Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Is Overclocking Worth It?

SMOKEMIST

• Member ID:  389
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  45
  • Topic Count:  296
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4473
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Achievement Points:  36540
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  40
  • Birthday:  01/01/1970
  • Device:  Android

DJ QTF

sounds you got your system just humming and yes with that kind of game you need the extra ponies ;)

an save bundle tweeking hardware

Edited by KaptCrunch

• Member ID:  2048
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  294
  • Content Count:  6689
  • Content Per Day:  1.37
  • Achievement Points:  48999
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  05/30/1967
  • Device:  Windows

i still run the 1st intll quad core cpu which is bulletpoof .Iv overclockd it and it really made no huge perfomance diffrences other then i could brag about it at the time..its not oveclockd anymore ...its back to stock heatsinks and 2 less fans.its quiet and prfoms the same.

• Member ID:  3655
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  198
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  1538
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/16/1991

better cooling apperataus be it water cooler or better case flow

for number 1 killer in eletronics is heat if not protect will disappear ( try using a cpu without a heatsink and how long it lasts ?)

DJ:: I'm the pioneer of water cooling and over the years have soaked a few setups that returned to service after a time out to dry proper

most people are impatient a kill hardware when its still wet they power the compoenets

yes over heating shorten electronics life

well heating is not a issue to me. i stress test my cpu it doesnt go higher than 45 celcius. all im wondering is. do u get better performance outta bf3 when the game is not even using 75% of my stock cpu speed

The useless bastards who i bought my new PC from overclocked it by mistake, it caused me problems, especially when playing games like BF3, my core temps would get very high and my PC would make a hell of a racket from the fans being overworked (sounded like the fans anyway) they had to send me instructions to go into my BIOS and change all the settings to remove the overclocking, it's running good now and never gets too hot anymore or makes no noise, suffice to say i will not be buying anything else from these useless twats. :realmad: I was also told overclocking lessens the life of your processors and also can make your PC crash regularly, on the whole i would say just buy better processors if you can afford it, will probably be cheaper in the long run.

I do not agree.

If you overclock correctly, you find a safe stable place for your processor to run, and crashing just doesn't happen. If you get memory timing wrong - crash. Set voltages wrong - crash. Use the clock multipliers wrong - crash. Go too far - crash. Do it right - purrs like a kitten in overdrive. Some people don't know how to do it. They give overclocking a bad name. I worked with an Intel Beta Tester to tune my i7. It works flawlessly at 4.2GHz, up about a 27% OC from its native 3.07GHz.

exactly

its my understanding that if you overclock by moderate amounts that it will not do any harm to your hardware but if you take it to extremes then it will burn it up in an early death. my asus mb came with software that will allow moderate as well as extreme overclocking. in my opinion stay away from extreme overclocking like the black plague.

Katana

Again my question: Why?

In Smokes case 25% of his Core i5 are IDLE. I see only one reason for consumers to overclock actual hardware, like

damage_inc said: its just for bragging rights-oh look mines bigger...blah blah

And the overclocking optins are only marketing tricks. IMHO it is no longer necessary...

exactly. ikr. 25% is on idle. therefore i dont really c the point of OC ing unless your cpu s running 100% on your game. and bottleneck ing your card. i got gtx 670 sli even those guys dont get bottlenecked. so no oc ing for me for now

• Member ID:  3189
  • Followers:  94
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  5234
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Achievement Points:  48754
  • Days Won:  112
  • Birthday:  12/24/1957

% Processor Utilization is not equal to, or have anything to do with Processor Speed. There is a work load that the CPU must accommodate. Now, is it going to do it at 100% of its rated speed, or is it going to do it at 125% of its rated speed? Utilization is still the same, but at 125% of rated speed, how can you not get the same work done faster? Does this make sense?

As to not seeing improvements with a CPU overclocked, I can only assume that whatever was used as a benchmark in real life was either disk bound, or memory bound because memory was not tuned properly (or the modules were not matched properly to the processor) leaving the CPU waiting on the memory subsystem. Sorry guys. It is rocket science. You have to understand all the factors at play.

For a Sandy Bridge motherboard chipset, which memory timing is better? 7-7-7-17-1T or 9-9-9-24-1T? What speeds can these modules be run at? Rhetorical of course, but if you cannot answer these questions, you have no business trying to OC anything. Stay AWAY from your BIOS. Save your money. Run a stock Intel CPU cooler/fan, and don't worry about another thing. - OR - Go ahead and educate yourself and have some fun. And, btw, not everyone has fun with this shit, so no shame in just accepting what you got. And for everyone in the middle, a reputable builder will get this all done for you at a reasonable cost. A cost below what some high-brow gaming system company (Alienware(Dell)) would sell it for, but possibly more than the Big Box Store deal-of-the-day.

• Member ID:  2985
  • Followers:  71
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1670
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Achievement Points:  20177
  • Days Won:  14
  • Birthday:  12/01/1966

Keep it cool !! Run the hell out of it!! It's fun too see what you can do with them!!! AMD a few years ago was the overclock king!!! Today all things being even there is no need in it with the batch of games that are out now.....

• Member ID:  3095
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1277
  • Birthday:  02/14/1963

I've have overclocked nearly every computer I've built over the years. The need to OC all depends on what you use your PC for. For me, it produces tangible benefits in the distributed computing projects I'm involved with. Also, things like video encoding see an improvement.

In terms of gaming, the benefits are less if you have a modern PC. Most games today are not CPU constrained.

• Member ID:  3095
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  188
  • Achievement Points:  1277
  • Birthday:  02/14/1963

The useless bastards who i bought my new PC from overclocked it by mistake, it caused me problems, especially when playing games like BF3, my core temps would get very high and my PC would make a hell of a racket from the fans being overworked (sounded like the fans anyway) they had to send me instructions to go into my BIOS and change all the settings to remove the overclocking, it's running good now and never gets too hot anymore or makes no noise, suffice to say i will not be buying anything else from these useless twats. :realmad: I was also told overclocking lessens the life of your processors and also can make your PC crash regularly, on the whole i would say just buy better processors if you can afford it, will probably be cheaper in the long run.

I do not agree.

If you overclock correctly, you find a safe stable place for your processor to run, and crashing just doesn't happen. If you get memory timing wrong - crash. Set voltages wrong - crash. Use the clock multipliers wrong - crash. Go too far - crash. Do it right - purrs like a kitten in overdrive. Some people don't know how to do it. They give overclocking a bad name. I worked with an Intel Beta Tester to tune my i7. It works flawlessly at 4.2GHz, up about a 27% OC from its native 3.07GHz.

That' is the TRUTH. The problem today is that overclocking was made "too easy". The thing is, most people ocing today have no clue what they're doing, i.e. simply changing a multiplier. It's not like the old days where we had to move jumpers around and tweek the BIOS settings endlessly until we had the right balance. If overclocking is done right, a system will live just as long as a non-oc'd system and be 100% stable. For me, this dates all the way back to the original 486 CPU's......that's when OCing really came alive.

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  3821
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  158
  • Achievement Points:  1050
  • Birthday:  04/20/1972

dj is right! if you OC the cpu then you have to change your RAM timings to match... i dont see a need for it from your description now but give it time and wait to see if you want to later.

enjoy your hardware for now, if do OC you will still have to spend a little more to cool it

Awards

• Member ID:  3453
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  668
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Achievement Points:  5126
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  04/22/1975

I had old intel first gen dual core when they called it a "pentium D" had it over clocked day one out of the box with good past and good air cooler never got hotter then 59 c ran great up till this year when I built a new computer now the old still running 8yr son has it .so it been overclocked for 8 years and running. big thing like they said is proper cooling also keep you fans and case clean dust it out at least twice a year or more if u live where there alotta animals or city with bad air.i now got my new 3770k 3.4ghz running at 4.3 without increasing voltage . but bottem line if u don't need to overclock well then you don't have to . if u like to see what you can get out of a system then you do it.:)

• Member ID:  42
  • Followers:  50
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Content Count:  8268
  • Content Per Day:  1.54
  • Achievement Points:  53638
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  01/30/1959