Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Any Quickbooks Users Out There?

BurnnBright

• Member ID:  22339
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  167
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1715
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Achievement Points:  12965
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  03/20/1972
  • Device:  Windows

I'm looking for some advice. I use Quickbooks Online Edition to handle the finances for the company I work for. Every January, my beloved boss brings me bags and bags of crumpled up receipts from the previous year. Some of you have seen me deal with this via video chat and it isn't pretty. I want to scan the receipts and have the data imported into Quickbooks as a transaction. Yes, I've seen the NeatDesk scanner advertised on tv and I've researched it. If it didn't have such mixed reviews, I'd buy it. Does anyone know of another method I can use to get these receipts scanned imported as a transaction? I'm looking at the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 and it looks nice but I'm not sure how to import the receipts into QuickBooks.

Any help is appreciated.

• Member ID:  1194
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  40
  • Topic Count:  436
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  6692
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Achievement Points:  53094
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  04/15/1960

The quickbooks import has less to do with the hardware and more to do with where you are saving the scanned images to. As long as you are saving them to a file that quickbooks can import from it shouldn't be an issue. I used to scan receipts from my HP printer and import them to QB.

I agree that hardware is not really the issue. However, the scanner just makes it easier. I just need to figure out how to scan to whatever/wherever the files need to be so that they can be imported. In the past, I scanned some stuff and created an excel spreadsheet which can be imported into QB. The problem with that was QB treated it as just a journal entry and not a transaction. I want it to be a transaction. Otherwise, I will have to manually input the data from each receipt and create the transactions as I have done in the past. Right now, my boss is feeling guilty for doing this to me once AGAIN so he's willing to buy me a scanner/software. :D

• Member ID:  1194
  • Followers:  40
  • Topic Count:  436
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  6692
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Achievement Points:  53094
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  04/15/1960

I'm not sure what it's called, but I often thought that those little scanners they make for business cards would be perfect for doing receipts. The trick is finding something that can automatically load and quickly scan piles of odd shaped paper, like business cards and receipts. I often thought that somebody could make a fortune if the invented a scanner feeder that could take a stack of old photographs and automatically load them into a scanner one at a time. They probably have one already but I've never seen it.

The NeatDesk and the Fujitsu S1500 both do that.

• Member ID:  677
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  172
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1457
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Achievement Points:  9890
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  02/20/1986

i have a neat desk that i use... i have never had any problems with it... i read all the mixed review when it came out but most of them seemed to be more of a problems with users that probably shouldnt be using a computer.

• Member ID:  677
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  172
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1457
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Achievement Points:  9890
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  02/20/1986

ugh so close to 1000 posts @.@

• Member ID:  389
  • Followers:  45
  • Topic Count:  296
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4479
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Achievement Points:  36581
  • Days Won:  40
  • Birthday:  01/01/1970

another scanner software is paperport, i see they support PDF now!, back in the win95 they used word

ah its OCR software is what you need to scan to text they call it OmniPage pro now

paperport use to have it together

with the pro version you can have boss/company send reciets by smart phone

what i found on qb

Instructions

1 Enter transaction details into QuickBooks. This is necessary to ensure you have the transaction available to attach the receipt. After adding the transaction, a message box will appear from within QuickBooks asking if you want to add a document. Click the “Yes” button to advance to a window where you can configure scan settings.

Configure scan settings. This step may not be necessary if you use the same settings for all documents. Settings you can change and customize include document type, such as a receipt, color options, double- or single-side scan, and optional save locations such as a PDF file or a USB flash drive.

Scan the receipt using the scanner provided by the software manufacturer or your own scanner if software requirements allow. Scanning software will attach the scanned receipt to the transaction in your QuickBooks register and place an icon within the register, which you can click to view the scanned receipt.

Edited by KaptCrunch

• Member ID:  1103
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  64
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1977
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Achievement Points:  15642
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  01/01/2012

If you are scanning lots of items in bulk the Fujitsu's are the best.

• Member ID:  842
  • Followers:  62
  • Topic Count:  278
  • Content Count:  3712
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Achievement Points:  28451
  • Birthday:  05/04/1965

If I understand correctly its not the scanner so much as getting QB to import as a TRANSACTION not a journal entry.....

We just recently switched to the cloud version of QB on my accountants advice....I dont think cloud vs local is the issue either...I have to do some month end stuff in it today....gonna look around and see if I can help....a years worth of receipts to input really stinks...lol....

(PS. I have the neatdesk scanner...love it...absolutly...I am going to look at its export options too....)

• Member ID:  842
  • Followers:  62
  • Topic Count:  278
  • Content Count:  3712
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Achievement Points:  28451
  • Birthday:  05/04/1965

Did find this regarding the neatdesk scans....

I purchased the scanner to try it out before recommending it to clients (I don't like surprises). Overall, it's a good concept and a reasonable price.

Cons:

- scanning is slow. It takes about 2 minutes to scan an average sized receipt.

- integration with QB is marginal. While it does import transactions, it does them as Journal Entries. If you have purchases with multiple accounts on one receipt, it splits then into multiple transactions, making it difficult to reconcile your credit card statement.

- direct import into QB only allows you to select one debit account and one credit account per import.

- as far as I can tell, the data is stored in it's own database. This could be a pro or con.

Pros:

- it does store images of your receipts and allows you to search through the stored images. It would be great if you're trying to reduce the amount of paper you keep around.

- would work great for personal receipts and reducing the amount of filing required for personal expenses while still allowing you access to receipts if you need them.

- The software is pretty robust and allows you scan business cards and integrate with Outlook (haven't tried that) as well as scanning receipts and directly creating expense reports. That could be a big timesaver.

Conclusion:

While I was disappointed with the QuickBooks integration, I will use the scanner and software for personal expenses and will recommend it to clients who do a lot of expense reports. I forsee being able to rid my personal files of a lot of paper and going with the online images instead.

Next, I plan to look into PaperSave.com and see if it would be beneficial to any of my clients.

Edited by deerejon

• Member ID:  22349
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  766
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  4612
  • Days Won:  0

Good luck Burnn Bright. It sounds like you've got your hands full.