Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Not Playing For Awile

GixXxer

• Member ID:  2568
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  64
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  390
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/18/1982

Something is wrong with my PC, every time i try to run the game my computer reboots... I'm doing different thing trying to fix the issue, i don't know if it's a software problem or bad memory, video card ect ect... I don't know when it will be resolved, but i will still be on the forums and TS. Hoping this downtime doesn't affect my current application to XI.  See you all around. Cool

• Member ID:  1320
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  611
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  4498
  • Birthday:  01/14/1976

Is it overheating?  Does it reboot in other games?

• Member ID:  177
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  145
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1669
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Achievement Points:  10581
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/08/1961
  • Device:  iPhone

Man, the first place I would look is at the Power Supply. If it is on the "hairy edge" of supporting your hardware and your video card kicks in to high gear when you start the game it might be pushing it over the edge. The voltage drops below the low limit and your computer shuts down and re-boots. I had that happen to me on my old POS when I installed a new video card and didn't have the power to support it

That would be my first check, after that, go through the usual things - re-seating the memory sticks etc

Pharticus
Is it overheating?  Does it reboot in other games?

System Temp is good, and Video card temp is good.... I tried to play Team Fortress and it does the same thing.

NickTheGrip

Man, the first place I would look is at the Power Supply. If it is on the "hairy edge" of supporting your hardware and your video card kicks in to high gear when you start the game it might be pushing it over the edge. The voltage drops below the low limit and your computer shuts down and re-boots. I had that happen to me on my old POS when I installed a new video card and didn't have the power to support it

That would be my first check, after that, go through the usual things - re-seating the memory sticks etc

I removed all my memory and tried one stick at a time trying to find a bad one, and i get same results on each stick or any combination. I disassembled my video card and cleaned all the dust out of it, the temp is good. I wondered if there was something going on with the game itself but when i try other games it does the same thing so i figured its definitely a hardware issue.  I think it would be weird for all my memory sticks to be bad at the same time but who knows. So it's either the memory or possibly the Power Supply. My power supply is 1000 Watt so i know it's not a lack of power, but if one of the rails is failing that cold be causing it. Do you know a way to test the power supply?   Thanks.....

I can give you a procedure to check the PSU with a multimeter, but it is pretty convoluted. Let me know and I will post it

NickTheGrip
I can give you a procedure to check the PSU with a multimeter, but it is pretty convoluted. Let me know and I will post it

Yeah sure ill try it. I know a method that involves a paper clip, just never tried it.   I was going to buy a new PSU, Video Card and RAM and say the hell with it, but i'll test the PSU first and see.  Much Appreciated...

• Member ID:  610
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  102
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  1173
  • Birthday:  08/10/1950

Have you ever "Fix it Center", a program of Microsoft tried?

• Member ID:  1270
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  149
  • Topic Count:  330
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3862
  • Content Per Day:  0.74
  • Achievement Points:  34164
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  04/12/1969
  • Device:  Windows

GixXxer
NickTheGrip

I removed all my memory and tried one stick at a time trying to find a bad one, and i get same results on each stick or any combination. I disassembled my video card and cleaned all the dust out of it, the temp is good. I wondered if there was something going on with the game itself but when i try other games it does the same thing so i figured its definitely a hardware issue.  I think it would be weird for all my memory sticks to be bad at the same time but who knows. So it's either the memory or possibly the Power Supply. My power supply is 1000 Watt so i know it's not a lack of power, but if one of the rails is failing that cold be causing it. Do you know a way to test the power supply?   Thanks.....

borrow another power supply......the easiest test...ty

Raf-X3

Have you ever "Fix it Center", a program of Microsoft tried?

Never really looked at it,  does it tell you if certain components are bad?

google
GixXxer
NickTheGrip

borrow another power supply......the easiest test...ty

Yeah that would be easy, but I don't know anyone with a power supply that would run my PC... I could just buy another PSU and if it dont help i could send it back, lol...

Weird. I Couldn't get to the menu of COD4 without my pc rebooting. I updated the drivers for my video card, no results.  So i took my video card out and plugged it in to my second PCIe slot and updated the drivers and now i can play for 1-2 hours before a reboot happens. I'm lost.  I'm about to buy all new memory, vid card and PSU.   If that don't work, i have a lighter and a whole bottle of lighter fluid  Sealed

A long post but maybe it helps:

Note: These instructions apply to a standard ATX power supply.Essentially all modern consumer power supplies are ATX power supplies.

1. Open your case. In short, this involves turning off thecomputer, removing the power cable and unplugging anything else connecting to theoutside of your computer.

To make testing yourpower supply easier, you should also move your disconnected and opened case somewhere easy to work like on a tableor other flat, non-static surface.

1. Unplug the power connectors from each and every internal device.

Tip: An easy way to confirm that each power connector isunplugged is to work from the bundle of power cables coming from the powersupply inside the PC. Each group of wires should terminate to one or more powerconnectors.

Note: There is no need to remove the actual power supply unitfrom the computer nor is there any reason to disconnect any data cables orother cables not originating from the power supply.

1. Group all of the power cables and connectors together for easytesting.

As you're organizing the power cables, Ihighly recommend rerouting them and pulling them as far away from the computercase as possible. This will make it as easy as possible to test the powersupply connections.

1. Short out pins 15 and 16 on the 24-pin motherboard power connectorwith a small piece of wire.

You'll probably needto take a look at the ATX 24 pin12V Power Supply Pinout table todetermine the locations of these two pins.

1. Plug the PSU into a live outlet and flip the switch on the backof the power supply. Assuming that the power supply is at least minimallyfunctional and that you've properly shorted the pins in Step 5, you should hearthe fan begin to run.

Important: Just because the fan is running does not mean that yourpower supply is supplying power to your devices properly. You'll need tocontinue testing to confirm that.

Note: Some power supplies do not have a switch on the back ofthe unit. If the PSU you're testing does not, the fan should begin to runimmediately after plugging the unit into the wall.

1. Turn on your multimeter and turn the dial to the VDC (Volts DC)setting.

Note: If the multimeter you're using does not have anauto-ranging feature, set the range to 10.00V.

1. First we'll test the 24 pin motherboard power connector:

Connect the negative probe on the multimeter(black) to any ground wired pin and connect thepositive probe (red) to the first power line you want to test. The 24 pin mainpower connector has +3.3 VDC, +5 VDC, -5 VDC (optional), +12 VDC, and -12 VDClines across multiple pins.

You'll need toreference the ATX 24 pin 12VPower Supply Pinout for thelocations of these pins.

I recommend testing every pin on the 24 pinconnector that carries a voltage. This will confirm that each line is supplyingthe proper voltage and that each pin is properly terminated.

1. Document the number that the multimeter shows for each voltagetested and confirm that the reported voltage is within approved tolerance. Youcan reference Power SupplyVoltage Tolerances for a list ofproper ranges for each voltage. I have tabulated the voltage tolerances at theend of this document.

Are any voltagesoutside the approved tolerance? If yes, replacethe power supply. If all voltages are within tolerance, your power supply isnot defective.

Important: If your power supply passes your tests, I highlyrecommend you continue testing to confirm that it can operate properly under aload. If you're not interested in testing your PSU further, skip to Step 15.

1. Turn off the switch on the back of the power supply and unplugit from the wall.
  2. Reconnect all of your internal devices to power. Also, don'tforget to remove the short you created in Step 5 before plugging back in the 24pin motherboard power connector.

Note: The biggest mistake made at this point is forgetting toplug everything back in. Aside from the main power connector to themotherboard, don't forget to provide power to your hard drive(s), optical drive(s), and floppy drive. Some motherboardsrequire an additional 4, 6, or 8 pin power connector and some video cards need dedicated power too.

1. Plug in your power supply, flip the switch on the back if youhave one, and then turn on your computer as you normally do with the power switch on the front of the PC.

Note: Yes, you'll be running your computer with the case coverremoved which is perfectly safe as long as you're careful.

Note: It's not common, but if your PC does not turn on withthe cover removed, you may have to move the appropriate jumper on the motherboard to allow this. Yourcomputer or motherboard manual should explain how to do this.

1. Repeat Step 9 and Step 10, testing and documenting the voltagesfor other power connectors like the 4 pin peripheral power connector, the 15 pin SATA powerconnector, and the 4 pin floppy power connector.

Note: The pinouts necessary to test these power connectorswith a multimeter can be found in my ATXPower Supply Pinout Tables list.

Just as with the 24pin motherboard power connector, if any voltages fall too far outside thelisted voltage (see Power SupplyVoltage Tolerances) you should replace the power supply.

1. Once your testing is complete, turn off and unplug the PC andthen put the cover back on the case.

Assuming your power supply tested good oryou've replaced your power supply with a new one, you can now turn yourcomputer back on and/or continue troubleshooting the problem you are having.

Power Supply VoltageTolerances (ATX v2.2)

Voltage Rail

Tolerance

Minimum Voltage

Maximum Voltage

+3.3VDC

± 5%

+3.135 VDC

+3.465 VDC

+5VDC

± 5%

+4.750 VDC

+5.250 VDC