I spent all day yesterday in ceremonies. I was not a firefighter during 9-11
But many of my brothers (and sisters) at my fire company were at the Pentagon on 9-11-2001.
All day I listened to their stories. All from a different perspective.
My Assistant Chief talked about how our team was staged in the courtyard of the Pentagon.
Then being called upon to pull lines into the "C" and "D" ring of the Pentagon. Smoke so thick that you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. The heat so intense that they could only get close enough to keep the fire at bay and keep it from advancing any further.
He talked about the fingermarks in the suet running down the walls of the halls, where people would drag their hands along the walls (because they couldn't see) trying to escape the terror.
He talked about the team being deployed to the roof of the Pentagon and an evacuation was announced because of another potential aircraft headed that way....and their refusal to leave the roof. Fortunately it ended up being nothing.
My Deputy Chief talked about how my north fire station was the rally point for all resources in my county that were made available by other fire companies, with over 200 volunteers ready to be dispatched all over the area to backfill stations, or ultimately to the Pentagon.
In all, my fire company had more than 40 volunteer firefighters in rotating 12 hour shifts at the Pentagon for more than a week. We had 30 administrative staff staged at our north fire station coordinating logistics, supplies, food and whatever else needed to be done.
Here is a video from a fellow life member of my company that now heads up FEMA at Mount Weather, who was at the Pentagon and went to the 'pile' in NYC. If you don't know what Mount Weather is, take some time to do some research.
On 9-11-2001 I was just a simple guy coaching a kids soccer team with my good friend George Gabriel. Turns out Gorge's brother Richard Gabriel, a purple heart recipient of the Vietnam War, was on the plane that hit the Pentagon.
I am a life member now. And every year I hear new stories about that day. Stories that literally make my skin crawl.
I am in awe of the human spirit. To be able to put all the fear and anxiety aside....and do what has to be done. To do what is right not knowing what the outcome may be.
And I am so sad to see where our country is today.....