Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Need some help for our USA trip this summer

Zoe

• Member ID:  1147
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  721
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Achievement Points:  4195
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/15/1980

heya

we are planning a trip to the usa and i need some help in finding some good and not to expensive motels / hotels.

here is a pic of the route we planned:

Trip 2011.jpg

los angeles - las vegas - grand canyon - monument valley - glen canyon - bryce canyon - zion national park - las vegas - death valley - yosemite nationalpark - monterey - los angeles

after that we will stay 4 or 5 more days in new york.

we need some help in finding hotels or motels on our route near or between the monument valley and the glen canyon, between death valley and yosemite national park and in monterey.

i hope you have some good ideas, infos and advice for us.

thanks

zoe

• Member ID:  1818
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  61
  • Topic Count:  140
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1041
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Achievement Points:  14304
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/12/1975
  • Device:  Windows

hotel/motel 8 has been quite good for us when we were visting here in colorado when we were in the process of hunting for a house and getting some ideas for it as well.

And be careful with L.A. high crime rate and VERY rude city.... rated #1 for all.

• Member ID:  151
  • Group:  ++ COD2 Admin
  • Followers:  62
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Content Count:  9146
  • Content Per Day:  1.70
  • Achievement Points:  94222
  • Days Won:  316
  • Birthday:  05/17/1959
  • Device:  Kindle Fire

Sounds like an awesome trip Zoe! We had a similar trip a few years back also (I'm from Michigan). Went from Grand Junction Colorado through Las Vegas then to the LA area and back to Colorado. Visited Vegas and Hoover Dam and stayed with relatives in Grand Junction and in LA area of California. Looks like you are going through Death Valley, so hope you like it HOT!! Get's up to 40-50 degrees Celsius!! And like Lil says, be careful in LA as it can be dangerous if you don't know where you are going (and New York).  As far as hotels, try to stay with hotels, not motels if you like cleaner and more perks like "continental" breakfast included in cost. Best Western, Hampton Inn, and Comfort Inn are average price whereas Marriott, Hyatt and Hiltons will be more.  Hope you have a great and memorable trip!

• Member ID:  23
  • Group:  ++ COD2 Admin
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1833
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Achievement Points:  16093
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  08/06/1960

Hello Zoe, some ideas for places to stay, The Beverly Garland Hotel in Universal City Ca is close to Universal studios and Citiwalk and is in a nice area for lots of things and located in the middle of So Cal. The Super 8 motel in Monterey is nice too and not overly priced. The Best Western Zion Park looks really nice and wow what a view,or the Majestic View Lodge both in Springdale Ut are in an amazing location Also a night in Vegas is also an option and tons of nice places there and from the looks of your map you have about 6 to 8 hours of driving between places your going to stay. enjoy and post lots of pics ok.

www.majesticviewlodge.com

www.utah.com/lodging/lakepowell.htm

www.beverlygarland.com

www.monterysuper8.com

• Member ID:  406
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  217
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  2127
  • Birthday:  02/21/1967

Zoe... I live in Las Vegas... may i suggest the AAA  automobile club of southern californa has a travel guide and very well known across the country. They have ratings for hotels and to be a AAA endorsed hotel they have to meet certain criteria... and a place to get really good travel info...from anything you need to know.. but if you have any questions I would be glad to help out as much as i can..

http://www.calif.aaa.com/en-ca/Pages/Home.aspx

but they specialize on traveling the united states

• Member ID:  1606
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  87
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  691
  • Birthday:  03/24/1970

Hi Zoe:

Sounds like a good trip.  There is a lot of driving so I hope you like spending a lot of time in the car.   Keep in mind that between points for most of your trip, there is not a lot to see and do.  But it does look like a good mix of nature related activities with the glitz of LA, Vegas and NY thrown in.   Also, I'm not sure when you are going but as pointed out before, this trip could be brutal if you do it in the middle of Summer.

Outside of the LA and Vegas, there are a lot of decent and inexpensive hotels and on your planned route they will be more decent than a lot of other places in the US.  You could try Motel 6, Hampton Inn, Redroof Inn, Best Western, Holiday Inns, Marriott and Hiltons. 

In LA, Phuckitman is right about the Beverly Garland.  It is in the Valley which is north of LA but near Universal studios which has a theme park and Citiwalk which has restaurants, clubs and stores.  It is pretty touristy though.  The Beverly Garland was a Holiday Inn and they have a shuttle to Universal that I believe leaves every 30 mins.  Universal also has a subway that will take you to Hollywood and Highland which is the middle of the tourist part of Hollywood.  It has the Kodak Theatre where the Academy Awards are held and Graumans Chinese Theatre where a lot of premieres are held (I'm going to one there for The Rite next Wednesday).  There are a lot of street performers - well not so much performers but characters.  The Hollywood Roosevelt hotel is also there which is pricey but a good place to get a drink. There is a California Pizza Kitchen restuarant there that is reasonable and you can see the Hollywood sign from the front door.  You would also want to walk on the beach boardwalk at Venice and look at all the crazy folks there and go over to Santa Monica and the Third Street Promenade and maybe Malibu and have drinks at a beach restaurant. And if you want to do a film studio tour, I can get you free tickets - just PM me.  Also, some people like to go to Disneyland (like my kids) which is about an hour south of LA. 

It's not as unsafe and as rude (ok maybe it is as rude) as people are telling you.  But you should stay in the touristy areas and you will be fine.  The West side and South Valley is generally safe.  I'm in Westwood and have never had a problem.

As for Vegas, you will get the most bang for your buck for the hotel and food.  Of course there are high end hotels and restaurants that are expensive but the middle of the road hotels and buffets are really a good deal, particluarly compared to Europe.  And they are reasonable so long as you don't spend all your money on gambling or as they call it, gaming.  If you stay any night other than Friday and Saturday, you can get some great room prices.

The drive down from Monterey on the Pacific Coast Highway is really a beautiful drive.  You can stop in Carmel where Clint Eastwood was mayor, do the 17 mile drive at Pebble Beach and as you drive down, see Big Sur, Solvang a Danish village in the Southern wine region and Santa Barbara another beach community with wineries.

Hope you have a great trip.

Cotton

hey guys :)

thanks for the answers.

we made a similar trip in 2009 with a rv where we concentrated on the bigger cities like los angeles and san francisco, visited las vegas, hoover dam, the grand canyon skywalk and drove through the death valley and the yosemite national park. we planned that with AAA (in germany we call it ADAC) and we still have tourbooks and such stuff. but i wanted to ask for some of your experiences Smile

we will use los angeles only for starting and ending the trip through the west. we will only sleep there and that's it.

death valley is hot, but it's ok as long as you don't wear much and have enough to drink Wink. we only drove through the death valley 2 years ago, like we only drove through parts of the yosemite (there was a fire and the 120 tioga pass was closed so we had to use another pass) and that is the reason we want to see some more of it.

this year we will concentrate on the national parks.

cause we drove with a rv in 2009 we know a lot of great campgrounds in that area, but this year we want to travel by car cause it's much easier, cheaper and you are more flexible than with a rv and therefor are looking for some good spots to rest and sleep.

i will check the motel 8 in monterey. it's always good when people know good places and i don't have to read all the ratings in the internet.

we will be in las vegas twice. first time when we come from la to sleep there before we drive to the south rim and second time after visiting bryce canyon and zion national park. we will stay there 2 nights before we enter the death valley Wink.

i guess we have to drink a beer chief Laughing

anybody else with some input about hotels / motels near the monument valley or between death valley and yosemite national park?

thanks

zoe

ps: here some pics of our trip in 2009

grand canyon skywalk

IMG_0567.JPG

highway 1 (san francisco - los angeles)

IMG_1372.JPG

morro bay (between san francisco and los angeles)

IMG_1441.JPG

IMG_1549.JPG

death valley and our rv

Las Vegas - Death Valley 095.jpg

edit: trip will be end of august / beginning of september same as in 2009.

• Member ID:  240
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  168
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  958
  • Birthday:  11/17/1962

nyc is not bad at all. i live just outside of the city-about 20 minutes, trust me crime is way down in the city

gwalms
nyc is not bad at all. i live just outside of the city-about 20 minutes, trust me crime is way down in the city

not bad? it is awesome! Wink

i have never been there and it will be my first time in new york and i am totally thrilled when i only think about the trip.

i don't really worry about "crime". we had no probs in los angeles in 2009.

we will be the typical tourists and got to the main sightseeing spots and i don't think that we have to worry about anything.

• Member ID:  1100
  • Followers:  164
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  1038
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Achievement Points:  9273
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/30/1980
  • Device:  Android

If your on the east coast, then you and goofball need to go to the Poconos Resort in PA.  

http://www.800poconos.com/

And then come meet a few of us.   Rick, Crash, Me, Thumper, Alex, Chris, Pinglo, and..... ah fuck I forget who else is here with us.  but yeah,  we all need to get together and see one another.  :D

FunStick

If your on the east coast, then you and goofball need to go to the Poconos Resort in PA.  

http://www.800poconos.com/

And then come meet a few of us.   Rick, Crash, Me, Thumper, Alex, Chris, Pinglo, and..... ah fuck I forget who else is here with us.  but yeah,  we all need to get together and see one another.  :D

we will visit new york for 4 or 5 days and already found a nice spot to stay there.

no pocono mountain for us Wink

like i said, the trip is planned, the route stands, all we need or are looking for is a place to rest

- near the monument valley and glen canyon

- between the death valley and yosemite national park

- in monterey

for all the other places we already found hotels to stay.

we definitely have to meet in new york when we are there Smile

• Member ID:  503
  • Followers:  181
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  2461
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Achievement Points:  15555

Sounds like a wonderful trip Zoe.   Except for Vegas I probably wouldn't book any motels, just drive til you see a place that looks good and stay wherever you land.

• Member ID:  112
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1132
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Achievement Points:  6975
  • Birthday:  10/09/1960

when in vegas take the helicopter ride into the grand canyon you land inside the canyon that is half way down inside the canyon they have picnic tables there and serve you a meal we did breakfast the canyon first light was awesome and the silence was quite eerie i have been to Vegas about 15 times and that is by far the best thing we ever did.

www.Hotels.com

bump Smile

• Member ID:  715
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  418
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2178
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Achievement Points:  16606
  • Birthday:  11/04/1943

If at all possible do take the Glen Canyon raft trip. A wonderful experience, not white water but exceptionally scenic.

http://raftthecanyon.clickforward.com/?adid-2E343B92-B097-442c-BFA5-BE371E0325A2=388067&kw-2E343B92-B097-442c-BFA5-BE371E0325A2=glen+canyon+rafting

Tball

when in vegas take the helicopter ride into the grand canyon you land inside the canyon that is half way down inside the canyon they have picnic tables there and serve you a meal we did breakfast the canyon first light was awesome and the silence was quite eerie i have been to Vegas about 15 times and that is by far the best thing we ever did.

www.Hotels.com

we will stay in the grand canyon for 2 nights.

i always wanted to see the sunrise and the sunset in the canyon and we will definitely make a helicopter ride through the canyon.

we saw that as we visited the skywalk in 2009 but we had not enough time to make a heli ride.

Shamu

If at all possible do take the Glen Canyon raft trip. A wonderful experience, not white water but exceptionally scenic.

http://raftthecanyon.clickforward.com/?adid-2E343B92-B097-442c-BFA5-BE371E0325A2=388067&kw-2E343B92-B097-442c-BFA5-BE371E0325A2=glen+canyon+rafting

as we looked for nice places to stay near the monument valley, we decided to go to page after we visited the grand canyon and stay in page for 2 nights before we go to visit the bryce canyon.

from there we will visit the monument valley, the antelope canyon, the rainbow bridge and the glen canyon.

so i guess the raft trip is exactly what we need to do.

thanks shamu! Smile

• Member ID:  1510
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  613
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  5333
  • Birthday:  06/03/1987

I live in Monterey and if you stay in the town 2 Miles north of monterey called Marina, CA. There are cheap hotels. There is a Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn, and a Motel 6. Let me know if you want phone numbers to these places :) Morro Bay is down Highway 1 and is a lot different from Monterey. Monterey has more to do, Morro Bay is a nice place to stop and stretch your legs if you're planning the beautiful drive down the 1.

• Member ID:  1320
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  611
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  4498
  • Birthday:  01/14/1976

Hotels!!! Screw that, stay with a clan member here and there.  They may even feed you!

Sex_Panther
I live in Monterey and if you stay in the town 2 Miles north of monterey called Marina, CA. There are cheap hotels. There is a Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn, and a Motel 6. Let me know if you want phone numbers to these places :) Morro Bay is down Highway 1 and is a lot different from Monterey. Monterey has more to do, Morro Bay is a nice place to stop and stretch your legs if you're planning the beautiful drive down the 1.

thanks sex, i will check the motels in marina. i'll hit you up if i'm not able to find them in the internt.

we have been in morro bay in 2009 and i loved it. highway 1 is a blast! Smile

we have all infos we need and found good places to rest and stay.

thanks for your help guys! Kiss

• Member ID:  934
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  832
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Achievement Points:  5656
  • Birthday:  08/16/1960