Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

If you had the opportunity

BigPapaDean

• Member ID:  1128
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  78
  • Topic Count:  1201
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  6533
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Achievement Points:  63493
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  10/21/1954
  • Device:  Windows

I had the opportunity to watch something tonight that made me feel all warm inside. I was waiting at the bus station waiting on my transfer bus to bring me the last leg home form college. As I was sitting there, a woman came by and asked each one of us if we had a dollar she could use to get home with. Everyone said nothey didn't have even one dollar. Well so did this guy sitting there who looked like he was down on his luck also. When she first asked him if he had a dollar he said no. Then as an after thought he looked in his wallet and I heard him say he didn't remember he had it. He also said to himself just ever so audibly that it was his last dollar in his bankroll and everywhere. He chased her down and made sure she had her ride home. When he came back he had a very contented smile and I felt really warm inside.

My question is this, if you had the same opportunity and it happened to you and you had one one dollar bill, would you or would you not give it to her> I answer that I hope I would but I also know there would be times I wouldn't!

• Member ID:  1
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1909
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Achievement Points:  11489
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/28/1975

I'd like to think that I would, we have a scheme in the UK where homeless people can sell a free magazine called The Big Issue to get some money, I make a point of purchasing these whenever a seller aproaches me, don't get me wrong, i'm certainly not wealthy or really in a position to support anyone other than myself and my family but I can't help but think that jist maybe, the few pounds that I pay for a simple bit of paper can make a huge difference to someone elses life that really needs it more than I do.

• Member ID:  607
  • Followers:  75
  • Topic Count:  244
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3344
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Achievement Points:  33826
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  09/16/1966

I used to buy the big issue every week untill I discovered that one of my neighbours sells it and is not homeless.

What annoyed me was his girlfriend with 2 children claim all the benifits get free housing ect ect.. Tells the social security she is a single mother while he everyday goes out and sells the big issue in our town centre everyday claiming to be homeless... So I do not anymore ..

But I have brought a real homeless person breakfast a couple of times that way I know he is getting what he needs rather than drink or drugs. I do that when ever I am in the town working, and i have  got to really know the guy and I do feel so sorry for the real people who need our help. But as a country we neglet our own to send aid abroad to people who dont help them selves.

• Member ID:  77
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Followers:  111
  • Topic Count:  1018
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7527
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Achievement Points:  69486
  • Days Won:  47

I've helped a poor person before ,But sometimes I wonder if they are just scammers pretending to be poor and some are just winos but in any case it does make you feel good inside and too bad for the fellow if he is a fake I know I did a good deed.

• Member ID:  179
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1054
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Achievement Points:  6817
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/07/1981
  • Device:  iPhone

i usually just give my extra lunch to some guy on the freeway.... either im helping or they are getting screwed outta the mighty dollar!!!!

Awards

• Member ID:  20166
  • Followers:  40
  • Topic Count:  611
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  7654
  • Content Per Day:  1.97
  • Achievement Points:  53674
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  10/16/1946

Hey Dean, that warm feeling you had was probably you filling your Depends.

Would I have given her my last dollar? In that situation, absolutely, if I already had my way home paid for. My motto in life is, "Be of use." And I try hard to follow that.

On the other hand, I do not give money to street beggars. If you're capable of walking, and your arms work, get a freakin' job. Panhandling is not work. I also do not give money to, for instance, the Veterans of Foreign Wars selling poppies at the front door of Wal Mart - I'm a past VFW post commander and state adjutant - or to high school fundraising groups with a jar asking for money for the band trip, etc. If these groups want money, they should either sell a product or provide a service - they should WORK for it, and not ask for handouts. The only exception I make is to the Salvation Army at Christmas - I work with the SA and I know every penny goes directly to the needy.

Every year, some friends and I buy a needy family's Christmas - everything from food to clothes to toys for the kids. The family must have fallen on hard times through no fault of their own - layoff, illness, etc. - and our other rule is that they must be trying to help themselves. If they are, we'll help them.

If you can't be of use to others, what's the point in being here?

• Member ID:  252
  • Group:  +++ COD2 Head Admin
  • Followers:  71
  • Topic Count:  392
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  6420
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Achievement Points:  54364
  • Days Won:  30
  • Birthday:  03/22/1965

ok peeps yes i would do the same but here is a neat one for u that i do sometimes just to brighten someones day .....when i hit the toll plaza on the freeway i will pay the toll for the car behind me which is only a buck or some change but its call passing it forward but only backwards lol any way u never know who is behind u nd where they may pass it forward them selves it makes u feel great nd i hope them as well.....peace love nd happiness f@$k wealth lmao

• Member ID:  112
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1132
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Achievement Points:  6975
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/09/1960

Not trying get you going Harry but i am not a fan of Salvation Army I also did work for them (oh by the way they never paid me) They dont give the clothes you bring to them away if they are used they go right to the rag machine (which is the machine they called me to work on) they get cut up into rags which are sold to companies. The people they have working in these places are working for free my city gave them a building 100,000 sq ft in which they house drug addicts. Personaly i dont see the good they do maybe in other citys they do.

Non Profit my ass