Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Looks like win10 a must have

Sammy

• Member ID:  3036
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  31
  • Topic Count:  219
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  9419
  • Content Per Day:  2.06
  • Achievement Points:  62539
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  21
  • Birthday:  04/26/2008
  • Device:  Windows

Seems more program updates are not working because of changes in python. Yesterday it was Maya and before UE4 was having some problems. If a particular win10+ dll file is missing then python wont load. Which in turn causes programs not to run. The only 'solution' is to downgrade python but thats a band aid also. Looks like the win10 free upgrade thing still works from what I read so maybe go that route. Other than a drive backup first, any gotchas I should watch out for? Also, since my license is win7 pro, will that update to win10 pro? And best way to do it?

• Member ID:  59
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  137
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2115
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  15146
  • Days Won:  13

I had to upgrade 3 of our office computers from 7pro to 10pro.  Everything went smoothly.  I still have several pc's with 7pro, due to legacy VST's apps I use to create music.  Those I will leave at 7 till I have no choice.  Staying away from 11 till, again, I am forced to do so.  But 10 went really smooth during the upgrade.

• Member ID:  3036
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  31
  • Topic Count:  219
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  9419
  • Content Per Day:  2.06
  • Achievement Points:  62539
  • Days Won:  21
  • Birthday:  04/26/2008

Ok thanks. I really dont want to upgrade and am not particularly worried about vulnerabilities since I am pretty safe where I go and have all the usual tools that watch out for shit. Just that this python update now starting to cause programs to fail with the missing dll is starting to creep up.

One day I will make a new system with all the new expensive goodies as my primary and my current one can be reinstalled with win7 at a later date. Either that or just get a used PC laptop from a reputable seller and install win7 with the programs on that. Without a windows license included it would likely be cheaper than otherwise.

• Member ID:  2162
  • Group:  ++ COD4 Admin
  • Followers:  153
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5101
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Achievement Points:  44747
  • Days Won:  22
  • Birthday:  02/26/1972

Back up EVERYTHING you have and want to keep to another drive. It might save most of the stuff but you will loose 99% of the installation files and all of your passwords,logins and Browser bookmarks. Win10 uses a combination of Profile based installation locations along with the regular old installation directory.

Example of where it stores the Profile and Mods and Maps for COD4 in win10. C:\Users\"User Name"\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\players\profiles and it installs the actual game files in Program Files (x86). C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare

Create a Microsoft account if you do not have 1. This will make it much much easier to activate windows. Once you install Win 10 you can simply use your Microsoft account to log into windows and it will activate. After you log in to windows and you verify that it has successfully activated you can then switch to a Local Account so you don't have to put in an annoying user name and password every time you turn your PC on.

Once you are upgraded and it Activates (Make 100% sure that it activates after upgrading) it would be a very very good idea to format the HDD and do a Fresh install of win 10 using the Latest Pre Patched installation media which can be had by using this link.

This is the latest Installation media tool from Microsofts site.  https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209 

Best thing about the Pre Patched Installation media is that you don't have to sit and wait for hours apon hours of windows updates and restarts. It might have a few small updates but it's much much much muuuuuuuuch faster using the Pre Patched Installation media. 

Make sure that you have an empty 4-8gb+ USB Thumb drive handy. Select "Create Installation Media", Next tab,Select Language/Win 10 and 64bit version. Next tab select USB Flash Drive. Select your USB drive and hit next and it will start downloading. I just made a fresh Install drive while I typed this out and it is 3.15gb for Win10 x64. 

To do a fresh install you will need to go into Bios and make sure that USB booting is enabled and set boot priority to USB 1st. Or you can press F10* when you start your PC and tell it to boot from the USB drive without going into your bios.

* (It can be DEL, F2, F8, F10 or ESC depending on the motherboard manufacturer and brand of your PC if it's a Pre-built)

You probibly know how to install windows from a USB drive if you did it before but, there ya go. :lol:

Edited by J3st3r

• Member ID:  389
  • Followers:  45
  • Topic Count:  296
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4485
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Achievement Points:  36614
  • Days Won:  40
  • Birthday:  01/01/1970

maybe a  problem  .......timed bombed   may have roll back bios clock to Oct. 5, 2021 to install from win10 creation file  with no internet connected 

i'm with Jester  BACK UP   

for me i get another  HDD and clone win7  then remove  new cloned drive (as in the whole drive)  then use the update creation file 

Edited by KaptCrunch

Sammy what OS / hardware ?  32 or 64 Bit ? 

Note that Python 3.9.12 cannot be used on Windows 7 or earlier. Download Windows embeddable package (32-bit); Download Windows embeddable package (64-bit) ...

‎Python 2.7.18 · ‎Python 3.6.15 · ‎Python 3.11.0a5 · ‎Python 3.7.8rc1

look here‎      

• Member ID:  906
  • Followers:  144
  • Topic Count:  516
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  17121
  • Content Per Day:  3.25
  • Achievement Points:  148885
  • Days Won:  680
  • Birthday:  11/30/1960

my new pc came with windows 11. it's working great ..and no probs with the new pc running great 3060 ti bad ass

• Member ID:  23233
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2474
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Achievement Points:  19488
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  08/11/1963

like i said maybe im coward but i always wait until there is no service on the Os i have before i change to the next one!!

11 hours ago, tsw 8.5 said:

my new pc came with windows 11. it's working great ..and no probs with the new pc running great 3060 ti bad ass

Question you have phone sync to PC ?  gaming part no issues 

• Member ID:  906
  • Followers:  144
  • Topic Count:  516
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  17121
  • Content Per Day:  3.25
  • Achievement Points:  148885
  • Days Won:  680
  • Birthday:  11/30/1960

14 hours ago, KaptCrunch said:

Question you have phone sync to PC ?  gaming part no issues 

no sync .have not had any issues with any thing so far. like any change it take time to get used to how it works .but it's all good so far