Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Installing BF3

Shark

• Member ID:  948
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  83
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  573
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/24/1976

So I decided to give BF3 a try today. I have Vista 32-bit and checked the back of the box, says it supports vista 32-bit but when I run the autorun I get an error that says Autorun.exe is not a valid Win32 file. Any idea what the hell this means, and did I just wast $70 on a game I cannot play even though the back of the box says I can?  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

• Member ID:  212
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  844
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Achievement Points:  5154
  • Birthday:  12/02/1987

Fix from tomshardware forums. 

This is actually a registry issue. In my experience it usually is associated with malware. Typically it is only a residual problem left over since this class of malware is normally easily detected and removed. 

I am not sure how qtcore4.dll factored into it but it seems to be an important system file. 

If you think it could be corruption 
Click here for Microsoft's solution. 
Also, run some hard drive diagnostics and checkdsk 

Malware is more likely... 

I couldn't find the article to link but Microsoft published a statement on technet that said after an infection is removed the system has still been permanently compromised. 

What this means: Assuming proper removal there is nothing actively malicious on your system, however, often malware creates system vulnerabilities. While active they can flag your IP to a remote server for future intrusion. 

Microsoft's solution? - System re-imaging. 

Bottom line: System files don't get corrupted without a reason, check your rig. 

• Member ID:  2759
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  199
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3496
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  26464
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/27/1990

what it's looking for is autorun.exe but maybe that isn't there, most discs have autorun.ini. If this is the case, which I have no idea cause I've never had that problem... open the ini file and read what .exe file it says on the inside. Then just run that file manually. Most likely that would be just something like Setup.exe or Install.exe. (it wouldn't hurt to just look for those from the start.) (if you don't see it just inside the disc directory, look inside the folders in the disc. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out which one it would be in.)

I have no idea if that will help you or not, it's just my 2 cents. ( it's what I would prolly do if that ever happened to me )

• Member ID:  133
  • Group:  ++++ Senior Admin
  • Followers:  77
  • Topic Count:  602
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6888
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Achievement Points:  44109
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  12/12/1971
  • Device:  Windows

Shark, enter the cd key into Origin and download the game digital. Worked for me and I have the disks.

• Member ID:  92
  • Followers:  42
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2241
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Achievement Points:  13358
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/09/1977

eidolon
what it's looking for is autorun.exe but maybe that isn't there, most discs have autorun.ini. If this is the case, which I have no idea cause I've never had that problem... open the ini file and read what .exe file it says on the inside. Then just run that file manually. Most likely that would be just something like Setup.exe or Install.exe. (it wouldn't hurt to just look for those from the start.) (if you don't see it just inside the disc directory, look inside the folders in the disc. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out which one it would be in.)

I have no idea if that will help you or not, it's just my 2 cents. ( it's what I would prolly do if that ever happened to me )

This is the easiest way.  Just put the DVD in your drive, and right click the drive and choose open.  You can now browse the contents of the disk.  Find install.exe, setup.exe or whatever the autorun is actually targeting.

Saves you having to play around with registry, which if you get wrong, could ruin you entire OS install.

• Member ID:  2028
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1740
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  10637
  • Birthday:  03/10/1963

Cavey
eidolon

This is the easiest way.  Just put the DVD in your drive, and right click the drive and choose open.  You can now browse the contents of the disk.  Find install.exe, setup.exe or whatever the autorun is actually targeting.

Saves you having to play around with registry, which if you get wrong, could ruin you entire OS install.

+1

• Member ID:  375
  • Group:  ++++ Senior Admin
  • Followers:  92
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  4065
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Achievement Points:  37160
  • Days Won:  45
  • Birthday:  06/01/1970

SkunK|NL
Cavey
eidolon

+1

+2

• Member ID:  948
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  83
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  573
  • Birthday:  03/24/1976

Thanks everyone for the help! I ran a registry clean and after that everything worked like a charm. Only problem now is someone's already registered Shark_XI LOL Can't win for loosing! See you in game soon!