Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

ssd but still unstable.

Sammy

• Member ID:  3036
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  31
  • Topic Count:  219
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  9419
  • Content Per Day:  2.07
  • Achievement Points:  62539
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  21
  • Birthday:  04/26/2008
  • Device:  Windows

I installed a 256 ssd this week to replace a regular drive for my os and programs. The hdd was failing extended smart tests with too many bad sectors. Noticed the problem after some bsod's and did the usual repairs. The repairs found some bad clusters and I assume fixed them. Worked again but smart tests still failed. I assume the drive is simply failing and needs replacement. Sucks because its not even a year old, I think, and its supposed to be one of the better ones.

Some strange things happening after fresh install on the ssd. The boot is sometimes hanging during auto-detect of the drives. Requring a shutdown and restart. If I go afk for awhile I find that it has rebooted to the login screen. Maybe after sleep? I dunno, checking that. Windows repair of the os isnt finding a problem. Currently only the ssd is running to see if it unexpectedly reboots again.

Would a failing drive, even if its not set as a boot drive, cause these kinds of problems? If I still get problems with the ssd only then I dunno. This is the first one I bought so I dunno if there is supposed to be other things to do other than make the bios changes.

• Member ID:  2759
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  199
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3496
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  26464
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/27/1990

Oddly enough...  these kind of instability problems can almost always be fixed with a new power supply. They seem to be the first things to go and when they do the pc gets very unstable.

Power supply is relatively new and at 700w should be plenty. But who knows. Checked and I got the drive last May. So at worst hopefully WD should replace it considering its failing their smart tests. Unless they give me the runaround.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FJRS628

• Member ID:  2759
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  199
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3496
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  26464
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/27/1990

Power supply is relatively new and at 700w should be plenty. But who knows. Checked and I got the drive last May. So at worst hopefully WD should replace it considering its failing their smart tests. Unless they give me the runaround.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FJRS628

well, if it's new than it's pretty safe to assume it's not the problem.

True it would be unusual. Of course the software could have a bug. Tho why the software would have worked before but not now, who knows. I figure I will use the computer without that drive for a day or two and see what happens. Then plug it back in.

• Member ID:  2982
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  342
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2774
  • Days Won:  0

There are issues with windows security updates causing a range of problems, mainly system hang/crash to black screen ect. This seems to slow pc at start up to.

Hmmm.

Well just to check things out I plugged that drive back in. But left the other hdd off. Made sure the lifeguard software was the most up to date. Now its failing the short tests with problems about reading. On the drive info screen some of the 'warranty' entries are at 1. Most are 0. Dunno what that means. Also after several minutes it locked up again, rebooted, and hung on drive autodetect. The older 1TB wd drive passes the tests.

As much as I dont want to, to be on the safe side I am going to have to pick up another drive and copy over everything I can. They are pretty cheap nowadays so better safe than sorry. Because of the lockups I figure the safest thing to do is put the 2TB one in a USB drive and copy stuff. Then get the rma.

• Member ID:  489
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  51
  • Topic Count:  548
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  4673
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Achievement Points:  41100
  • Days Won:  14
  • Birthday:  01/09/1963
  • Device:  Kindle Fire

Hmmm, I would use a third party bootable, Slackware Puppy or Parted Magic, to scope out your drive. If it functions at all, Linux will let you know, and allow you to save data from it. A USB cradle that allows you to view your unstable drive from a temporary operating system is another option. I have a Maxtor 300g that crashed on me recently, and I couldn't view it as slave, or a USB. Makes me wonder what killed it, but nothing I have on any HD is a game killer. Set it aside and move on.

In the grand scheme of things there isnt much on there that isnt backed up elsewhere. More or less. But there is important stuff. For example all my mod files are backed up there. Fortunately they are on the other drive also. But the last backup of it was 2-3 weeks ago so I need to get that data out.

• Member ID:  21216
  • Followers:  20
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1695
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Achievement Points:  15803
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/09/1966

I installed a 256 ssd this week to replace a regular drive for my os and programs. The hdd was failing extended smart tests with too many bad sectors. Noticed the problem after some bsod's and did the usual repairs. The repairs found some bad clusters and I assume fixed them. Worked again but smart tests still failed. I assume the drive is simply failing and needs replacement. Sucks because its not even a year old, I think, and its supposed to be one of the better ones.

Some strange things happening after fresh install on the ssd. The boot is sometimes hanging during auto-detect of the drives. Requring a shutdown and restart. If I go afk for awhile I find that it has rebooted to the login screen. Maybe after sleep? I dunno, checking that. Windows repair of the os isnt finding a problem. Currently only the ssd is running to see if it unexpectedly reboots again.

Would a failing drive, even if its not set as a boot drive, cause these kinds of problems? If I still get problems with the ssd only then I dunno. This is the first one I bought so I dunno if there is supposed to be other things to do other than make the bios changes.

did you set your bios hard drive mode to AHCI?

Yes. After a couple hours of just the ssd and 1tb drive no problems.

edit: Well, I spoke too soon. After dinner I checked and saw it rebooted again, or tried to. Got stuck without being able to find winlogon or some other file. Also seems the bios and autodetect is not always seeing the ssd. So I dunno. I suppose tomorrow I will take it all apart, clean it all, and put things back together. Unless WU did actually screw something up I suppose.

Edited by Sammy

Could also be program or driver conflicts. ms security essentials and other malware programs might not play nice with each other. So took those out to see if the lockup/reboot problem stops. Could also be dust build up. There is a lot of it and it wouldnt surprise me if the gpu has a carpet of dust again.