Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

New computer advice

BdogXI

• Member ID:  378
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  93
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  559
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/29/1965

Well I am finally going to get a new computer just for gaming and give this computer to my kids.  I have not bought one in a few years and I am an Idiot, so I am looking for advice what to get to have the most kickass system I can get for 1000-1500.  Thanks in advance!

• Member ID:  1128
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  78
  • Topic Count:  1202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  6536
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Achievement Points:  63519
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  10/21/1954
  • Device:  Windows

Bdog one thing you might want to consider is when you do buy one then make sure all parts are the same speed.  Your pc is only as fast as the slowest part regardless what you have in it! There are so many systems out there with a lot of fast stuff on them but there seems to be always that one little part the manufacturers want to dump on unsuspecting buyers so double check and if you have questions get the machines specs your considering and post it here so our experts can give you advice what to upgrade or not. A good place to start would be tiger direct and newegg!

• Member ID:  2520
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  627
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Achievement Points:  3748
  • Birthday:  08/18/1953

For that kinda money you can build a damn rocket sled box. Also what Bigmeandean said..... be careful of some of those "pretty" packages. Many have great stuff in them but not all is compatible with each other therefore it wont compliment your system.

There are dozens of different combinations of components that you can use. Do you have a preference for CPU?  AMD? Intel? Graphics card....either Nvidea or ATI. 

***** Please note...... I would NOT recommend ANYTHING from ...IBUYPOWER.  They are known for building crap and have an even worse reputation for customer service. They are giving Newegg and bad rep as a distributor and that was told to me in casual conversation with a rep that I've known for years there. I have seen many a unhappy person that had to return their computer 3-4 times at their expense to get it right and they still had to come to my pals shop to get fixed or repaired

• Member ID:  906
  • Followers:  144
  • Topic Count:  516
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  17125
  • Content Per Day:  3.25
  • Achievement Points:  148907
  • Days Won:  680
  • Birthday:  11/30/1960

as for me i will never buy one from a dealer ..do it your self it is cheaper and you know what you have ..for a lot less money ..for 1000-1500 you can put one togather and it will be worth 2000 at a dealer.. that is what i did ..my cuz wolftis put it togather with me and it kick ass ..and i have 750. in my new rig ..2500k 2 260 O/K  8 gigs of 1600..xfx 850 pro  and cooler master 922 case .2 tr hard drive ..but i got parts on sale and from clan members for a lot less money

• Member ID:  1924
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Content Count:  1012
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Achievement Points:  5864
  • Birthday:  05/30/1973

The key is not to skimp on critical parts like the case and the power supply. Also, you have to try to build a "balanced system", so every components makes sense in terms of price/performance with each other. By that I mean no $500 CPU into a $50 motherboard...

Right now, for a good gaming system (and for the price you wanna put), the Intel Sandybridge 2500K CPU, on a P67 (or Z68) motherboard is where it's at....

There is heavily discounted  AMD CPUs right now, as AMD is preparing to introduce their new bulldozer CPU lineup..as they're phasing out the 1055T, the 1090T and the 1100T you can get a deal....but it's on End Of Life (EOL) products basically...

Also, don't buy at the "corner store", because their prices are usually outrageous......

I don't want to take anything from BIGMEANDEAN said, but Tigerdirect/compUSA doesn't have the best prices usually. On top of that, SOME of their stuff is crap. They sell outdated parts for too much $$$ sometimes, and they sell their "proprietary" parts....

Brands to consider RIGHT NOW (in my own opinion, no offenses!!!!)...

Motherboard: ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte

RAM: GSKILL, Corsair, Mushkin

Power supply: Corsair, XFX, Antec, Enermax (seek a good 750 watts min, 80+ certification)

Case: Antec, Coolermaster, LianLi

Hard drive: Western digital Black edition

SSD: Intel, Crucial (everything else that doesn't have a Sandforce 2281 controller in it) forget OCZ.....

Coolers: antec, coolermaster, Noctua, Corsair

Videocards: EVGA, MSI, ASUS, PNY (nVIDIA)....MSI, Sapphire, ASUS, XFX (AMD/ATI) (look for warranties....)

• Member ID:  2028
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  1740
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Achievement Points:  10637
  • Birthday:  03/10/1963

For  gaming and for that price you can build a kickass computer

First choose a case with a lot of fans for cooling the coolermaster haf x  is a kickass case  ( My son have that case )http://www.3dgameman.com/reviews/1153/cooler-master-haf-x-case

Than look for a motherboard for about 150 dollar than for cpu  Quad ore six  i prefer 4 core for gaming Intel I7  2600k and put a other cooler on it coolermaster V8

Most importent  is the videocard  a good one is 560TI  ore better

A modulair  psu for 1 card  is 650 watt enough but if you will 2  google for  psu calculator what you need than

About   8gb  ore more mem

You  can used a ssd card for fast windows start but i don`t used it  take a good hd

A good mouse and keybord  logitech ore razer

So take o good look on the internet

pc rick.JPG

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  242
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  202
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1256
  • Birthday:  08/17/1955

Digital Storm has been good for me. They got a good forum you can get help from too.

• Member ID:  1924
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Content Count:  1012
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Achievement Points:  5864
  • Birthday:  05/30/1973

Digitalstorm seems pretty high-end!

The whole thing is that when you purchase from a place like Microcenter (or equivalent), you can get MORE for your $$$ compared to a pre-built...