Buckner in the 1966 World Series would have been a likely candidate for murder if anyone was so inclined. http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2008/10/21/top-10-world-series-moments/slide/bill-buckners-error/

Granted too that the drug cartels are certainly not your average fan base and cannot be compared to the norm.

Fact still remains that he was murdered over soccer. Regardless of who committed the violence a soccer play initiated the action.

Was this post made just to attack soccer? if it wasn't originally then that's how it has turned out, i don't understand the point of it at all, if you don't like it don't watch it. nobody is forcing anyone to watch soccer, i don't watch any American sports  i don't make posts about them because i have no interest in them whatsoever, i like Football (the correct name, don't see why we have to call it soccer to appease a nation that don't like it) next years world cup will have the biggest TV audiences of all time, that's because it is by far the worlds most popular game, i suppose when that many people are passionate then bad things can happen sometimes.

Edited by Sonovabich

Was this post made just to attack soccer? if it wasn't originally then that's how it has turned out, i don't understand the point of it at all, if you don't like it don't watch it. nobody is forcing anyone to watch soccer, i don't watch any American sports  i don't make posts about them because i have no interest in them whatsoever, i like Football (the correct name, don't see why we have to call it soccer to appease a nation that don't like it) next years world cup will have the biggest TV audiences of all time, that's because it is by far the worlds most popular game, i suppose when that many people are passionate then bad things can happen sometimes.

The lead post was about the potential for violence in soccer considering the World Cup is scheduled for Brazil. It seems have remained consistent by focusing on the violence but not the game itself. In fact it has even somewhat stayed focused on Brazil even though there is great potential to drag other countries into the discussion.

Personally I have admitted I do not find soccer entertaining and my posts have made that clear but I never denigrated the game itself, only the violence surrounding it.

The topic seems to have remained consistent to date.

Edited by Shamu

• Member ID:  698
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1145
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Achievement Points:  7232
  • Days Won:  0

I was in lloret de mar (Great Place), Spain, during a World Cup. They take it as seriously as we take football. I really enjoyed sitting at a local place sipping Sangria and watching the game.

Soccer is okay, but it's not worth losing your head over.

LandShark

P.S. I can't say that watching Soccer was any where near as fun as watching football, but the Sangria was sure good  ;-)