Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Car Engine rebuilds, or how to keep that hard earned $$$!

Majrpane

• Member ID:  19225
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  29
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  349
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

I have heard recently a story that brought some concern to me about, "Engine Rebuilds" being recommended by the local garage you take your car to.

This is all fine and dandy,  but does that engine really  need a rebuild? The car is, smoking a bit, low on power, and a bit heavy on gas too. Those are the first signs  right?

Wrong!

First things first. There are a hellova lotta signs when the motor needs a full overhaul, but in these Fiscally hard times its just to easy sometimes for someone to, "Ply their Advice" to make you go ahead and, "Save your Baby!" no matter what, as an Newer Car is out of the Question right?

Here's the ticket on how to tell if your garage is working a Quick!

Was a Valve leak test advised first by your shop?

Did they do a "Compression Test" AFTER the Valve leak down test?

Was there any contamininates taken  in the "OIL SAMPLE" they sent away for analysis? (BIG Rigs Trucks have this done every Oil Change!)

....a competent shop will always reccomend a lots of pertinent tests first, "BEFORE",  reccommending an "Engine Rebuild!"

I took out the m,do it yourself stuff, as it is a bit complex  for the everyday person. Even the backyard mech, needs to know which valve is up or down to do a proper leak down test. Leave it to the Mech/techs ok.

But...test it before you spend that $$$$$

It   just may be a leaking valve thats wrong, and not the leaking pocketbook to do the whole thing.

From a retired trucker and certified autopartsman/warehouseman.

Edited by Majrpane

• Member ID:  220
  • Followers:  147
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  16950
  • Content Per Day:  3.17
  • Achievement Points:  129713
  • Days Won:  120
  • Birthday:  04/05/1970
  • Device:  Windows

I would love to have the tools and knowledge to rebuild my cars engines. Home mechanic but I know my limits. That is why you will never see me have this problem. 

https://www.xtremeidiots.com/topic/63320-thats-where-it-went-warning-surgery-gore/

There  may even be a "YouTube" on "Valve Leak Down Testing", but with my experience and education  I never needed it...

I will however GOOGLE this and see if I find something to, {LINK} here.

Thanks.

Edited by Majrpane

• Member ID:  50
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  180
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  2061
  • Birthday:  09/26/1979
  • Device:  Android

Most problems with smoking, low power and bad fuel mileage does lead to a problem with the cylinder head or heads.

It's possible that a piston ring has broken also but most lower end issues manifest them in knocks.

A cylinder leak down test is a great way to see what's going on.

Most problems with smoking, low power and bad fuel mileage does lead to a problem with the cylinder head or heads.

It's possible that a piston ring has broken also but most lower end issues manifest them in knocks.

A cylinder leak down test is a great way to see what's going on.

Totaly! Hit if perfectly on the spot!

But, if you know how to do this, ever check to see if the Valves are leaking "Externally?" Its for the Knowledgable only. Vavle in "UP" position, add WD40 then wait to see if if "Vanishes" . Doing this to each and every valve, will let you know if there is a Cheap prob that can be fixed easily too right?

I deleted this prevously, as a "Backyard Mech" can even screw this up too easy, ha ha!

Edited by Majrpane

• Member ID:  1387
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2540
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Achievement Points:  19552
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  06/05/1968

I would love to have the tools and knowledge to rebuild my cars engines. Home mechanic but I know my limits. That is why you will never see me have this problem. 

https://www.xtremeidiots.com/topic/63320-thats-where-it-went-warning-surgery-gore/

I have with my own two hands fully rebuilt a 1967 283 small block Chevy for my 1967 SS Nova.

The only thing I did not do was the Boring and Honing of the Block and Pressing the Wrist Pins onto the Connecting Rods (don't own the machinery to do that).

It Ran Perfectly and was a lot of fun!

I was 20 years old then.

Edited by Spartacus

I have with my own two hands fully rebuilt a 1966 283 small block Chevy for my 1966 SS Nova.

The only thing I did not do was the Boring and Honing of the Block and Pressing the Wrist Pins onto the Connecting Rods (don't own the machinery to do that).

I was 20 years old then.

I was lucky when I joined the Coast Guard I choose to be a Firemen rather a Seamen (Seamen is what runs down Firemen's leg) and after my first tour I got stationed on base and worked at the Motor Pool. I had a blast at that job. Got lots of experience and learned so much during that time. 

I was lucky when I joined the Coast Guard I choose to be a Firemen rather a Seamen (Seamen is what runs down Firemen's leg) and after my first tour I got stationed on base and worked at the Motor Pool. I had a blast at that job. Got lots of experience and learned so much during that time. 

Ahhhhhhhhhh the old days, No On-board Computer Codes, No Smog Pumps/EGR Valves and  No Black Boxes!!!!

"My 4 Speed, Dual Quad, Positraction 409!"

Geedee Up, Geedee Up, Geedee Up 409......

Edited by Spartacus

Ahhhhhhhhhh the old days, No On-board Computer Codes, No Smog Pumps/EGR Valves and  No Black Boxes!!!!

"My 4 Speed, Dual Quad, Positraction 409!"

Geedee Up, Geedee Up, Geedee Up 409......

That is a cool car!!!!!!!!!!!! I want a 409. Looks fast as shit just sitting there. 

No BS, there was a little old Lady living in a neighboring town I grew up in who owned an Unrestored SS427 Impala!

We used to beg her to sell. She was around 70 years old and used to tell us "The Car is NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!" lol followed by "You Damn Kids stop asking me!"...

It was Gold and needed TLC. It was HER Grocery Getter LMAO!!!!

Here is a road test of basically the same Car and Engine 427 390 Hp Stock allthough this Video is an ultra rare "1966 SS 427 Caprice"

The sound still gives me a Boner I must admit I miss my Old Cars...

That was cool. That guy was having fun. hahahaha

I have with my own two hands fully rebuilt a 1967 283 small block Chevy for my 1967 SS Nova.

I was 20 years old then.

Yeppers ...my  first rebuild was a Datsun shitcan. Did everything to it except the  Main Bearings, as would have had to split the engine  block in two to do that, It really was a P.O,S, that  I just rebuild to trade in ha ha ha.

• Member ID:  4888
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2020
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  26312
  • Birthday:  08/29/1962

This is a great post.

On the older engines doing a rebuild was fun and rewarding.

I've done a valve job on a 1950 Plymouth rebuilt my1965 mustangs 289 and countless head replacements.

You make a very good point @@Majrpane about doing a few basic tests on your engine before taking the plunge and buying a new or rebuilt.

Simple things like looking at the coolant for oil contamination a common indicator of a leaking head gasket. Doing a compression test tells a lot about the engine as well, if your test results show low compression and after squirting oil thru the spark plug hole and retesting the compression goes up you can expect worn rings . . .  on the other hand if there is no change in compresion you should start looking at bad valves (leaking). Listening to the sounds of an engine can also reveal potential problems, a noticeable "ticking" sound might be misdiagnosed as a knock. When you have an exhaust leak it generally makes a "ticking" sound a "hissing" sound most likely will be a vacuum leak. When a knock is heard that usually means a worn rod bearing  . . .

These are old school tests and they still work on todays engines.

I will admit that the invention of the OBD systems has helped in the repair of car engines considerably but at the expense of students learning how to diagnose engine troubles.

Todays engines last twice as long as the old engines for several reasons, newer alloys used in making the internal parts of an engine have helped make the engine lighter but probably the single most important innovation in making engines last is fuel injection. In a carburated engine fuel was wastefully metered and often times the excess gasoline would find its way into the oil diluting it and the result was excessive wear due to poor lubrication. Fuel injection is a much more precise way to meter the fuel and only provide the engine with enough fuel to run efficiently and withless emissions.

I will never stop loving a well built V8 and the low rumble it makes  . .  not to mention the head snapping thrust when you give it the onion (floor it)   :whistle:  :cool:      

This is a great post.

On the older engines doing a rebuild was fun and rewarding.

I've done a valve job on a 1950 Plymouth rebuilt my1965 mustangs 289 and countless head replacements.

You make a very good point @@Majrpane about doing a few basic tests on your engine before taking the plunge and buying a new or rebuilt.

Simple things like looking at the coolant for oil contamination a common indicator of a leaking head gasket. Doing a compression test tells a lot about the engine as well, if your test results show low compression and after squirting oil thru the spark plug hole and retesting the compression goes up you can expect worn rings . . .  on the other hand if there is no change in compresion you should start looking at bad valves (leaking). Listening to the sounds of an engine can also reveal potential problems, a noticeable "ticking" sound might be misdiagnosed as a knock. When you have an exhaust leak it generally makes a "ticking" sound a "hissing" sound most likely will be a vacuum leak. When a knock is heard that usually means a worn rod bearing  . . .

These are old school tests and they still work on todays engines.

I will admit that the invention of the OBD systems has helped in the repair of car engines considerably but at the expense of students learning how to diagnose engine troubles.

Todays engines last twice as long as the old engines for several reasons, newer alloys used in making the internal parts of an engine have helped make the engine lighter but probably the single most important innovation in making engines last is fuel injection. In a carburated engine fuel was wastefully metered and often times the excess gasoline would find its way into the oil diluting it and the result was excessive wear due to poor lubrication. Fuel injection is a much more precise way to meter the fuel and only provide the engine with enough fuel to run efficiently and withless emissions.

I will never stop loving a well built V8 and the low rumble it makes  . .  not to mention the head snapping thrust when you give it the onion (floor it)   :whistle:  :cool:      Have you ever watched one of the newer, younger Mech/Techs diagnose and engine and then say, "Its a bad Piston" while your standing there listening to a, "Psst,  pssst pssst pssst, "(buggered exhaust valve) because his, "Computer Diagnosed  this" I did, it realy is sad to see too.  I went over, stuck a "Rag" in the Exhaust, and well you know what happened next to his computer test right, ha ha ha...It became "buggered too" LOL

Well, I feel a bit better now knowing that there is still a few old school guys around to help out one another before they guy looking at major engine  work   spends their, "Children's Inheritance" on some repairs they really don't need?

Now the next thing to do is to get the "Word Out!" to these guys to talk to one of you guys before they do this, as that is what started me off on this Quest to start with!

Thanks Guys, I think we can close off this Thread now?

:happy:

• Member ID:  691
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  292
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  2273
  • Birthday:  02/27/1953

all so leadfinger , do not for get , roller cam  engines ,,,  better main barrings  :stuart:  :zorro: ,and electronc disturber :stuart:  :zorro:  its not just one thing  :stuart:  :zorro:  :lol: ,,1955 3100 truck first series, 1963 327,elbrock heads,intake, 350 auto,with camaro, sub frame,and rear end.

• Member ID:  4888
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  2020
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  26312
  • Birthday:  08/29/1962

all so leadfinger , do not for get , roller cam  engines ,,,  better main barrings  :stuart:  :zorro: ,and electronc disturber :stuart:  :zorro:  its not just one thing  :stuart:  :zorro:  :lol: ,,1955 3100 truck first series, 1963 327,elbrock heads,intake, 350 auto,with camaro, sub frame,and rear end.

I was very stoked when I bought my first roller cam/rockers for my 289. I only listed a few things but there have been many improvements over the years. The parts you listed were also very important to the number of miles that an engine could go . . thanks.

There are a number of "motorheads" that are members of XI with much more knowledge than me but one thing we all have in common is the amazing internal combustion engine.

• Member ID:  2702
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Content Count:  1057
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Achievement Points:  8385
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/26/1978
  • Device:  Android

My Jaguar XJ8 4.0 V8 has been leaking engine coolant at a steady rate since the alternator was replaced. I'm thinking the plastic outlet pipe will be cracked but I need some decent weather and money for replacement.

I do anything I can myself to save money and because I enjoy it. Even if you aren't a gear head, loads of problems are a basic fix and simple enough with reasonable instructions.