Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Modifying and Upgradin my Dell.

Damage

• Member ID:  1683
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  53
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  347
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/18/1996

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen! I've figured it's been a while since I've posted for help on something, (sadely my last post didnt work out :P) But with all seriousness I thought the Xtreme Idiots would be deffinetely the place to turn to in this sort of help :D

If you are willing to help of course, I am working on modifying my Dell Case and getting a new GPU and PS. 

So I know alot of you have experience on these things and I have a few questions if you are willing to look into this more.

Current Rig:

Operating Syste: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU: Intel Core i5 760  @ 2.80GHz  Lynnfield 45nm Technology

RAM: 3.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 664MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0G3HR7 (CPU 1)

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5450

Hard Drives: 244GB Seagate ST9250315AS (SATA) 488GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKS-75V0A0 (SCSI)

Optical Drives: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GH50N

Audio: Logitech G930 Headset

Im planning on getting the

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V

Aaaaand the 

EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P3-1469-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Although I'm still deciding, so if anybody has any better ones that they know of!

Im thinking of maybe a Evga 550 TI 2 gig instead but I think the 560 would be more worth it.

But onto the case modification thing!

(Pics below of my rig)

I think its a medium ATX case (it deffinetely isnt as small as my schools computers :P) and has limited airflow so I got some fans from a friend and got them running, I'm going to be making a vent system for the side so I can put three fans blowing into it and maybe a fan on the inside (Im not sure if thats safe) The two fans on the front are for blowing air out while there is a fan on the back that also blows air out, i'm planning on double fanning that since the internal one isnt very fast. 

Now, some people may think im insane for doing all of these modifications. Well, a 560 wont operate well in a 1 slow Air-out fan environment. 

Buuuut, now for the Power supply! I've seen some reviews on Newegg of people putting there PS's ontop of their case, and i'm thinking that may be a good idea because almost all PS's over 600 watts have a fan on the top, and I dont need any more hot air inside of my case. So I can just mount that thing on the top and do some mounting modifications and take out my 350 watt PS and lead my cords through there and put a fan in its place. (I have no idea if this is possible)

So really my question is, will this all work? Or am I just that insane to even begin thinking so? lol.

THANKS!

So here are some pics of my medium sized Dell Rig (I hate dell, and I hate apple, My comp just acts like a mac sometimes and ehem... doesnt support things LOL)

aUD59.jpg

Mze6Q.jpg

h0Fvp.jpg

JXVsQ.jpg

TUVtB.jpg

GfVeN.jpg

• Member ID:  19
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  101
  • Topic Count:  318
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4444
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Achievement Points:  29399
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  02/29/1968
  • Device:  iPhone

Ya, you can do all that... but it would be easier to get a case that you can mount the PS with the air blowing out of the case (coolermaster haf series.. PS mounts in bottom 'upside down' to blow air out of case'). IF you are a bit limited on funds, you could def do the things you mentioned to get you by.

Good Luck!!!

• Member ID:  2050
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  360
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2359
  • Birthday:  03/10/1952

I have always found that propietary cases like Dell, HP, etc are always set up to where you can not buy an other MB because the outputs are reversed.  I think that is so that you have to go back to them to buy the MB when it fries.  I had a gateway that the mother board fried ( and no I do not want any salt with those), They wanted over 260.00 for  a new motherboard so I said screw it and bought a Cooler Master case and built a new one that will allow you to put what ever you want in it.  Well almost......lol

• Member ID:  2068
  • Group:  +++ COD5 Head Admin
  • Followers:  69
  • Topic Count:  1075
  • Topics Per Day:  0.22
  • Content Count:  8443
  • Content Per Day:  1.73
  • Achievement Points:  75005
  • Days Won:  64
  • Birthday:  05/23/1973
  • Device:  Windows

I agree with Bama.  If you're on a budget, you could do this with a little work of course but airflow will definitely be important here.  With all the fans, I would also think that you would want more air pulled out of the case than pulled in (negative pressure) so you don't have stale air sitting in the case waiting to get pushed out.  Would help with cooling.  The fans on the front typically you would want to pull air in since hot air rises so the lower front fans would pull cool air in and not pull it out.  If you have a fan on top, this would help get rid of the hot air and as far as a fan inside the case, it is not unheard of but you would just need to have the space and mount it properly but I don't think you need that here.  The rear fan and top fan since these would be drawing air out, you would want a decent CFM rating since you will have other fans on the side pulling air in.  In short, from your pictures, I see 2 on the front, 2 on the side, 1 on top, and 1 at the rear.  The front and side, pull air in and the top and rear, pull the air out but do it so you pull more air out than you pull in.  As long as you don't mind a bit of fan noise, you should be alright.

Personally, I'd get another case.  If the Dell mobo is an ATX board, should fit an ATX case that is designed for good setup and airflow and case's are not all that expensive.  With that said, if you go that route, do you homework just to make sure the board would indeed fit into a standard ATX case as some manufactures like Dell and Compaq (etc) sometimes do something proprietary where that would not work.  I've ran into that before.

Anyway, good luck.  It looks like you are on the right track.

Oh, and for the vid card, looks like the one big difference is the 560 is 256bit and the 550 is 196bit with a substantial price difference.  Me personally, since I do things with budget in mind, I'd go with the 550 just because of the cost and spend a few dollars on a new case.  I don't know what the performance difference would be but you can read up on that and see if worth the while.

THOR435
I have always found that propietary cases like Dell, HP, etc are always set up to where you can not buy an other MB because the outputs are reversed.  I think that is so that you have to go back to them to buy the MB when it fries.  I had a gateway that the mother board fried ( and no I do not want any salt with those), They wanted over 260.00 for  a new motherboard so I said screw it and bought a Cooler Master case and built a new one that will allow you to put what ever you want in it.  Well almost......lol

I had Thor's problem.  My Gateway case was proprietary so the case opened on the opposite side and the board was mirrored to that of a standard ATX board.

• Member ID:  1924
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1012
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Achievement Points:  5864
  • Birthday:  05/30/1973

I second the other idiots:

Get a new case!

for the Graphics card, a 550, a 560 and a 560Ti are three completely different card. Get the 560Ti....it's the best of all three, by a wide margin. the 560 you pointed to is just a GTX460 rebranded....

A few months back, while I was helping UKILDME >XI< to upgrade his rig (He had a DELL), we tried to re-use his DELL case...

The wiring was proprietary, and the powersupply was in a different shape...

Like above idiots mentioned, Coolermaster HAF series, Coolermaster 690-series, Antec also has a lot of mid-range cases that would provide you with good airflow and max flex....

If you're looking for something on the cheap, the goldie-oldie ANTEC 300, or the HAF 912 could be considered...

and BTW, for EVGA cards, on the cards with the suffix AR at the end are lifetime warrantied....the KR card you pointed at is not lifetime warrantied...

• Member ID:  260
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  112
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  602
  • Birthday:  06/09/1979

CplMOFO

I second the other idiots:

Get a new case!

for the Graphics card, a 550, a 560 and a 560Ti are three completely different card. Get the 560Ti....it's the best of all three, by a wide margin. the 560 you pointed to is just a GTX460 rebranded....

and BTW, for EVGA cards, on the cards with the suffix AR at the end are lifetime warrantied....the KR card you pointed at is not lifetime warrantied...

+ 1 about the 560ti card being the best but EVGA has a promotion where if you buy a KR suffix card in may or june and register the card with them you get a 10 year warranty free instead of just a 1 or 3 year warranty. So hurry if you want a KR need to have a receipt of purchase in june and register before 7/30/11.  I would go for the peace of mind of an AR card if you get 1 from EVGA . I own 3 of their cards and 1 mobo all have lifetime warranty. Good stuff you just always need to register your stuff with EVGA for any warranty including AR or A1 stuff. 

BTW Here is my affiliate code if you would like you can use it when you register any EVGA product.    069N4LOGUH