Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Ground Vs Air

• Member ID:  1238
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  6083
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Achievement Points:  50727
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  11
  • Device:  Kindle Fire

A general BF3 question, not specific to XI servers, but aimed at those who are experienced in the air and trying to down jets and choppers with the IGLA and Stinger.

I am aware that there is an ECM perk employed by those pilots who have unlocked it.

From the ground this appears to be puffs of smoke around the aircraft (or have I got that wrong?).

If an IGLA/Stinger is within range of an airborne jet, are there any other legitimate circumstances in which one would be unable to get a lock?

Secondly, are there any legitimate perks employed by pilots that would permit them to home in on a concealed enemy or, when this happens,

should one suspect some form of cheating?

I reiterate that these questions have resulted from experiences on a non-XI server on which no players who frequent our clan's were present

(as a player of low abilities, I am used to being "pwned" by Level 100 Colonels but a 15-69 kdr is pretty bad even for me!).

Thanks for any thoughts.

• Member ID:  1188
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  258
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1692
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  15036
  • Days Won:  3

A general BF3 question, not specific to XI servers, but aimed at those who are experienced in the air and trying to down jets and choppers with the IGLA and Stinger.

I am aware that there is an ECM perk employed by those pilots who have unlocked it.

From the ground this appears to be puffs of smoke around the aircraft (or have I got that wrong?)

Yuuup!

If an IGLA/Stinger is within range of an airborne jet, are there any other legitimate circumstances in which one would be unable to get a lock?

I  have found if you " Q " them you may get a lock sooner then later. If the plane/heli has stealth it will take an extra couple seconds to lock. (smaller lock - shoot  window) They could (but I doubt) have the vehicle equipped with  "proximity scan " just like the tanks. I dont know any  one that uses it except when they first get the perk. Most of us, have filed that perk.

Secondly, are there any legitimate perks employed by pilots that would permit them to home in on a concealed enemy or, when this happens,

Are you playing softcore?  anyone on the other team  " Q's " you the whole team will know your there...all the pilot does is turns around and badabing....there you are...nightly night 

I reiterate that these questions have resulted from experiences on a non-XI server on which no players who frequent our clan's were present

(as a player of low abilities, I am used to being "pwned" by Level 100 Colonels but a 15-69 kdr is pretty bad even for me!).

Wow what determination, I would have accidentally  kicked the plug of my pc  outa the wall before that game ended. lol

So the question remains is it your tactics or the pilots? I say  " employ the same tactics on same map at OUR server  and see what the outcome is "

Thanks for any thoughts.

Edited by Damit1

• Member ID:  2395
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  800
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Achievement Points:  5471
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/22/1994
  • Device:  Windows

Lately ive been getting owned by the iglas/stingers  my ecm's seem to have no effect on them no matter when i set them off

• Member ID:  4002
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  59
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  438
  • Birthday:  01/14/1983

Lately ive been getting owned by the iglas/stingers  my ecm's seem to have no effect on them no matter when i set them off

Same here. Not sure if I have been flying more or if the stingers are just getting more popular again.

• Member ID:  1238
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  6083
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Achievement Points:  50727
  • Days Won:  11
  • Device:  Kindle Fire

From the ground this appears to be puffs of smoke around the aircraft (or have I got that wrong?)

Yuuup!

I  have found if you " Q " them you may get a lock sooner then later. If the plane/heli has stealth it will take an extra couple seconds to lock. (smaller lock - shoot  window) They could (but I doubt) have the vehicle equipped with  "proximity scan " just like the tanks. I dont know any  one that uses it except when they first get the perk. Most of us, have filed that perk.

Are you playing softcore?  anyone on the other team  " Q's " you the whole team will know your there...all the pilot does is turns around and badabing....there you are...nightly night 

Wow what determination, I would have accidentally  kicked the plug of my pc  outa the wall before that game ended. lol

So the question remains is it your tactics or the pilots? I say  " employ the same tactics on same map at OUR server  and see what the outcome is "

Thanks for any thoughts.

Thanks for the offerings, Damit.  I guess you could be right about the spotting as it wasn't hardcore.

My team was actually winning comfortably as we were concentrating on capturing flags whilst the opposition were flying around overhead but lots of players bailed and the game swung around.  You know how it goes with "rape from the air"? ;)

I hung on in there as I was intent on ranking up before bedtime.  The trouble was that bedtime didn't happen till the game ended just after 0500 GMT! :lazy: 

• Member ID:  2923
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  1242
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Achievement Points:  8349
  • Birthday:  03/20/1976

I need to play more.

• Member ID:  111
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  425
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  2934
  • Birthday:  07/12/1971
  • Device:  Android

Not sure it works for stingers/Iglas but it most times work in helo/aircraft when shooting down other air's.

Aim with air to air missiles, get the lock, shoot, then quickly change weapons, as the beeping lock sound in the aircraft stops, however the missiles still flies to target.

• Member ID:  1188
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  1692
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  15036
  • Days Won:  3

If you spend anytime shooting the Igla, you will notice you can shoot just before you get the "lock and launch tone". So I'm betting that they half launched before you(in aircraft ) have heard the tone.  Use your ecm often even if you dont  think you need it passing over targets. Besides that it will make you dissapear from radar and if you were spoted before, you will not after.

If you spend anytime shooting the Igla, you will notice you can shoot just before you get the "lock and launch tone". So I'm betting that they half launched before you(in aircraft ) have heard the tone.  Use your ecm often even if you dont  think you need it passing over targets. Besides that it will make you dissapear from radar and if you were spoted before, you will not after.

i use it on the 1st beep and then dive down below radar incase its a heli or jet

• Member ID:  142
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  277
  • Content Count:  1986
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Achievement Points:  13866
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/01/1985

In order to lock jets, first you have to start locking to them when there are coming to your directions, if  he got ecm, he should it when he is being locked, So your first one will be missed and shoot the second one right after when he got nothing to defend against your rocket and when he is going away from you and still in the range of igla/stinger ( but you need to be quick in the 2nd one).

If he is noob pilot and he doesnt use ecm ahead of time means ( he already got locked and shot on him and then he uses his ecm ) You will get sometimes hit on him.. ( ECM sometimes works and sometimes doesn't work in this situations)

To use ECM, you need to use it 1st second when you are being locked.. do not wait till they launch their stinger or igla :)

In order to lock jets, first you have to start locking to them when there are coming to your directions, if  he got ecm, he should it when he is being locked, So your first one will be missed and shoot the second one right after when he got nothing to defend against your rocket and when he is going away from you and still in the range of igla/stinger ( but you need to be quick in the 2nd one).

If he is noob pilot and he doesnt use ecm ahead of time means ( he already got locked and shot on him and then he uses his ecm ) You will get sometimes hit on him.. ( ECM sometimes works and sometimes doesn't work in this situations)

To use ECM, you need to use it 1st second when you are being locked.. do not wait till they launch their stinger or igla :)

i do use my ecm the second i hear im being locked and they still hit me. ive even been locked onto while my ecm is going

• Member ID:  3655
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  198
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  1538
  • Birthday:  09/16/1991

i really hate using stingers iglas. i use them only when im desperate. it really is no skill weapon. in badcompany 2 we used to have something like tow missile. it actually took quite amount of skill to use it effectively. AND they buffed up the igla stingers according to the size of AK maps. which i think it is reasonable. but it gets really frusrating on maps like sharque peninsula when enemies can lock on to you pretty much regardless of where you are. even when you are already outside of the map in the chopper the y will lock on to you. and there is no escaping from it. and on gulf oman people camp on that construction tower lock on to russian aircrafts as soon as they spawn. really annoying

• Member ID:  4074
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  299
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2072
  • Birthday:  07/27/1986

Same here. Not sure if I have been flying more or if the stingers are just getting more popular again.

I have found that when using IR flares, smoking and then evasive maneuvers gets me out of trouble. With ECM, if I smoke and then run, the jav may make it past the ECM. But if I smoke, and sit still where the countermeasures are deployed, I stand a very good chance of staying alive.

i really hate using stingers iglas. i use them only when im desperate. it really is no skill weapon. in badcompany 2 we used to have something like tow missile. it actually took quite amount of skill to use it effectively. AND they buffed up the igla stingers according to the size of AK maps. which i think it is reasonable. but it gets really frusrating on maps like sharque peninsula when enemies can lock on to you pretty much regardless of where you are. even when you are already outside of the map in the chopper the y will lock on to you. and there is no escaping from it. and on gulf oman people camp on that construction tower lock on to russian aircrafts as soon as they spawn. really annoying

What bugged me is even if you managed to nail a huey with the TOW, the damn thing scraped by with 5% health. If there was a capable engy on board, the chopper basically ran the map, TOW or no. Edited by flashadvocate