Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Help please, need a comp tech

Bushape

• Member ID:  839
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1334
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  7776
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/17/1958

Hey guys,

I bought a new computer March 28th. On the 29th I got a trojan virus. I went online before all of the security was up, pretty stupid.

A program came up and said my computer was infected and I needed their product to get rid of the virus. The program was "Win 7 Antispyware" and then I purchased the product because I had no control of my computer. After I purchased the program my computer became totally infected. I called Microsoft and they couldn't help. Just by chance I had made a restore point before I had done anything when the computer was brand new. So I just restored it to the original condition and everything was fine.

My problem now is that I disputed the payment with Paypal. And here is what they say I need:

However, if you did receive a virus when you downloaded the anti-virus, we
will need the following:

- A second opinion (in writing) from a qualified expert stating that the
software that you received doesn’t match the original description.  Ask the
expert to explain what’s wrong with the software that you received. The
written opinion should be on the expert’s letterhead, include the date,
state the expert’s years of experience in their field, and be signed by the
expert.

Also, please ask the expert to provide copies of their credentials (for
example, a copy of their license in the field).

- If the qualified expert agrees that the software you received doesn’t
match the original description, delete the software from your computer and
tell us that it was removed.

I need this by Monday. Can anyone of you that meets their criteria please help me. Just send it to [email protected].

I am on a fixed income and I am disabled. It really sucks having these bastards take advantage of people. I already sent in some shit to Paypal and they come back wanting more stuff. I told them to just google it and they would know. They wanted me to get a hold of the company, it is like yea right.

Thanks, I really hope someone can help.

I would really appreciate it.

Bushape>XI< Adm

• Member ID:  42
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  50
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  8265
  • Content Per Day:  1.54
  • Achievement Points:  53619
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  01/30/1959
  • Device:  Windows

Damm this is wrong. First I promise you Paypal knows this issue very well. Second they know what you paid for is wrong. Paypal has gone over to the retail side of busness and forgoten who made them what they are. Same issue over at ebay they protect the person ripping you off. I trully wish I could help you but sending them used toilet paper from tacobell as my credentials would not work. You should try thought also write the better buseness bureau so others will know. I hope you win.

Now for your bitch slapping ther are several post about that piece of malwear on this site with lots of good advice. Never click on links you don't know about always wear a condom surfing the net trust nobody at all. Educate your self on the matter. Its no more then a 20 minute read on how to surf safe yet its a weekend job to fix it. All I can do is preach the shit and wack my head on the keyboard when I see somebody get stung. Its all up to yourselves to learn this and pratice it. Good luck and look down once in a while Chile or Duke might be pulling you.

• Member ID:  1238
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  6083
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Achievement Points:  50727
  • Days Won:  11
  • Device:  Kindle Fire

Bush',

I am truly sorry to read that you have been conned in this manner.

Whilst I don't meet the "computer professional" requirement for what PayPal are demanding of you, I do wonder if there is an alternative way of handling this.

If this is a recognised "sting", it is likely to be classed as fraud or deception in criminal law (whilst I know nothing of US federal or WA State law, they are based on English Common law in which I have some experience, shall we say!).  It may be helpful to contact your local law enforcement.  It appears you may be a victim of crime and crimes can be investigated, of course.  The other apsect is that PayPal will respond differently if approached by a police officer who verifies what is being claimed.  One has to ask why PayPal are providing payment facilities to an enterprise that seems to extort money from its victims...  They decided a long time ago to cease servicing the "adult" industry and that was only tits and bums so someone there has some sense of morals!

The down side is that, if a law enforcement entity took up your complaint, they'd want to look at the affected computer forensically, perhaps depriving you of it for some time to do this.

I know this is not the easy way.  Labob has spoken wisely and yes, the bottom line is to trust nothing online and keep ones machine behind a good firewall and with AV cover all the time.

I am usually pretty cautious about everything. But this one time, I went on line without my security (condom) and I got bit. Thanks for the input. It has happened before but that was a long time ago and security wasn't as good as it is today.

Paypal sucks donkey balls. I may just go to a local tech and ask them for advice. Or get the letter. It is only $60, but it is the fact that I got burnt, that is what gets me. Paypal should have known, it was an overseas account. The account that got paid was:

ULTIMDEFENDER.COM, BAKU, AJ.  Whereever the hell that is. That should be a dead give away right there. And you can't dispute anything until the payment is completed. Which is bullshit.

At least the computer is fine and I guess we all learn from our mistakes. I shouldn't of panicked and thought it out before I bought the program, but I didn't know it was a bogus program. I thought it was similar to one of those registery cleaners that have ads on the side once in awhile.

• Member ID:  4
  • Group:  ++++ Senior Admin
  • Followers:  171
  • Topic Count:  1094
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  5157
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Achievement Points:  43597
  • Days Won:  14
  • Birthday:  08/16/1967

Sorry to hear all this happened to you Bushape and I hope you get this all sorted,take care mate.

Rockape.

• Member ID:  177
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  145
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1669
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Achievement Points:  10581
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/08/1961
  • Device:  iPhone

Bushape

Are you sure your computer is ok. I would venture to say that if this "antivirus" virus follows the Windows XP viruses and such there most likely will be some dormant crap on your computer buried real deep. My now ex-wife got the same crap on her laptop a couple of years ago and in the end the only way to 100% resolve it was to reformat the HD and reload the XP from scratch.

BTW, Baku, AJ means Baku, Azerbaijan which should tell you how much luck you might have getting your money back. They 90% of these scam viruses come from Russia or old Russian republics.

As to PayPal, I used to use them and was lucky to have no issues, but I stopped using it when on of my friends got butt-raped really bad by them. They locked out his account with close to 3k in it and by the time he got the account unlocked (6 months) most of the money was gone in "charge-backs". PayPal was started as a way to safely buy stuff on the internet without revealing your credit card or bank information to a complete stranger, but they have turned their back on the sellers and seem to favor the merchants and receivers.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. I don't even think the "expert" testimony will help you, but perhaps you should give it a try.

Good luck

• Member ID:  1924
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1012
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Achievement Points:  5864
  • Birthday:  05/30/1973

Sorry to hear that Bushape. I never owned a PayPal account and I've being often called "weird" because I was kinda "scared" to use that service...seems like more and more people are getting screwed by them...too bad...It's hard to let your guard down and use any form of electronic payments on the net...

You can try to download Hijack this, and all kinds of spybot SD, malwarebytes and all to sanitize your PC...when you do it, disconnect your rig from the net...

• Member ID:  1959
  • Followers:  114
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  272
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  2569
  • Birthday:  05/30/1946

Do Not run "HiJackThis" unless you know what you are doing. Deleteing the wrong thing can really mess up your computer.

Safe bets are:

http://www.superantispyware.com/

http://shop.malwarebytes.org/lpa/342/3/7268/index_b.html?_kk=malwarebytes&_kt=a242b45a-7b38-4f7d-b28e-ea3e0e10b55f&gclid=CKW_wrirkqgCFQo0QgodshU2Cg

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security_essentials/default.aspx

I run all three and microsoft security essentials is my anti-virus suite.  If all else fails try running Trend Micro's House Call

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Good Luck!

• Member ID:  2048
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  6689
  • Content Per Day:  1.37
  • Achievement Points:  48999
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  05/30/1967

MadMonk64

Do Not run "HiJackThis" unless you know what you are doing. Deleteing the wrong thing can really mess up your computer.

Safe bets are:

http://www.superantispyware.com/

http://shop.malwarebytes.org/lpa/342/3/7268/index_b.html?_kk=malwarebytes&_kt=a242b45a-7b38-4f7d-b28e-ea3e0e10b55f&gclid=CKW_wrirkqgCFQo0QgodshU2Cg

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security_essentials/default.aspx

I run all three and microsoft security essentials is my anti-virus suite.  If all else fails try running Trend Micro's House Call

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Good Luck!

i agree..

kids...

• Member ID:  1924
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1012
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Achievement Points:  5864
  • Birthday:  05/30/1973

I agree that Hijackthis is not for everybody...but we have to assume that the "customer" does it's fair share of reading to resolve said issue...

Thanks to all of you. I probably won'y get the money back, but I will try. I haven't had any other trouble with Paypal.

I was wondering if I got rid of that damn thing. Nothing seems to be having any problems now. That would be a bitch to have reformat the hard drive. I do have Microsoft Recovery Discs for this machine. Hopefully it works out.

I will check into some of the programs.

Thanks again

• Member ID:  2294
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  38
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  260
  • Birthday:  03/31/1974

What you got hit with is whats commonly called a Rogue security software virus or better referred to as "Scare Ware." If I were you I would contact Pay Pal via phone or your Credit card company, screw email, and explain to them what has happened and that you are a victim of a fraudulent  transaction. Stand strong and reiterate to them that you know you have been taken advantage of and you demand their help to resolve this issue. Asking you to prove this is ridiculas, you have the transaction to prove this - why you need a techs "advice" only proves to me PayPal is soo out of touch with current scams out there that this is truly unacceptable.

I found this link that you can provide to paypal and you also may be able to use to rid yourself of this trash program. There are instructions and apps on the following link to help you get rid of this rouge program:

http://www.malwarehelp.org/antispyware-win-7-removal.html

Yes, this sucks to be in this situation and this type of fraud "scare ware" tactics happens to a lot of people, so rest assured you are not alone bushape. Paypal should know this by now...

Hope I have offered you some assistance concerning your troubles.

Regards.

• Member ID:  9
  • Followers:  66
  • Topic Count:  245
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1239
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Achievement Points:  11498
  • Days Won:  3

Rockape just dispute the PayPal charge with the credit card company you have linked to your PayPal account. Simple.