Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

pcv ?

billyblade

• Member ID:  34
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  47
  • Topic Count:  182
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2097
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  14880
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/29/1966

been tinkering under the hood...discoverd some bullshit shroud on my exhaust manifold. Was almost like a large can with hose end clamped on and hose ran to arm off the airfilter cover. Served zero purpose( i think..if wrong then please advise.)

My question is this. My pcv valve on the valve cover( passenger side)  has places for two lines. The bottom one(the bigger of the two) is running a large tube into the base of the carb on the backside towards the dash. The second fitting on top has been cut ( the tube attached) and a screw run into the tube. Is this ok? I have seen this before but dont know the why. Also wondering if there is an advantage to putting a breather type air filter..you know, the one bout 6 inches across that sits all alone on top the carb.Kinda nice and shiny? Saw another 302 in a truck just like mine with it. Somebody just give me the word...thx folks.

BTW, that's a two barrel stock carb on an 82 ford 302. thx

• Member ID:  800
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  152
  • Topic Count:  136
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6955
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Achievement Points:  58329
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  05/29/1957
  • Device:  Windows

Sounds like someone has removed some polution device,and as long as you dont  have a vaccum leak you should be fine. And

as far as the air cleaner goes thats ok too if thats what you what.

• 4 months later...

• Member ID:  2366
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  76
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  665
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/27/1976
  • Device:  Windows

Positive Crankcase Ventilation.  I was tinkering with that a bit before.  If you bypass a charcoal canister...it usually filters oily gassy air from the crankcase and then would put it back in the system to be burned.  Could help mpg a tiny bit (not really) but mostly just burns gasses that are in the case, rather than releasing them.  It is believed to increase performance a tiny bit.  Not sure if it would actually do much tho.

• Member ID:  2119
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  80
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  461
  • Birthday:  09/11/1957

What you removed is called the heat riser and heat riser tube. If you live in a warm climate, it won't hurt to eliminate it. On the other hand, if you live in a cold climate it really helps on cold start up. It directs warm air from the exaust manifold into the carb, preventing ice-up of the throttle plates during warm up. There is usually a vacuum motor in the snorkle that the flexible tube connects to. This is controlled by a heat activated vacuum switch that lets cold air back into the air cleaner when the engine is warmed up. I used to run a custom air cleaner in warm weather on my carbed engines, and put the stock one back on in winter. The pcv valve sounds like someone may have put a universal one on, thus having two different vacuum hose sizes, no problem, as long as you have no leaks. Hope this helps. I f you remove the stock air cleaner housing, make sure you plug the vacuum line that goes from the carb to the bottom of the housing.

• 10 months later...

• Member ID:  2705
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  954
  • Birthday:  07/24/1961

The funny can like thing is your charcol canister its for filtering your backflow of fuel , and PVC positive crankcase

ventilation is just that it releases the crankcase pressure through blowby which also contains fumes which is then routed back

to the charcol canister , you can put any filter you want as long as you have a carburator , and if your state has emissions check

then I would suggest not removing any stock componients , check with Summit for any after market customization parts .