Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

For Those Of You Who Don't Already Know!

BigPapaDean

• Member ID:  1128
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  78
  • Topic Count:  1199
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  6528
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Achievement Points:  63435
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  10/21/1954
  • Device:  Windows

I remember the old days of formatting my hard drive where when you did it you lost all existing files in it. Well this afternoon while talking with Larson on xfire and trying to figure out what my pc probs are he told me I may have to reformat my hard drive. I didn't like the sound of that at all, so he looked up and found the following link that explains how you can do it and not loose anything! Now all I have to do is drag and drop files I want to back-up. This saved me hours of work and I am grateful for sure!

http://technet.micro...e/gg309170.aspx

• Member ID:  3095
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1277
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/14/1963

Windows drive manager has been around since Windows 2000. You can only create a partition if you have unpartitioned space. Most of the time, there's no unpart. space left on a drive if it was setup properly to begin with.

An even better way is to use a second hard drive, an external hard drive, a USB flash drive or simply burn an optical disk. You should have your data backed up anyway!

• Member ID:  2048
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  6689
  • Content Per Day:  1.37
  • Achievement Points:  48999
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  05/30/1967

partitioning Ive learned blows.I wish I could easily remove all partitions for free.Its a pain in the arse to do it then your always moving shit around because the partitions tend to get full and everything wants to go to C drive anyways so your always moving shit out of c to somewhere else...Next time no partitions and just get the 500gb or 1tb drive .Tchnology has come along way and is at a point you dont really need to partition now for the normal person.

• Member ID:  623
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1072
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Achievement Points:  7809
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/26/1982

Partitions work great, and most programs give you the option to install on another drive. I always have 4 partitions on my computer, one for windows and productivity and such type software, one for games, and game related software, one for music and videos, and one for whatever. throwing everything on one partition is confusing to me, as it looks unorganized. it also seems to help things run faster and smoother.

• Member ID:  92
  • Followers:  42
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2241
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Achievement Points:  13358
  • Birthday:  06/09/1977

NAS (Network Access Storage) drives. I'm getting a 4TB RAID1 NAS drive, and it works a treat, brilliant with the number of machines in our house. Also comes with encryption.

Best thing since sliced bread

This is the bad boy I'm getting: http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/9515953/art/iomega/storcenter-ix2-200-networ.html

• Member ID:  42
  • Followers:  50
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  8274
  • Content Per Day:  1.54
  • Achievement Points:  53676
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  01/30/1959

nas is sweet been using a dlink 323 for a couple of years now . Its almost full too time for an 8 terrabite weeeeee

• Member ID:  3214
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  206
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2362
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Achievement Points:  14004
  • Birthday:  06/23/1981

I remember the old days of formatting my hard drive where when you did it you lost all existing files in it. Well this afternoon while talking with Larson on xfire and trying to figure out what my pc probs are he told me I may have to reformat my hard drive. I didn't like the sound of that at all, so he looked up and found the following link that explains how you can do it and not loose anything! Now all I have to do is drag and drop files I want to back-up. This saved me hours of work and I am grateful for sure!

http://technet.micro...e/gg309170.aspx

gotta love >xi<

• Member ID:  219
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  492
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  2906
  • Birthday:  04/28/1957

I found that formatting with windows if you want a fully clean disk ( even if you re-partition), will not do it. there are some files Microsoft saves and this has caused me trouble in the past.

So now when I want to blow everything off a drive, I use 3rd party software.

You ever have an install issue that no matter how many times you try and format, re-partition and re-install you get the same crap?

Well if you do, don't format using the windows disk, you will be beating your head against the wall. Try getting some disk tools on-line and format using a 3rd party tool

• Member ID:  2068
  • Group:  +++ COD5 Head Admin
  • Followers:  69
  • Topic Count:  1076
  • Topics Per Day:  0.22
  • Content Count:  8444
  • Content Per Day:  1.73
  • Achievement Points:  75031
  • Days Won:  64
  • Birthday:  05/23/1973
  • Device:  Android

I have my hard drive partitioned once. C for OS and installed programs and D for all my personal files and certain files backed up from C so when I run a back up, I simply back up D. I have 2 HP ProLiant servers running in my basement so everyone in my home backs their stuff up to their own space on the server. Backups are important these days with so much information being kept electronic, some of which, who cares if you loose, and others such as family photos that are irreplaceable.

• Member ID:  220
  • Followers:  147
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  16950
  • Content Per Day:  3.16
  • Achievement Points:  129713
  • Days Won:  120
  • Birthday:  04/05/1970

I have my hard drive partitioned once. C for OS and installed programs and D for all my personal files and certain files backed up from C so when I run a back up, I simply back up D. I have 2 HP ProLiant servers running in my basement so everyone in my home backs their stuff up to their own space on the server. Backups are important these days with so much information being kept electronic, some of which, who cares if you loose, and others such as family photos that are irreplaceable.

What are the model of your Proliants? I would love to get an old DL380.

Windows drive manager has been around since Windows 2000. You can only create a partition if you have unpartitioned space. Most of the time, there's no unpart. space left on a drive if it was setup properly to begin with.

An even better way is to use a second hard drive, an external hard drive, a USB flash drive or simply burn an optical disk. You should have your data backed up anyway!

I have not read all responses.. you can make a partition in a partition with Partition Magic and other products. But not sure I would want to do that.

Dean? You cant get one more dirve or you dont have one for backups? Not sure what all was said here but..

I like one drive C: one partition C: and an external for when backups that are needed. I have 172GB of music. It is very hard to protect that without more than one copy. That being the most important and biggest information..... i have 3 copies.

If you only have one drive.. you will be saying goodbye to all your shit one of these days. Get a new drive and once you get your system up and running.. I will walk you through mirroring your new load on your PC to the old drive then when you fuck it up.. just backup changed data and Mirror the other drive back and your up and running.

I keep an spare drive in my PC unplugged with a fresh load of my PC with everything installed and setup to a point Im happy with.

This is what I use.. if you dont think you need this... your wrong. lol This dvd or cd bootable has lots of great tools. You want see if you pc works.. boot of it and run windows xp. If that works your pc works. Mirror adjust partitions, fix virus, drive tools all here.

This to me is gold in software. It was very hard to find.. replacing my Tech182 bootable.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/89431228/Tools/Multi-Boot.iso

Edited by hxtr

• Member ID:  45
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  981
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  9034
  • Content Per Day:  1.68
  • Achievement Points:  65966
  • Birthday:  02/25/1951

I'm firm believer in partitioning a hard drive , If you running your operating system from that drive , Just think have to format a 1,2, or 3 Tera byte drive and losing all your files ,Or just run your operating system from a SSD drive ,even better. Not everyone has a backup , And if your get a nasty virus and just need to to reinstall windows ,then all is not lost , makes life a lot easier, And yes a nas in my future , I have usb backup now , But Nas drive is better and faster , Then I can use it for movies as well.

• Member ID:  22339
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  167
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1715
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Achievement Points:  12965
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  03/20/1972

Wow. Great information in this thread!

After learning a hard lesson many years ago, I don't keep a lot of files on my computer. I save most everything to an external hard drive and have my computer run backups once a week to it. I wish I could connect both of my computers to the external simultaneously though.

I have a ML350 G5, a DL145 G2, and a DL380 G2.

• Member ID:  623
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1072
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Achievement Points:  7809
  • Birthday:  10/26/1982

After learning a hard lesson many years ago, I don't keep a lot of files on my computer. I save most everything to an external hard drive and have my computer run backups once a week to it. I wish I could connect both of my computers to the external simultaneously though.

You can, you could have every computer in your house that connects to your network send it's back up to your external drive.

I know it's possible, I can't tell you how to do it, cause networking ain't my strong suit, but these guys here should be able to. I know this is how my pop-in-law does his. His desktop, 2 laptops, and a desktop on his living room TV all backup to the same external drive connected to his main desktop. and he can access that drive from any one of the computers. I guess it's basically making it a server of sorts.

Edited by simplemod

ML was the server case i think rather the rack like the two DL's. Nice a DL380 G2..... great server like the old Compaq 1500's! Compaq made the best raid controllers..... I miss Compaq.

You can, you could have every computer in your house that connects to your network send it's back up to your external drive.

I know it's possible, I can't tell you how to do it, cause networking ain't my strong suit, but these guys here should be able to. I know this is how my pop-in-law does his. His desktop, 2 laptops, and a desktop on his living room TV all backup to the same external drive connected to his main desktop. and he can access that drive from any one of the computers. I guess it's basically making it a server of sorts.

it is not hard to setup.. you can have the the drive hooked to one PC, create a share to a folder of you choice, map the drive to the folder shared and it is like a local drive. Run backups.. and ur done. Instead of going to the external you can have one PC backup to the other PC so the external is not plugged in all the time (bad idea) then just have the other PC's backup include the other PC's.

I can help you setup if you want. If you ask Pinglo how to he starts talking about clouds. His head is always in the clouds. hahahahaha

it is not hard to setup.. you can have the the drive hooked to one PC, create a share to a folder of you choice, map the drive to the folder shared and it is like a local drive. Run backups.. and ur done. Instead of going to the external you can have one PC backup to the other PC so the external is not plugged in all the time (bad idea) then just have the other PC's backup include the other PC's.

I can help you setup if you want. If you ask Pinglo how to he starts talking about clouds. His head is always in the clouds. hahahahaha

Ideally, with an external drive, if you can get one that plugs into your router, then no need to have a PC on to share the drive as the external would be available at all times through the router. But what hxtr said will work as well.

ML was the server case i think rather the rack like the two DL's. Nice a DL380 G2..... great server like the old Compaq 1500's! Compaq made the best raid controllers..... I miss Compaq.

You are correct. The ML is a tower case style where the other 2 are rack mount. One thing I do like about the ML style is that it doesn't take up a lot of space. Also to note is that I can use regular SATA drives in the ML350 and DL145 where the DL380 is a bit older, uses SCSI drives.

• Member ID:  112
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1132
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Achievement Points:  6975
  • Birthday:  10/09/1960

damn i have about 10 DL380's G1's a few Dell 2450's tons of old gear free to anyone that wants to pick it up

• Member ID:  1103
  • Followers:  64
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  1977
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Achievement Points:  15642
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  01/01/2012

damn i have about 10 DL380's G1's a few Dell 2450's tons of old gear free to anyone that wants to pick it up

Nice, those are almost as fast as my iPad.

I said they were old :w00t:

• Member ID:  2025
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  294
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  1746
  • Birthday:  08/05/1959

That is a great help Dean. I used to hate losing everything. Thanks to you and Larson. Vincent

where the fuck do you live.. hahahahaha

the 1500, then dl series were good servers. I liked the dells as well... worked on many 2450's but the raid controler.. perks suck something horibble at that time. Not sure about now.... compaq, just plug the drive in.. it will sort it out. Dell... seen many severs lose systems requiring a reload due to one rive failure. Kind of defeated the purpose. Sure that has been resolved.. i hope.

Would love to get the dl380.. had lots of fun with them.

I would so love to get an old Compaq 5000. Would even put netware on it. That would be the shit. lol

now im hardware dreaming.