Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Goodbye To A Living Saint

DEEJAYKEG

• Member ID:  1238
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  6083
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Achievement Points:  50727
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  11
  • Device:  Kindle Fire

I know religion is a banned topic around here so I risk censure for typing this message but I hope the example of the guy I am going to talk about may inspire others and, particularly, comfort those who are facing major health issues currently.

I met Brother Rick Bunch, an American who ran a mission in Thailand, caring for HIV/AIDS sufferers, in February 2011, when he accompanied a priest I was picking up from Heathrow Airport to begin a post as curate of our local parish. Brother Rick made an immediate impression on me. He was visibly in poor health but that didn't cramp his style - he was outgoing, committed and a great guy to talk to. We had common ground - one of my former areas of "business" was investigating people trafficking and he had rescued women and children from the clutches of gangs in Thailand and Burma. Some women had been in cages and the children had been as young as eight years old. Yes, eight years old!

I returned home announcing to my wife that I had just met "the closest thing to a living saint" possible. Much later, I learned that this guy had worked alongside the Blessed Mother Theresa. He'd also discussed the plight of HIV/AIDS sufferers with our own Queen Elizabeth, whom he respected greatly.

The man confounded doctors. With his complex health problems - he was a diabetic whose heart had been seriously damaged by multiple heart attacks, he suffered from Parkinson's Disease and neuropathy - medical opinion was that he should not have been still alive! But he was! We knew why he was, of course, and Who was keeping him going! But his attitude to suffering was that it, along with everything else we are given, was a gift. The question to be asked was not "Dear God, why do you permit this?" but "Dear God, what lesson am I expected to learn from this?".

The world has lost a mighty agent for love and goodness and I am saddened to learn of his passing.

But his example can inspire others - doctors are not the arbiters of life and death... That privilege belongs to

He who brought you into being.

Farewell to an extraordinary man. RIP +

To read more abour Br R Bunch, see: http://soltnews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/br-rick-bunch-solt-rest-in-peace.html

• Member ID:  20166
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  40
  • Topic Count:  611
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  7654
  • Content Per Day:  1.96
  • Achievement Points:  53674
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  10/16/1946
  • Device:  Windows

• Member ID:  1642
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  900
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  6952
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/30/1958

yes DJ great story

• Member ID:  220
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  147
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  16950
  • Content Per Day:  3.14
  • Achievement Points:  129714
  • Days Won:  120
  • Birthday:  04/05/1970

Obama bless you DeeJay

• Member ID:  2048
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  6689
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Achievement Points:  48999
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  05/30/1967

the true beauty of suffering?i dont get that those 8yr olds and women in brothels and in cages were given that gift to make something better somehow...but its great he was a person that helped people.