Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Help! Cannot Update Driver For Nvidia 660

Sweatnbullets

• Member ID:  213
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  819
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Achievement Points:  5645
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/06/1963
  • Device:  Windows

I have a fresh install of 7 64 bit on new hardrive,  When I go to device manager, See my 660 gtx video card in list, it says I have a driver from 12/29/2012 in. When I go to update driver tab, it says I have the best one available in. I have the 310.90 version driver sitting on my desktop, I install it, it does a bunch of stuff, screen flickers, says its done instaling, but it is not listed in device manager. I have disabled it, I have uninstalled it, rebooted a 100 times..reinstalled card. it Never shows up as installed. When I log on and go to BF3 I start loading map...I log in  the game opens for 1 sec. and closes.  I have shut off my fire wall. disabled my anti virus.. I have tried to enter my bios to check settings, cant I hit F2 and this SSD drive just loads windows.. I will be on Teamspeak today, hoping someone who is good at this can help.

WELL Got it Fixed..... thanks for all the help.. but when your PC and windows update says its done, its not. restart and search for more updates..then update them, after 4 hours you should have them all. I took 6  ......lol

Edited by Sweatnbullets

• Member ID:  389
  • Followers:  45
  • Topic Count:  296
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4492
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Achievement Points:  36660
  • Days Won:  40
  • Birthday:  01/01/1970

if OS not seeing the card can be bad slot, remove card and check contacts reinstall card other is card failled or wrong drivers 

when install 310.90  did you right click  an run as admin

• Member ID:  1128
  • Followers:  78
  • Topic Count:  1204
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  6538
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Achievement Points:  63540
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  10/21/1954

Hey bullets have you tried putting your old card back in and if so does it read it? If it does then you at least eliminate  the slot being a bad slot for sure!

If it doesn't then it has to be one of 2 things. Either there is no power getting to it or something is broken between the power source and the card. Yet you said you can see the card being in the device manager. So that more or less eliminates there is no power getting to it. Did you do a re-partition when you installed win7 64? Just curious how you did the re-installing of win 7 64?

• Member ID:  906
  • Followers:  144
  • Topic Count:  518
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  17140
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Achievement Points:  149022
  • Days Won:  680
  • Birthday:  11/30/1960

NO DEAN HE PUT IN HIS OLD CARD AND IT DOES THE SAME THING ..NEW INSTALL .OF WINDOWS ON SSD ..SO I DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS ..

• Member ID:  1965
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1176
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  8599
  • Birthday:  02/11/1969

I have a fresh install of 7 64 bit on new hardrive,  When I go to device manager, See my 660 gtx video card in list, it says I have a driver from 12/29/2012 in. When I go to update driver tab, it says I have the best one available in. I have the 310.90 version driver sitting on my desktop, I install it, it does a bunch of stuff, screen flickers, says its done instaling, but it is not listed in device manager. I have disabled it, I have uninstalled it, rebooted a 100 times..reinstalled card. it Never shows up as installed. When I log on and go to BF3 I start loading map...I log in  the game opens for 1 sec. and closes.  I have shut off my fire wall. disabled my anti virus.. I have tried to enter my bios to check settings, cant I hit F2 and this SSD drive just loads windows.. I will be on Teamspeak today, hoping someone who is good at this can help.

never let windows update your drivers for video....go to the nvidia site...select your particular card from beta and archived driver sets..or the present whql...don't bother with that windows shit..set it to never update ...as well you might have to go into your bios to see what your settings are..might not be as compatible as the older setup...go into add and remove remove all drivers for nviidia including physx sound and everything....have your selection downloaded to wherever you download to,,,reboot into 800 by 600 do the custom thing fresh install....on the nvidia driver set....make sure you have the 64 bit version....remember custom install ...clean install..that way it will remove any traces of the old driver set...good luck...as well check the power requirements on the 12v rail...maybe psu related?,,,lots of things to consider

Edited by JohnnyQuest

• Member ID:  934
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  832
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Achievement Points:  5656
  • Birthday:  08/16/1960

I just installed a new Radeaon card and had a bit of trouble in XP. I know this is off topic a bit but it might help someone.

I radeons removal tool and driver sweeper but drivers wouldn't load properly.

Ended up booting in safe mode and deleted all ATI folder by hand. Only then did drivers load properly.

• Member ID:  3189
  • Followers:  94
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  5234
  • Content Per Day:  1.16
  • Achievement Points:  48754
  • Days Won:  112
  • Birthday:  12/24/1957

never let windows update your drivers for video....go to the nvidia site...select your particular card from beta and archived driver sets..or the present whql...don't bother with that windows shit..set it to never update ...as well you might have to go into your bios to see what your settings are..might not be as compatible as the older setup...go into add and remove remove all drivers for nviidia including physx sound and everything....have your selection downloaded to wherever you download to,,,reboot into 800 by 600 do the custom thing fresh install....on the nvidia driver set....make sure you have the 64 bit version....remember custom install ...clean install..that way it will remove any traces of the old driver set...good luck...as well check the power requirements on the 12v rail...maybe psu related?,,,lots of things to consider

JohnnyQuest is absolutely right.  This is the site you want to go to when looking for the latest and greatest GeForce drivers - http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Don't do the automatic detection.  It needs to run Java, which you should have disabled in your browser anyway.  Just use the manual search options and specify everything you have using the drop-down lists they provide.  That will get you to the right driver.

And just to reiterate a point he makes, always - even if updating from one version of GeForce driver to the next - perform a "clean install" which is a checkbox you check after selecting to do a custom install.  Don't change any options other than that for the custom install.  All the other settings will give you all you need, but the "clean install" option is not selected by default.

Darth Yoda - Radeon drivers are totally messed up where removal is concerned.  Don't know about Win7, but on an XP box I just replaced an ATI card with a GrForce card, I found entries for the driver, a control panel app, and an un-installation tool.  Apparently, you are supposed to "remove" (through the XP Add/Remove Programs control panel applet) the un-installer which will uninstall the suite of drivers and associated programs.  I removed the associated programs first, so "removing" the uninstaller threw an initialization error.  Grrrrrrr!  Idiots.  The drivers still uninstalled anyway.  BUT, I installed the new GeForce card, then installed it's driver after downloading from the aforementioned website (while in an ugly low-res display state,) and finally went after tossing out the ATI stuff.

• Member ID:  906
  • Followers:  144
  • Topic Count:  518
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  17140
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Achievement Points:  149022
  • Days Won:  680
  • Birthday:  11/30/1960

he got it going ..some updates did not take and it is working fine now ..

• Member ID:  2162
  • Group:  ++ COD4 Admin
  • Followers:  153
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5109
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Achievement Points:  44814
  • Days Won:  22
  • Birthday:  02/26/1972

I noticed something funky with my Windows Re-installs.I was getting several corrupt driver installs until I got .NET Framework installed.After that everything went smooth as silk.

It Corrupted the Following drivers, Graphics (Video card) driver,Sound card driver,Network driver and it would not even let me install the SATA drivers or Raid Monitoring utilities that I use.

After Installing .NET FrameWork it let me install my NIC driver and all 164 windows updates without a hiccup.

It's a good thing that I downloaded the Redistributable copy of .NET Framework and burnt it to disk or I would of been screwed.I have 2 older versions of Windows 7 64 without SP1.It doesn't have drivers for the newer Intel NIC.

I almost reinstalled the whole OS again after it corrupted those drivers but Managed to get Driver Sweeper to run and reinstalled the drivers.

• Member ID:  1130
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  216
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2267
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Achievement Points:  17291
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/02/1948

Glad to hear you got it working Sweatn....