Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Hydogen Cell Add Ons

billyblade

• Member ID:  34
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  47
  • Topic Count:  182
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2097
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  14880
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/29/1966

I drive an 82 F100 with a 302. I get about 12 to 14 mpg in town. I'm wondering what any of you wrench turning folk think about the hydrogen cell addons that you can make or buy, and whether or not its even worth thinking about with gas being what it is. Anyone can sell some snake oil, i just wanna know that it really came from a snake, ya know?

• Member ID:  2388
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  76
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  453
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1981

I did quite a bit of research on the idea. From what I can gather it's a great idea in theory. However, just like you called it. Snake oil. A lot of people claim a couple more mpg's but that can be attributed to quite a few things. Most of the time, people are doing a tune up while they add one of these things. Also they are being more mindful of their driveing if they are putting one in. Both of these can get you a few more mpg's. The theory is that your alternator is not using anywhere near it's rated amps to charge your battery or run everything is the car. Which is usually true, it isn't. However the more you ask of the alternator, the more of a draw is put on it, thus causing more of a draw on the engine. The more draw on the engine, the less mpg's. Yes you can burn hydrogen in your car, even strait hydrogen will run your car. Just look up mythbusters, they ran an old cadillac on strait hydrogen. And technically it is not even producing strait hydrogen, it is producing browns gas, or a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen which makes sense since it is breaking down water (H2O). The problem comes from the parisitic losses inherent to any mechanical object. You will NEVER get more energy out than you put in. So the gas you put in to run the engine has to turn the alternator harder to charge the plates, losing energy. Then the process of breaking down the water again losses energy, getting it to the engine, loses energy, then burning it again loses a lot of energy. So in the end, no matter what you will be burning more gas to run the thing not to mention adding more weight to the vehicle which in turn loses even more mpg's.

The best thing you can do with a truck like that is to make sure it is running correctly, give it a tune up, make sure you A/F mixture is correct and lose as much weight as possible from the thing.

• Member ID:  1270
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  149
  • Topic Count:  330
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3861
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  34156
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  04/12/1969
  • Device:  Windows

I drive an 82 F100 with a 302. I get about 12 to 14 mpg in town. I'm wondering what any of you wrench turning folk think about the hydrogen cell addons that you can make or buy, and whether or not its even worth thinking about with gas being what it is. Anyone can sell some snake oil, i just wanna know that it really came from a snake, ya know?

snake oil??? cut CobraBite...will flow enough oil...