Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Population - Idle Timers

• Member ID:  3113
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  245
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1228
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Achievement Points:  9622
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/15/1980

Hey everyone.  Obviously our population has been down for the last two weeks.  Not really a surprise with Summer, World Cup, Hardline Beta, Watch Dogs, Fathers Day and now the Summer Steam Sale.  

I have turned off the idle kicker for the time being, so if you can remember, please log in to the server even if you are just sitting there.   Heck, you can even load it in the background while you are playing another game.  Please remember that most computers and GPUs these days can handle multi-threading two games at once, so you shouldn't see any performance impact.  It really helps when we get our 7-10 people on in the morning.  Nearly every time we have 7-10 people on around noon, the server will end up full for the rest of the night.   

TL;DR - Please log in to the server whenever possible, to idly sit there so we can populate it.

Thanks for the help XI.

• Member ID:  20789
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  936
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  7004
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/18/1981

I will do my best to stay on as long as needed.

Cheers!

• Member ID:  20780
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  91
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  536

I dont get in until early evening but i'll try and help out best i can as well.

Edited by MILESHIGH

• Member ID:  20902
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  136
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1279
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Achievement Points:  9614
  • Birthday:  12/02/1982

Hey odd did the small maps get taken out?

• Member ID:  20884
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  274
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  1812
  • Birthday:  06/10/1989

I was wondering why i wasnt being kicked while afk anymore

Hey odd did the small maps get taken out?

yes I have removed the small maps.  I dont handle that map list, and if Bubbles wants to use it he needs to set a time window for the small maps to turn off at 3pm-4pm.  The issue in the last 2 weeks, with population as low as its been, is if the regular morning players arent on, the server doesnt populate.  So then in the afternoon or evening it never changes to the large player map.  The server changes to large maps when it reaches 20 players.  Since it never reaches 20 players (lately) it doesnt change to the large maps.  Thus, at night, people never join our server because its stuck on Domination with no one playing.  People do not typically search for Domination maps.  I did some messing around and on nights where we have 0 players, if I leave it on the small maps, not a single person will join.  But if its empty at night and I switch it to CQ Large, people start joining.  Hopefully Dragons Teeth brings back our population.

• Member ID:  20726
  • Content Count:  78
  • Achievement Points:  465

I imagine it will, people will want the guns, and to see the new content. 

• Member ID:  19683
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  578
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Achievement Points:  4968
  • Device:  iPhone

You could still have a <20 player map cycle which just includes maps that work well on CQ or CQL with few players. There are a few out there.

Gulf of Oman CQsmall works well with small numbers of players, especially when the storm hits and the jets are effectively grounded.

Peaks works well for small player numbers since it's all infantry, so even with 5 players per team you won't get a tank-whoring fest.

Locker and Metro obviously fit CQ and CQL even with few players - Metro is probably a better map with 20 players than with 60 anyway.

The only Naval Strike map that does not work in CQL with <20 players is probably the one with the sub base in the center - the others are all pretty open maps on a central island. Lots of opportunity for infantry there.

Flood Zone CQsmall does good on the EU HC server when it's low on people, just remember to wipe the roof with a helicopter roadrage every few minutes.

You could try slipping in a list like that, see if it makes a difference.

You could still have a <20 player map cycle which just includes maps that work well on CQ or CQL with few players. There are a few out there.

Gulf of Oman CQsmall works well with small numbers of players, especially when the storm hits and the jets are effectively grounded.

Peaks works well for small player numbers since it's all infantry, so even with 5 players per team you won't get a tank-whoring fest.

Locker and Metro obviously fit CQ and CQL even with few players - Metro is probably a better map with 20 players than with 60 anyway.

The only Naval Strike map that does not work in CQL with <20 players is probably the one with the sub base in the center - the others are all pretty open maps on a central island. Lots of opportunity for infantry there.

Flood Zone CQsmall does good on the EU HC server when it's low on people, just remember to wipe the roof with a helicopter roadrage every few minutes.

You could try slipping in a list like that, see if it makes a difference.

really bubbles just needs to add a time change so it doesnt play small maps after 3pm..

I just did it myself.

• Member ID:  20925
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  121
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  766
  • Birthday:  08/30/1980

yes I have removed the small maps.  I dont handle that map list, and if Bubbles wants to use it he needs to set a time window for the small maps to turn off at 3pm-4pm.  The issue in the last 2 weeks, with population as low as its been, is if the regular morning players arent on, the server doesnt populate.  So then in the afternoon or evening it never changes to the large player map.  The server changes to large maps when it reaches 20 players.  Since it never reaches 20 players (lately) it doesnt change to the large maps.  Thus, at night, people never join our server because its stuck on Domination with no one playing.  People do not typically search for Domination maps.  I did some messing around and on nights where we have 0 players, if I leave it on the small maps, not a single person will join.  But if its empty at night and I switch it to CQ Large, people start joining.  Hopefully Dragons Teeth brings back our population.

I havent been on much but from what i have been on. The server is busy after 6pm PST time. As for the day I cant say as I been back to work again. But I dont think removing maps or sizes is going to change anything. Not too many people care to play the huge maps with small amounts of people. They take way way too long to play and get boring fast. Secondly most of the bigger maps arent much fun at all. At least with the domination, CTF and Obliteration people will still join an play as they are fast and change often. The Bad part about the small maps is they get played over and over again and usually Metro and Locker is the only maps played. There are so many random people on during the day between foXI and XI that some people should be able to have a right to change the map to get the more people and thats it. Not having an admin on all the time to do so makes it hard to get maps changed or anything so we can get more people. I understand that you have to be an Admin to have these rights. But if you want the server to get stable again changing the map list isnt going to do it.

I havent been on much but from what i have been on. The server is busy after 6pm PST time. As for the day I cant say as I been back to work again. But I dont think removing maps or sizes is going to change anything. Not too many people care to play the huge maps with small amounts of people. They take way way too long to play and get boring fast. Secondly most of the bigger maps arent much fun at all. At least with the domination, CTF and Obliteration people will still join an play as they are fast and change often. The Bad part about the small maps is they get played over and over again and usually Metro and Locker is the only maps played. There are so many random people on during the day between foXI and XI that some people should be able to have a right to change the map to get the more people and thats it. Not having an admin on all the time to do so makes it hard to get maps changed or anything so we can get more people. I understand that you have to be an Admin to have these rights. But if you want the server to get stable again changing the map list isnt going to do it.

I am watching the server from 6am to usually 8pm Mon-Fri.  If anyone needs me they just need to send a PM and Ill get an email notification.  

Changing the map from small to CQ Large has a significant effect on our population.  If I had time I would show the last 3 weeks population by the hour and annotate when I changed it from small to large.  Small maps are fine.  But if the server never fills by the evening it never will on the small map pack.  At least with CQ Large it does start to fill.  Most the BF population searches servers running CQ Large.  

P.S.  We can always add more modes and maps to the small list.  Just tell me what you want.

• Member ID:  20780
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  91
  • Achievement Points:  536

What about a bigger "vote map" selection? Leave it to the players on to pick what they want to play?

Edited by MILESHIGH

What about a bigger "vote map" selection? Leave it to the players on to pick what they want to play?

For Large CQ maplist we have every map and mode possible for CQ, CA and OB.

For the small maps, just request what you guys want to play and we can add them no problem.

CTF and Domination.

I can't handle another near hour long Zavod 311 Conquest Large map with 12 people.

I fixed the map schedule last night, so CQ large map rotation wont kick in until 3pm CST or when it reaches 14 players

Added 5 more maps to small map list.  3 more CTF and 2 DOM

• Member ID:  20902
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  136
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1279
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Achievement Points:  9614
  • Birthday:  12/02/1982

Added 5 more maps to small map list.  3 more CTF and 2 DOM

I have an idea. put 1 small map vote option, per vote map in to the large map options until the server starts picking up again. then remove it?

Naval Assault domination maps perhaps?

maybe a TDM on Zavod, Lost Islands, and Dawnbreaker?

• Member ID:  349
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  821
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Achievement Points:  5195
  • Birthday:  01/27/1971

Bringing the fun back to the server! Ultimate Map Manager's small map list is set to 16 players verses 12, and the large map list from 17 to 64. What this means, when the player count reaches 17, the large map list will load and switch back when levels drop off below 17. One other change made by an head admin that makes this possible, which I support, is the removal of the suggested time constraint put on the small map list. 

Lets see how this works?

I'm also looking at turning back on the Adaptive Server Size, not sure why it is off? There is a trend when the server transitions to large maps where the number of players count is low, below 22. These rounds take an enormous amount of time to complete, often nearly an hour, which frequently leads to nearly a complete bail on the server.

I have an idea. put 1 small map vote option, per vote map in to the large map options until the server starts picking up again. then remove it?

I wish we could.  But then the problem is that if people vote for the small maplist and it wins somehow, it would essentially boot all other players out of the server. 

Naval Assault domination maps perhaps?

maybe a TDM on Zavod, Lost Islands, and Dawnbreaker?

We do have the option to add more game modes if you want.  Rush, Defuse, TDM, etc.

Bringing the fun back to the server! Ultimate Map Manager's small map list is set to 16 players verses 12, and the large map list from 17 to 64. What this means, when the player count reaches 17, the large map list will load and switch back when levels drop off below 17. One other change made by an head admin that makes this possible, which I support, is the removal of the suggested time constraint put on the small map list. 

Lets see how this works?

I'm also looking at turning back on the Adaptive Server Size, not sure why it is off? There is a trend when the server transitions to large maps where the number of players count is low, below 22. These rounds take an enormous amount of time to complete, often nearly an hour, which frequently leads to nearly a complete bail on the server.

Im not sure where you are getting any of this incorrect information.  Please see my latest post in the Admin subforum.  

Heres a fancy spreadsheet where I keep track of our population and settings.  Figured I would share it with you guys.

OzRnm6R.png

Edited by OddJob001

• Member ID:  375
  • Group:  ++++ Senior Admin
  • Followers:  92
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  4065
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Achievement Points:  37160
  • Days Won:  45
  • Birthday:  06/01/1970
  • Device:  iPhone

odd job . get in server .pick up a gun and shoot people and have fun ,!!!!!!

odd job . get in server .pick up a gun and shoot people and have fun ,!!!!!!

wish i had time :(

the only reason I have these spreadsheets and numbers is because they are the only battlefield related thing I can do at work all day.  lol

Numbers look like Im working.  

Playing the game probably wouldnt make my boss happy haha

Edited by OddJob001