Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Netflix dvd/bd service

Sammy

• Member ID:  3036
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  31
  • Topic Count:  219
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  9419
  • Content Per Day:  2.06
  • Achievement Points:  62539
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  21
  • Birthday:  04/26/2008
  • Device:  Windows

Been a long time since I had the Netflix BD service. At the time it was the 2-at-a-time plan. If I kept up on it I could get two deliveries a week (four discs). But it got to the point where I was doing streaming much more than the bd's so I cancelled it.

So... tried it again. There are just too many things that I cant get otherwise. I currently have NF/prime/hulu/apple+/Crunchyroll. A lot of stuff available but a lot of stuff none of them have. Same 2-at-a-time plan. However so far no matter how much I try to keep up... including direct drop offs at my local PO... its almost always only one delivery a week. Same day shipment is rare. A higher price compared to then for 1/2 the service. Needless to say I am highly disappointed in them and will likely be dropping it again soon if that does not change. Instead I am considering putting the same money into HBO Max. It doesnt have the same catalog as the blurays but still has a lot to offer.

Just a shame that while streaming was touted as the great media content delivery method of the future its catalog is still pretty limited and less reliable compared to traditional media. Oh and the escape from advertisements wont be around forever and the writing is on the wall. Even if you pay for no-ads they are still there in an ever growing number of cases because the content owners demand it as a condition of streaming rights.

• Member ID:  42
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  50
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  8283
  • Content Per Day:  1.54
  • Achievement Points:  53743
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  01/30/1959
  • Device:  Android

• Member ID:  4476
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1466
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Achievement Points:  18186
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/31/1982

Check out the new members video setup by wild thing?

• Member ID:  59
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  137
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2115
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  15147
  • Days Won:  13

We dumped Spectrum TV and just kept internet.   We switched to YouTube TV and have been extremely happy with it.  Unlimited DVR was a plus for me.  So we have YouTube TV,  Netflix (stream), Prime (which I may drop), and HBO+.   I got Prime so I could watch "The Grand Tour", but thats about it.  HBO+ offers quite a bit of content and I really enjoy the DC Comic franchise series.  Oh I forgot we have Hulu too, just because they offered a year for $69.   Not sure if we will renew that one.  Have you looked at Redbox app for renting latest movies ?

I prefer not to pirate. A lot of time and money goes into creating it all and the people that made it should benefit from their work. 👍

Only shady things I have downloaded in recent memory are mame/emulator related and the occasional fan-subbed anime.  Also a couple old shows unavailable on the usual streaming services. However they were available on dvd/bd.

$15 a month (+tax) for 8-9 dvd's isnt a bad deal really. You just dont get nearly as much for your money compared to other options and its a letdown from what NF once was. Got HBO Max on a $12 a month discount deal anyways and it does have a lot to offer. I will probably start with GoT, which I never got past season 3 or 4 back in the day. That and Justice League redux of course but at 4+ hours I have to plan ahead for that one.

edit: Went through the nf queue that I threw together. Funny enough %60 of it was on HBO. Strictly speaking, maybe that means monthly BD rental services really are going the way of the dodo bird as many have predicted.

Edited by Sammy

"people that made it should benefit from their work" People who made it should make it avalible Same as the people who took it away from the artists instead they sit on it. Lifes short 🙂  Try finding the wild wild west on line.

• Member ID:  59
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  137
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2115
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  15147
  • Days Won:  13

Doom Patrol on HBO is pretty cool too.  Different.

8 hours ago, Labob said:

Try finding the wild wild west on line.

Its unfortunate that thieves seem to think they are entitled to steal. And when they get caught? Shame on those that caught them. How dare they interfere. I guess it depends on whether or not you created something.

15 a month forc9 DVD is a sweet deal. Just at the rate people consume TV it's very slow. And thieves well that's an odd street. From radio to albums to 8 tract,cds, mp3s, how many times have we paid for our favorite albums. It is illegal to copy any of that stuff. But I and like most people ripped there cds and have them on a hard drive.  No longer paying for the same music over and over. Video is the same now. So everything someone in my family buys a DVD I rip it add it to my server and we can watch it anytime anywhere. We bought it we should be able to watch it but nope what you bought was permission to watch it till the find a way to make you pay for it again. DVD to blu-ray to streaming. Now you can watch it anywhere anytime till they pull it. You finally dump what ever service you were paying for and go elsewhere and pay for stuff you all ready paid for. Now it gets goofy. So the artists who created this are not making what they were before all this transferring around.  So to get more cash they sell there rights to there creations. And apple Netflix Disney ectcect buys those rights create new streaming services and if you want to see your favorite show you have to pay again. 

Now I know all that is legal. But there comes a time you have to admit it's too much. I for one have bought the eagles greatest hits one to many times.  I do have to say they only created it once I've paid for it well over a dozen times. Can't find firefly online anywhere.  I did pay for it my DVD player is ģone so I can't play my DVD. So I ripped it and watch it when I want to. That's illegal.  Sometimes laws are not completely right. If you steal something you do not own and sell it that's a crime. As it should be. But if you own it and the people who sold you it says you only bought the right to watch it once by yourself in a dark room. And seeing its typed on the cover makes it legal. It does not make it right. And making the delivery system obsolete so you have to repurchase there stuff it double dipping. Yea its legal but greedy. It's a mess isn't it. 

And let's face it pirating has done the same from taping off the radio dubbing your friends tapes audio or visual to downloading fron torrent  sites. I forgot about add skipping now that is legal but if you pirate a TV show without adds that airs freely over the air that's illegal.  

One thing about the past if you're favorite show was on at 7 pm everybody had to be there to watch it an old fashion family night. That's kinda gone now 😕

• 3 weeks later...

Thus far, I would have to say HBOMax is a good streaming service. Going through the first season of Westworld and its a pretty good show. So might end up cancelling Netflix streaming because I hardly use it anymore and stick to their BD service (for those things I cant get from the other streaming services I have). All the various Netflix-only streaming stuff is available there as BD anyway if/when I want to watch it.

After seeing the first disc of Star Trek Discovery, and I cant say I have seen any truly bad Star Trek (other than the 5th movie), I do have to say I am unimpressed by the show. Seems to be trying to do a little too much too fast instead of letting things naturally develop. But I will give it a chance to see if it finds its footing. On the other hand, never saw the World At War documentaries and they are quite good.