Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Using propane BBQ as a smoker

Joe Canadian

• Member ID:  822
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  87
  • Topic Count:  317
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5477
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Achievement Points:  42632
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  20
  • Birthday:  03/01/1967
  • Device:  Windows

I have a 5 burner propane BBQ. I'm planning to use it as a smoker by removing the grills and using only one burner to create a hot area (where I would place my wood chips) and a cold area where I would hang my sausages. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience doing this. I'm not buying a meat smoker because it's too expensive and looks way too much like a modified bbq.

Thank you for your feedback

• Member ID:  1194
  • Followers:  40
  • Topic Count:  436
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  6692
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Achievement Points:  53094
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  04/15/1960

It works fine Joe. I have a stainless steel gas BBQ that has been collecting cobwebs on my deck for about 10 years since I bought a charcoal BBQ smoker, but when I used it for smoking it worked ok.  You may need to seal up some of the holes on the lid to keep some of the smoke from escaping too quickly, but other than than what you said about removing a grill makes sense. Just be careful to have a little ventilation from the top and that the burner you use for your wood chips is hot enough to create a clean and thin smoke. A heavy white smoke is not good and will give your meat a creosote taste that really isn't good.  I prefer a lighter smokey flavor that's produced with fruit wood like apple as opposed to mesquite or hickory which makes for a very strong smoke flavor.  If you do ever make the switch to charcoal BBQ/smoker, you'll never go back to gas. I use lump mesquite charcoal which makes an exceptionally hot fire and when it's all glowing you just get a light smokey flavor which you can enhance using your own wood chips.

Good luck!

• Member ID:  1213
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  172
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5349
  • Content Per Day:  1.04
  • Achievement Points:  47101
  • Days Won:  174
  • Birthday:  10/11/1961
  • Device:  iPad

I have used my gas grill for smoking. What worked best was a stainless steel box that you load the chips in and has small holes. Seemed to keep the smoke more consistent and kept the wood from flairing up if I placed it to close to the heat source.

• Member ID:  220
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  147
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  16950
  • Content Per Day:  3.19
  • Achievement Points:  129713
  • Days Won:  120
  • Birthday:  04/05/1970

I have a 5 burner propane BBQ. I'm planning to use it as a smoker by removing the grills and using only one burner to create a hot area (where I would place my wood chips) and a cold area where I would hang my sausages. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience doing this. I'm not buying a meat smoker because it's too expensive and looks way too much like a modified bbq.

Thank you for your feedback

A smoker also cooks via the heat convection from the cast iron shell. It is going to be hard to get the temp right if you ask me with a thin metal or aluminum housing. Venting it correctly may also be a problem. Fire on one end.. vent on the other in a  smoke stack.  But worth a Canadian try. Let us know how it goes. 

• Member ID:  1850
  • Followers:  98
  • Topic Count:  328
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8620
  • Content Per Day:  1.75
  • Achievement Points:  55994
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  06/19/1948

I have used my for years. You can use tinfoil to wrap your wood chips in after they have soaked in water for half hour. Poke some holes in them and replace one every dour and a half. PS put some dry chips in the bottom of the foil.

• Member ID:  4888
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2020
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  26312
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/29/1962

I have been looking at a Traeger . . . anyone have one!

My neighbor has one and she is always bringing me something she cooked on her Traeger and its always delicious. She told me to bring my meat over sometime and I could use it whenever I wanted but I would have to bring my own wood ..  . .I told her I have plenty of both .. .lol

I used to have a mesquite tree in my backyard in Calif. talk about some tasty steaks.

• Member ID:  1213
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  172
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5349
  • Content Per Day:  1.04
  • Achievement Points:  47101
  • Days Won:  174
  • Birthday:  10/11/1961
  • Device:  iPad

I have been looking at a Traeger . . . anyone have one!

My neighbor has one and she is always bringing me something she cooked on her Traeger and its always delicious. She told me to bring my meat over sometime and I could use it whenever I wanted but I would have to bring my own wood .. . .I told her I have plenty of both .. .lol

I used to have a mesquite tree in my backyard in Calif. talk about some tasty steaks.

My brother has one and swears by it. I have thought of getting one. But it is more of a dedicated smoker slow cooker. Like having something I can through a burger on once in a while. It ends up. Ring a dedicated high expense unit then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you guys for your feedback. I was planning to do some smoking yesterday but got 3 inches of snow and then freezing rain...I just BBQ the sausages, I don't give a f about bad weather. 

It works fine Joe. I have a stainless steel gas BBQ that has been collecting cobwebs on my deck for about 10 years since I bought a charcoal BBQ smoker, but when I used it for smoking it worked ok.  You may need to seal up some of the holes on the lid to keep some of the smoke from escaping too quickly, but other than than what you said about removing a grill makes sense. Just be careful to have a little ventilation from the top and that the burner you use for your wood chips is hot enough to create a clean and thin smoke. A heavy white smoke is not good and will give your meat a creosote taste that really isn't good.  I prefer a lighter smokey flavor that's produced with fruit wood like apple as opposed to mesquite or hickory which makes for a very strong smoke flavor.  If you do ever make the switch to charcoal BBQ/smoker, you'll never go back to gas. I use lump mesquite charcoal which makes an exceptionally hot fire and when it's all glowing you just get a light smokey flavor which you can enhance using your own wood chips.

Good luck!

Thanks LOM. I prefer charcoal over propane myself big time. My dad actually had a farm a few years ago and we used to make our own charcoal out of dry logs and wood. The best thing I have ever eaten was roasted pig. We would build a pit, throw apple wood inside and light it with gasoline (I love  big fires haha). We would let the logs burn for an hour and then cook a 70-80 pounder hog over the fire. It used to take like 10 hours -I don't remember that well because we were really drunk by the time the hog was ready- but it was well worth the wait. 

One question going back to the smoker thing...how many hours would you smoke freshly made sausages? 

Cheers

• Member ID:  3773
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3138
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  24456
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  11/03/1966

Lol, @@Leadfinger.

Your female neighbor is always bringing cooked food over to your house, and gave you a standing offer to "bring your meat and your wood over anytime?"

Hehahehahheha!

Sounds like a great neighbor . . . Ayaq