Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Don't you just lover those car dealerships?

HarryWeezer

• Member ID:  20166
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  40
  • Topic Count:  611
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  7653
  • Content Per Day:  1.97
  • Achievement Points:  53668
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  10/16/1946
  • Device:  Windows

So I bring the Chrysler minivan into the dealer at 9 a.m. and told them: wheel bearing left front and it's under extended warranty, and, that I needed it back by 4 p.m. since I would be taking my wife's car and she needed her's back by then. They said "no problem, we'll take it right in."

To verify the problem they needed only to put the car on the lift and rotate the tire. But four and a half hours later I get this call: "Mr. Como, we've confirmed that it is the left front wheel bearing and it's under warranty. Would you like us to do the repair?"

What I said: "Yes, please do."

What I should have said, "No, don't do the work. I brought the car there because the parking lot at work is full and besides, I rather enjoy listening to that rumbling sound. Besides, since it took you 4 1/2 hours to do what should have required two minutes, you probably won't have it done until mid February."

• Member ID:  20394
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  353
  • Days Won:  0

LMFAO, exactly why I avoid the stealership.

• Member ID:  3440
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  106
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  812
  • Birthday:  02/12/1967

When you said "Warranty" they officially went into we don't give a crap mode. Warranty pay isn't even close to customer pay jobs. I used to work for the stealership. I was lucky I escaped.

• Member ID:  1194
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Topic Count:  436
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  6692
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Achievement Points:  53094
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  04/15/1960

My daughter drives a Scion TC and the hydrolic tubes that hold up the rear hatch gave out. So she called the dealer to see how much to replace, and they quoted $150 each for the two parts and $700 labor. So I decided to look a little more and I found the parts on Amazon for $45 a set, and snapped them into place in about 5 minutes.  Save us $955 just by looking around.

Now if I could only change the fucking spark plugs on my 2005 Expedition. They want $800 to do that. This is why I long for the old days when I actually could work on my own vehicle.

• Member ID:  77
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Followers:  111
  • Topic Count:  1018
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7527
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Achievement Points:  69486
  • Days Won:  47

LOM all car companies are making it very difficult to do your own work.My Chrysler Journey has its battery under the front fender,you have to remove the front tire and the mud shield under the fender to get at the battery.What a crock of shit.I rememeber my fathers Buick Lesabre having 3 spark plugs underneath on the back side of the engine,they had to remove the motor mounts to get at them.My sons Mazda,to change a head lamp bulb,you practically have to take off the front grill LOL.Before we had a lot of V-8's and could do a lot of our own simple work and all kinds of room under the hood.Now we have 4 & 6 cylinders and can't even get our hands in there.LOLThey force us to go to the dealers.$$$$$$$$$$.That's why,YOU THINK!

• Member ID:  2048
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  6689
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Achievement Points:  48999
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  05/30/1967

that's just a shitty dealership that doesn't understand the value of that extended warranty policy.if I helped you I would have found out what the warranty covered.is there only one deductible for one visit or is it a shit policy that is a deductible for each covered component.90 percent have one deductible usually $100 per visit for covered items -no matter how many items-.So if you had the common policy I would have asked your permission to wait one hour while we look over and document any problems that were  obvious on that vehicle  and get everything covered for that one deductible visit and set you up with a loaner or rental car after my evaluation--Its rare when someone walks in with an extended warranty you don't find at least 2-3 things that arent  covered and get 2-6 hrs labor pls parts/its golden.

that was just a shit service person you dealt with and a poor managed dealership service department.

• Member ID:  2048
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  294
  • Content Count:  6689
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Achievement Points:  48999
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  05/30/1967

My daughter drives a Scion TC and the hydrolic tubes that hold up the rear hatch gave out. So she called the dealer to see how much to replace, and they quoted $150 each for the two parts and $700 labor. So I decided to look a little more and I found the parts on Amazon for $45 a set, and snapped them into place in about 5 minutes.  Save us $955 just by looking around.

Now if I could only change the fucking spark plugs on my 2005 Expedition. They want $800 to do that. This is why I long for the old days when I actually could work on my own vehicle.

hey those triton engine have a design flaw that causes spark plugs to break on removal .at that point it turns into removing the cylinder heads  and $2000.0.So some do many and buy a special removal tool that is currently out and charge to take the extrta time and remove that plugs that will break,its common at least 1 to 3 will break and removal is impossible without special tools or removal of the heads.-there are some class action suits -http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-news/investigations/i-team-2000-spark-plugs-what-some-call-design-flaw-ford-calls-routine-wfts1331504090271

• Member ID:  20166
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Topic Count:  611
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  7653
  • Content Per Day:  1.97
  • Achievement Points:  53668
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  10/16/1946

that's just a shitty dealership that doesn't understand the value of that extended warranty policy.if I helped you I would have found out what the warranty covered.is there only one deductible for one visit or is it a shit policy that is a deductible for each covered component.90 percent have one deductible usually $100 per visit for covered items -no matter how many items-.So if you had the common policy I would have asked your permission to wait one hour while we look over and document any problems that were  obvious on that vehicle  and get everything covered for that one deductible visit and set you up with a loaner or rental car after my evaluation--Its rare when someone walks in with an extended warranty you don't find at least 2-3 things that arent  covered and get 2-6 hrs labor pls parts/its golden.

that was just a shit service person you dealt with and a poor managed dealership service department.

Ah, someone who knows! Good points Damage and in fact, I had the car in last month when the MyGig system failed and they had to replace it. At that time, I told them about the wheel bearing problem and they ignored it. And yes, my extended warranty has a $100 deductible per visit - and in just those two visits, it more than paid for itself. The only warranty I buy is on a car; everything else, I can usually fix - I have never in my life paid a carpenter, plumber, electrician or any repairman. Just replaced a part on a clothes washer that was two months out of its one-year warranty.

I fondly remember the days when I could fix just about anything on my '56 straight-six Chevy. 

hey those triton engine have a design flaw that causes spark plugs to break on removal .at that point it turns into removing the cylinder heads  and $2000.0.So some do many and buy a special removal tool that is currently out and charge to take the extrta time and remove that plugs that will break,its common at least 1 to 3 will break and removal is impossible without special tools or removal of the heads.-there are some class action suits -http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-news/investigations/i-team-2000-spark-plugs-what-some-call-design-flaw-ford-calls-routine-wfts1331504090271

Yeah I'm all too familiar with the plugs breaking which is why I won't attempt it myself or go to someplace besides the dealer. They're 100,000 spark plugs and my truck has 105,000 and is running like shit so I need to get it done. The trouble is that the dealership won't guarantee that they won't break them either so yes it could cost $2,000 or more if they fuck up.

A couple years ago I had to have the seal replaced on the rear diff at a transmission shop, a job I normally would have done myself on an older vehicle, but on my fucking truck you have to remove a bunch of shit just to get to the rear diff and it cost about $400 at AAMCO.

Last night I was on Craigslist looking at pre-1976 cars and trucks I would like to drive daily. I'd kind of like a 70-75 C10 Chevy stepside truck or a 69-72 K5 Chevy blazer. I figure I can get one already restored for what my expedition is worth then do all of the maintanence on it myself.

• Member ID:  7547
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  714
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  5030
  • Birthday:  07/10/1984

My daughter drives a Scion TC and the hydrolic tubes that hold up the rear hatch gave out. So she called the dealer to see how much to replace, and they quoted $150 each for the two parts and $700 labor. So I decided to look a little more and I found the parts on Amazon for $45 a set, and snapped them into place in about 5 minutes. Save us $955 just by looking around.

If you're getting charged that amount for 5 minutes labour I'm on the next flight out, cause I'm clearly working in the wrong country!!

If you're getting charged that amount for 5 minutes labour I'm on the next flight out, cause I'm clearly working in the wrong country!!

It probably wouldn't do you much good Onyx. Remember that the mechanic who actually does the labor only received his regular hourly salary for doing the job, which is still probably around $50.

At the dealership I work at over here, if a customer buys the likes of boot struts off us we fit them for free. Any job less than 15 minutes isn't chargable as long as the part is purchaced from us

At the dealership I work at over here, if a customer buys the likes of boot struts off us we fit them for free. Any job less than 15 minutes isn't chargable as long as the part is purchaced from us

I wish they would do that here in the states. Sounds like a great way of doing business.

• Member ID:  2759
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  199
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3496
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  26464
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/27/1990

Yeah I'm all too familiar with the plugs breaking which is why I won't attempt it myself or go to someplace besides the dealer. They're 100,000 spark plugs and my truck has 105,000 and is running like shit so I need to get it done. The trouble is that the dealership won't guarantee that they won't break them either so yes it could cost $2,000 or more if they fuck up.

A couple years ago I had to have the seal replaced on the rear diff at a transmission shop, a job I normally would have done myself on an older vehicle, but on my fucking truck you have to remove a bunch of shit just to get to the rear diff and it cost about $400 at AAMCO.

Last night I was on Craigslist looking at pre-1976 cars and trucks I would like to drive daily. I'd kind of like a 70-75 C10 Chevy stepside truck or a 69-72 K5 Chevy blazer. I figure I can get one already restored for what my expedition is worth then do all of the maintanence on it myself.

That's why I like old cars. They are so cheap to buy and cheap and easy to fix! It's so easy to work on them!

With new cars you need to buy a special tool for just about everything and it's totally unnecessary...

They make cars this way on purpose. They design certain parts to break on schedule and make it so you must go to them for repair. It's a common business practice with large corporations. When the market starts getting saturated, they must turn to alternative forms of revenue streams.

Example: Apple care + fragile phone screnes

Edited by eidolonFIRE

I wish they would do that here in the states. Sounds like a great way of doing business.

It's just basic customer retention tactics LOM.

Whenever those customers need a £250 service they're going to remember that we didn't over charge them or take the piss, so the chances are they'll come to us to have the work carried out

• Member ID:  51
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Followers:  51
  • Topic Count:  342
  • Content Count:  5974
  • Content Per Day:  1.11
  • Achievement Points:  45818
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/26/1949

That's why I like old cars. They are so cheap to buy and cheap and easy to fix! It's so easy to work on them!

With new cars you need to buy a special tool for just about everything and it's totally unnecessary...

They make cars this way on purpose. They design certain parts to break on schedule and make it so you must go to them for repair. It's a common business practice with large corporations. When the market starts getting saturated, they must turn to alternative forms of revenue streams.

Example: Apple care + fragile phone screnes

It's not just cars it's most everything manufactured today...It's called planned obsolescence...It is a business philosophy that took hold in the seventies and is now standard practice... :) :)

Awards