Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Soccer VS Football

Toothpick

• Member ID:  1891
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1092
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  6106
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/19/1985

John Cleese, you tell them! ;-)

• Member ID:  1444
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  412
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  3808
  • Content Per Day:  0.74
  • Achievement Points:  25299
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/01/1988
  • Device:  Android

• Member ID:  715
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  418
  • Content Count:  2178
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Achievement Points:  16606
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  11/04/1943
  • Device:  Windows

As much as I hate to admit it he makes many valid points.

I believe in the last Superbowl there were only 12 minutes of actual play time.

But still, soccer in America is viewed, in many cases, as a pansy sport dominated by "Soccer Moms"

A sentiment with which I am in agreement. There is very little more boring than soccer, football for the purists out there, other than possibly baseball. In each case you might as well go watch grass grow.

How do you get excited about where people run back in forth for 90 minutes and usually fail to score a goal?. No wonder the stands are more exciting to watch than the games. It's a pretty good bet a few scrums will break out in the stands for spectator enjoyment.

Wink

• Member ID:  1238
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  6083
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Achievement Points:  50727
  • Days Won:  11
  • Device:  Kindle Fire

Very valid questions.  American "football" baffles me for another reason.  Why, when a "touch down" is scored, does the player not actually have to touch the ball down to the ground but just run over a line??  And why do some of the toughest, meanest, most muscle-bound fitness fanatics in the whole world have to wear a helmet and all that body armour when Rugby players wear a gum shield and padded helmet (to stop their ears being ripped off during play) at most?  And why do they shout out the vital statistics of the cheerleaders during play?  You've heard them - "36, 24, 36...hup, hup hup!". ??? Undecided

• Member ID:  1981
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  121
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  930
  • Birthday:  10/08/1992

abviously that guy has never watched a game of american football... 9/10 times the quarterback calls the play or changes it to what the defense looks like.... and its not like not like the quarterback tells everyone what to do.. he tells them a play and the other players have to memorize all the plays which ive seen number 300+ and you make a mistake bam other team has the ball.... american football players have to think harder than soccer players the players run up and down a field and hopefully there will be one goal a match. and soccer you trip a guy to the ground and you get ejected.... and to bring rugby into it even though this is between football and soccer. football players wear pads and rugby players dont. it was scientifically proven that football players hit 2-3 times harder than a rugby player so the pads kind of equal it out at the most.

• Member ID:  839
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1334
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  7776
  • Birthday:  07/17/1958

That guy made some valid points like Shamu said. This is a debate that will never be solved or proven, one side thinks one way and the other side thinks the other way. This will never change and nobody is going to convince anybody any different. We Americans like the toughest sport there is and that is American Football. The football players have to think more than soccer players.. In soccer they just run around and try to score. If you can make heads or tails of anything. The only time they have to use their head is to hit the ball with it. I know that is an extreme viewpoint but whatever. I did like playing soccer in PE at school. I know I will get shit about this, but it is just a another Americans biased viewpoint. I am not saying this to piss off our European friends. Lest just agree to disagree, that is the only way to solve this issue.

The one sport (if you can call it a sport) that I don't get is wrestling. I agree some things are real but the vast majority is just a bunch of hype in order to keep the sponsors and fans happy. It is not a true sport in the sense of the way people would describe a sport. I don't beleive they should waste the schools money to have in our schools. Why would a couple of sweaty guys rolling around and shit be a sport. I refused to do it when I was in school, because it should of been up to the individual and not mandatory. I just could never understand it.

At least in an organized sport, no matter what sport, people learn to work together as a team and that is far more important towards the aspect of real life.

DEEJAYKEG
 And why do they shout out the vital statistics of the cheerleaders during play?  You've heard them - "36, 24, 36...hup, hup hup!". ??? Undecided

And there you have another reason to watch American Football! Thanks!

Does Soccer have any eye candy for the fans viewing pleasure? Might alleviate some of the boredom and help keep the Hooligans in their seats.  WinkLaughing

• Member ID:  1923
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  234
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  1722
  • Birthday:  10/07/1967

Well, I have to agree with Deejay about one thing, rugby beats both of them hands down. After having played and coached rugby for years, I actually find football a little boring now. Still beats soccer though. Everything beats soccer.

Can't argue about Rugby.......really rough game but I still do not know the rules.

Would certainly watch Rugby over Soccer.

And for John Cleese's benifit he would do well to research English history or at least visit Wikipedia.

For his benefit:

The term soccer originated in England, first appearing in the 1880s as an Oxford "-er" abbreviation of the word "association"

Tongue out

But it's just awesome how john cleese makes the comparisson :-)

I didn't really ment to start a big discussion of it I just wanted to give you guys a laugh but the discussion is also nice.

In my honost opinion I think that it's just part of the culture that us Euro's like football more than american football, baseball and those more typical us-sports.

Just look at the international sports where there is a signifcant difference between the places the participants come from.

Shamu
DEEJAYKEG
 And why do they shout out the vital statistics of the cheerleaders during play?  You've heard them - "36, 24, 36...hup, hup hup!". ??? Undecided

Does Soccer have any eye candy for the fans viewing pleasure? Might alleviate some of the boredom and help keep the Hooligans in their seats.  WinkLaughing

liverpool.jpg

You did ask...Wink

lilgreasy
abviously that guy has never watched a game of american football... 9/10 times the quarterback calls the play or changes it to what the defense looks like.... and its not like not like the quarterback tells everyone what to do.. he tells them a play and the other players have to memorize all the plays which ive seen number 300+ and you make a mistake bam other team has the ball.... american football players have to think harder than soccer players the players run up and down a field and hopefully there will be one goal a match. and soccer you trip a guy to the ground and you get ejected.... and to bring rugby into it even though this is between football and soccer. football players wear pads and rugby players dont. it was scientifically proven that football players hit 2-3 times harder than a rugby player so the pads kind of equal it out at the most.

I mentioned rugby because that is the only (internationally played) type of football played using a similarly shaped ball that is carried by the player up the field and is also the sport from which American Football was adapted.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football

It is also a contact sport whereas physical contact in association football (that you know as "soccer") is regulated.  Yes, according to the rules of the latter, one can be sent off for tripping an opposing player - to do so is unsporting and, if the offender is the last defender, it is a red card offence.  Dangerous or violent conduct on the field is similarly punished (and the player usually serves a period of suspension as well as facing a fine.)  Unfortunately horrific injuries do occasionally happen.  Though I am not an Arsenal fan, I was upset to see their Croatian player Eduardo suffer a compound dislocation of the ankle during one game.  The surgeons did a great job and he is now back playing (for an overseas club).

I don't know how anyone can measure the relative brain activity of players of various sports.  All one can say is the association footballer's brain is working continually for each of the 45-minute halves because the games are not stopped for commercials to be shown.  Skill is easier to quantify.  Pick a spherical ball up and run with it then put the ball onto the ground and dribble it using only your feet, keeping it under your control, for the same distance.  We know the outcome if you want to save yourself the exercise. Wink 

• Member ID:  1239
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  170
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  1232
  • Birthday:  10/05/1972

If you dont think football (sorry soccer) is Dangerous then you have not seen the Leeds or Wimbledon of the 1980's play. Or as a fan you never went to Millwall, West Ham, Chelsea, Carlisle, Man City in the 1980's. These small clubs got terrible names for the firms (gangs) that followed them. As a kid I went watching BWFC (Bolton Wanderers) away to Man City. The streets around the ground were terraced with back alleys between the backs of houses. We walked past one and within seconds hundreds of thugs were laying into Men, Women and Children with bricks, bottles , scaffolding and more. This was after they had won !

On the pitch careers have been ruined by some truely bad tackles.  Head Butts, Biteing, Ball grabing (not the game ball), punches and elbows (not the padded type but the bare knuckle type) are all in the game, you just need to know who to watch and when. The game is cleaner now but this has speeded it up quite a bit. 

Just search Duncan Ferguson and Everton on youtube. Its every bit as dangerous as American Catch (sorry American football)

• Member ID:  1239
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  170
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  1232
  • Birthday:  10/05/1972

DEEJAYKEG
Shamu
DEEJAYKEG

liverpool.jpg

You did ask...Wink

Ive had worse. Shes a stunner after a few pints

• Member ID:  82
  • Group:  ** Registered Users
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1534
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  5020
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Achievement Points:  131490
  • Days Won:  116

It was much worse in the 70's Buttman, for soccer hooligans and for violence on the field, Leeds got their tag "dirty Leeds" from the Revie team of the late 60's early 70's, if you want to see probably the dirtiest English football match ever, watch the Leeds vs Chelsea fa cup final and replay from 1970, even the pitch was as dirty as the players........anyway Buttman shut up and get your lasses arse out againTongue outLaughing

• Member ID:  101
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  109
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.14
  • Content Count:  8133
  • Content Per Day:  1.51
  • Achievement Points:  61498
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  01/23/1974
  • Device:  iPhone

SOCCER(FOOTBALL) ALL THE WAY...AND WHY IS IT CALL AMERICAN FOOTBALL..WHEN THERE IS ONLY 1 GUY THAT ACTUALLY KICKS THE BALL...IF YOU DONT LIKE SOCCER YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN TO A MATCH..IS THE NUMBER 1 SPORT IN THE WORLD...CAN WE ALL BE WRONG?..Undecided....I DONT THINK SO....

THIS IS HOW YOU WE WELCOME MY FAVOURITE TEAM..."COLO COLO"..

TOP THAT....

• Member ID:  101
  • Followers:  109
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.14
  • Content Count:  8133
  • Content Per Day:  1.51
  • Achievement Points:  61498
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  01/23/1974
  • Device:  iPhone

AND THIS WHAT IS LIKE IN THE MIDDLE OF IT ALL....GOD I MISSED IT ALL..

Nobody can argue with South Americas love of the great game, just more proof that it is a working class game, and long may it continueCool

Or watch these crazy fans:

awesome as fuck!

• Member ID:  607
  • Followers:  75
  • Topic Count:  244
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3344
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Achievement Points:  33826
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  09/16/1966

Bushape

That guy made some valid points like Shamu said. This is a debate that will never be solved or proven, one side thinks one way and the other side thinks the other way. This will never change and nobody is going to convince anybody any different. We Americans like the toughest sport there is and that is American Football. The football players have to think more than soccer players.. In soccer they just run around and try to score. If you can make heads or tails of anything. The only time they have to use their head is to hit the ball with it. I know that is an extreme viewpoint but whatever. I did like playing soccer in PE at school. I know I will get shit about this, but it is just a another Americans biased viewpoint. I am not saying this to piss off our European friends. Lest just agree to disagree, that is the only way to solve this issue.

The one sport (if you can call it a sport) that I don't get is wrestling. I agree some things are real but the vast majority is just a bunch of hype in order to keep the sponsors and fans happy. It is not a true sport in the sense of the way people would describe a sport. I don't beleive they should waste the schools money to have in our schools. Why would a couple of sweaty guys rolling around and shit be a sport. I refused to do it when I was in school, because it should of been up to the individual and not mandatory. I just could never understand it.

At least in an organized sport, no matter what sport, people learn to work together as a team and that is far more important towards the aspect of real life.

I am sorry Bushape but I must really disagree with your statement "We Americans like the toughest sport there is and that is American Football" . No offense to you or my American Friends but we British have the toughest sport in the world RUGBY !!

There is more play more action AND NO PADDING just raw muscle and bones now thats tough and also NO ADVERTS.

• Member ID:  410
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2033
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Achievement Points:  10669
  • Birthday:  12/04/1948

Oh so true, but paradoxally the word soccer originated in England.

Sorry Bushape but after reading your reply it's obvious you ain't got a clue about football m8, in football they often have a split second to think and decide what they are gonna do next, not like American football where they all get together in a heap and get told what the next play is going to be and exactly where they all have to run to....a bit like a robot reallyTongue out

• Member ID:  819
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  1060
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Achievement Points:  6125
  • Birthday:  11/22/1971

Rugby all the way, loved playing it, great to watch, plenty of argy-bargy too!

My mate is off to Twickers today to watch the varsity match lucky Bastard!

C'mon Oxford!

• Member ID:  112
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1132
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Achievement Points:  6975
  • Birthday:  10/09/1960