Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Computer help

DREAD69

• Member ID:  628
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  659
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  5300
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/19/1986
  • Device:  Android

Well I am getting more and more request to work on computers and I am kinda getting bored. I tend to give advice for hardware settings and Overclocking a lot and it has been taking a lot of my time. I do crossloop and other remote desktop management services also and can have a computer up to it's potential in no time. It seems every time I turn arround I am getting these request. I don't mind working on computers but I need a way to make it more fresh or enjoyable. I have a select cuple of members that show there appreciation. They help me get a new game send me parts or a little paypall. I am posting here for some advice on how to make my time seem like it is worth something to me and not the guys getting free help. I do not want to come off the wrong way but I get the job done and then a lot of these people leave me hanging. I have members that even promised a paypall donation $5 $10 dollars. I work for 4-5 hours on the system and weeks later no paypall. I mean come on smoke one less pack of cigs and make somebody feel worth the work. I am not going to say names but you know who you are. This is not a recent developement so If I just  worked on your computer this is not nessasarly about you. Just looking for ideas. I have spent more hours working on computers then I game lately. If I have worked on a computer for you and you believe I have helped maybe a post in this thread would help others see what I am talking about or push them to do the right thing. I do not want to end up being an ass and not wanting to help anyone anymore. I also do not want to just start a fee because I would not do that with my brother or any other member of my family. This is like another family to me and there are lots of good people here. Just looking for help so don't post being negative plz.  :)

P.S. WiZiD I will make time to walk you threw your bios this weekend. Thanks for the Cmos Clear switch.

• Member ID:  189
  • Group:  ** Registered Users
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  1388
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Achievement Points:  7432
  • Birthday:  02/01/1978
  • Device:  Windows

shown me some great overclocking on my ram my pc is running awsome youo like overclock dread the one to talk to prime 95 for 24 hrs awsome

• Member ID:  68
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2709
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Achievement Points:  14854
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/13/1969

maybe I got your post wrong Dread? if it is this way sorry... but I agree with caper....

its not about getting some money to feel good... you are doing a great job to help people with things like this

maybe you just to have say "NO" sometimes if you dont have the time to help or you just want to play...

• Member ID:  58
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  370
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2552
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Achievement Points:  16507
  • Birthday:  08/27/1975

Moddified by Dread stock was 3400Mhz.  I know I could deff buy him a case of beer when I see him Laughing.  We all have certain skills here that makes XI a great family.  I dont need a dime for helping others but its that idiots that I make happy by helping them that makes me feel like a great idiot:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor @ 4017 Mhz
CPU ID: AMD64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 3
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium   
Physical memory: 8.00 GB
Display adapter: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series 1024 MB
Video Processor: ATI display adapter (0x6898)
Driver version: 8.710.3.0 (20100205000000.000000-000)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 x.x

[EDIT DREAD] [i Was Pissed]

Wow Guess that gives my answer. Well I hope somebody else wants the job because I quit. I did not want that kind of answer because I have been feeling that I have been being used and not even having these same people I help play with me online. You sir cannot befriend somebody and take advantage of the fact that they have OCD and get them to spend so many hours on computers for free and leave them hanging feeling like they have done nothing. I have no problem with helping my friends. I have been tricked and coorced to help with promises and would have been buisy with my friends otherwise. Then after I stop everything for this encentive I get dicked. Well FUCK IT ! I was looking for some understanding not somebody to accuse me of wanting money. EVERYBODY JUST STOP ASKING ME FOR HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My girlfriend is pissed art me all the time because I have OCD and ADHD and I feel like I have to help everyone. Now I am going without sleep and effecting my relationship and personal health because I always want to help. I have a problem with my dissorder that is why some days I read 18 to 20 hours learning about these machines. There is a diffrerence betwine being helpfull and feeling used ! FUCK THAT SHIT ! I also do not want to just start a fee because I would not do that with my brother or any other member of my family. How is that asking for money. I ask for ideas and get this. I understand now that I re read my post that I need a way to sort out the people that desirve my help because apparently everyone in this clan is not worthy. How do you feel working on a computer for 5 Hours and then never talking to that person again till they need more help. So now how do I feel that this whole thread is in vane and I cannot even talk about a simple problem I am having here.  Just cause you have XI taggs I feel compelled to help you, I tell you I don't have the time, We make a deal because you want my time and I give my end, You fuck me over, YOU ARE NOT MY FAMILY EVEN IF YOU ARE BLOOD IF THIS IS HOW YOU OPERATE !
ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YESS PLEASE SEND ME MONEY ALL YOUR MONEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUCK THAT MAKES ME ANGRY !

RickJames

Moddified by Dread stock was 3400Mhz.  I know I could deff buy him a case of beer when I see him Laughing.  We all have certain skills here that makes XI a great family.  I dont need a dime for helping others but its that idiots that I make happy by helping them that makes me feel like a great idiot:

You kool wit me ! I am not asking for money I enjoy talking for hours about computer shit and playing games with you. I do not like people that befriend me to use me and are not even my friends.

How did I ask for money ! ? I am starting to hate the sound of Xfire messages and it is not only from this clan I just wanted advice not to be accused of being a money grubber. I wanted advice and apparently I need to cool down and not sit at my computer for a min.........I'm gonna go smoke some bud ! BRB ! AFK !

• Member ID:  189
  • Group:  ** Registered Users
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  1388
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Achievement Points:  7432
  • Birthday:  02/01/1978

U da man dread

• Member ID:  1022
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  8504
  • Content Per Day:  1.63
  • Achievement Points:  81318
  • Days Won:  397
  • Birthday:  07/19/1962

WTF...Hmmm

• Member ID:  133
  • Group:  ++++ Senior Admin
  • Followers:  77
  • Topic Count:  602
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6884
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Achievement Points:  44087
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  12/12/1971

I see your point Dread as if they promise to send money.

Over the years, man I cant even how many times I helped people with Crossloop to sort out the problems and for some I have a 1/2 weeks schedule to help them out. I always said "a thank you is enough" and that really/truely worked out for me. Just in real life great friend, you dont want to help some and some other you reserve time to help out

But I am just in a different position as no job and no girlfriend (for now hehe)  and totally and absolutely 'something' else as you are in. I have to say that once in awhile people of XI do give me parts and believe me.. for 80% of my computer is donated to me and even how many times I said no to do so. For now please time your time and whats been posted just say "No" buddy or refer them to other people / google :)

Piece :)

• Member ID:  4
  • Group:  ++++ Senior Admin
  • Followers:  170
  • Topic Count:  1093
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  5155
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Achievement Points:  43571
  • Days Won:  14
  • Birthday:  08/16/1967

I have read your first post Dread and appreciate that you are raising advice from members a suggestion of whether your help you have given people is appreciated and I realise you are running a business from home.If people you have helped have made suggestions that they would like to honour you a donation,then that is entirely up to them but if they say one thing then do not do that I understand how you must feel as I know you give alot of your expertise one to one time to help people in need.It would seem unfair to not show you the appreciation if they have said they would.

You are an asset to this clan and your skills have not gone un-noticed,there are a number of members who also have valuable skills that are for the benefit of this clan.Maybe when you help someone next time you can maybe strike up an agreement should you wish to as I am sure people wouldnt mind knowing that you are one of our best custom pc guys and anywhere else this kind of assistance would be hard to find.

On a final note to those that read this,I do not want this to become a Drama as there is no need.

Dread I hope you are ok and I for one appreciate everything you have done to assist our members.

• Member ID:  432
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  86
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  658
  • Birthday:  07/26/1978

DREAD69 - Computer help

Well I am getting more and more request to work on computers and I am kinda getting bored. I tend to give advice for hardware settings and Overclocking a lot and it has been taking a lot of my time. I do crossloop and other remote desktop management services also and can have a computer up to it's potential in no time. It seems every time I turn arround I am getting these request. I don't mind working on computers but I need a way to make it more fresh or enjoyable. I have a select cuple of members that show there appreciation. They help me get a new game send me parts or a little paypall. I am posting here for some advice on how to make my time seem like it is worth something to me and not the guys getting free help. I do not want to come off the wrong way but I get the job done and then a lot of these people leave me hanging. I have members that even promised a paypall donation $5 $10 dollars. I work for 4-5 hours on the system and weeks later no paypall. I mean come on smoke one less pack of cigs and make somebody feel worth the work. I am not going to say names but you know who you are. This is not a recent developement so If I just  worked on your computer this is not nessasarly about you. Just looking for ideas. I have spent more hours working on computers then I game lately. If I have worked on a computer for you and you believe I have helped maybe a post in this thread would help others see what I am talking about or push them to do the right thing. I do not want to end up being an ass and not wanting to help anyone anymore. I also do not want to just start a fee because I would not do that with my brother or any other member of my family. This is like another family to me and there are lots of good people here. Just looking for help so don't post being negative plz.  :)

P.S. WiZiD I will make time to walk you threw your bios this weekend. Thanks for the Cmos Clear switch.

Dread69,

I've been a member of XI for a little less than 4 years, and although I don't know you (probably cause we play different games) I can't disagree with you at all.  There is nothing wrong with "donating" your time, AND there is nothing wrong with "charging" for your time either. The issue here (from my point of view) is what side of the line "donating your time" and "charging for your time" each person that asks you for help is on.  With an clan/guild/organization/family the size of XI (300+) you (nor anyone else in this world) can afford to "donate" countless hours of your time. There is a difference between a hobby and your line of work.  If your hobby is fixing computers then by all means donate all the time you want. But since it is the way you put food on the table and keep a roof over your head then there is nothing wrong with asking for a  little compensation for your time.

For example:

My line of work is vinyl graphics, I have done a few graphics for XI members for free and I have charged for some. But... in each case, when someone comes to me asking me for some graphics I evaluate the situation. Is this person a good friend of mine, is this person a member of XI, is this an outsider, everything comes into perspective and I make my decision based off of that. Granted, for those that are in XI that I do charge, I give them a less than retail price and I pick up the shipping.

But like I said, it is up to you to decide what side of the line an asking member is on.  How well do you know the person asking for help? Diagnose the situation, is their computer issue going to take 5 minutes or 5 hours?  Just like laywers, give a free consultation. If it's something you want to donate then let them know, likewise, if it's something that you think you should be compensated for then let them know before you do any work. A polite, "I'd be more than happy to help you out for a nominal fee of $x.xx".  Then I would ask for payment up front and give them a 100% money back guarantee.

Having select members promising $5-10 for 4-5 hours of work and then never giving you anything is a big bummer and I'm sorry to hear that.  Hell, thats less than minimum wage.

I respect you for ASKING FOR ADVICE here on the XI forums on what you should do and it pains me to see you getting flammed for asking for help, especially since you made it specifically clear in numerous places in your post that you were simply looking for advice and that you didn't want any negative posts. You came here asking for advice, you didn't come here demanding money (until your sarcastic follow up post :) )  You did nothing wrong Dread69 so don't feel bad and I stand behind you 100%

Awards

WOW !!!! I just watched your video in your sig.. I'm totally going to get me 2 more monitors now lol !!

P.S. I'll be contacting you on how to set it up, lol

Awards

Kemble

WOW !!!! I just watched your video in your sig.. I'm totally going to get me 2 more monitors now lol !!

P.S. I'll be contacting you on how to set it up, lol

TY my Xfire is dread696969

and thank you to any and all who understand what I was trying to say and my frustration here.

I apoligize for being an angry idiot. Wink

Caper

To be honest I have been with >XI< since it had only a few memebrs and not 1 person has asked for money.

Myself I have given 1000's of hours of my time over the years and feel that we are a family here and family does not charge for help..

If somone wants to make a donation or send you something I think that is great. If you can't do it for the sake of being helpfull taen maybe you should stop and find something that gives you that thrill again.  I have calcuated the time I spend on here and it would work out to about $1500 every 2 weeks for the past 6 years +.  I would never ever dream of asking for a penny.

(FAMILY)

ALOT OF YOU KNOW WHAT KILLA WOULD HAVE SAID..  I think it would have been simular :)

When you bring up a name of a loved one or friend that has passed it should be a joyfull ocasion. Not in an argument. I feel this is disrespectfull to me and him. R.I.P. (That stands for Rest In Peace.)

PEACE

• Member ID:  607
  • Followers:  75
  • Topic Count:  243
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3338
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Achievement Points:  33677
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  09/16/1966

I can understand what you are saying and agree with the majority of it. The people I am not happy with are the ones who say one thing and then do not follow up on it. Over the last few months I have asked for advice from some of our members and they have responded and helped me out and at the time I HAVE THANKED EVERYONE OF THEM because I really do apreiciate their help.

But I do not agree with the people who say they would make a donation or such and then never follow up that is wrong and is not the way to do things.....

On another note I really do understand the way you are feeling.. I have 2 step children who have the same problems no sorry gifts you have. One is AUTISTIC and takes everything that is said to him litterally as if it was law the second has ADHD, ADD. AND OCD and gets very frustrated when things do not happen his way or if people let him down. All i can say is Please just take a minuite to relax and chill with your girl leave the computer alone for a little while and things will be better I promise ...

Things always seem worse when you feel let down and used, just realise some people just do not understand that a promise is a promise to someone with ADHD or ADD there is no in between only black or white. So to them I say if you make a promise follow it through or just say THANK YOU its only 2 little words but it means a hell of a lot.......

• Member ID:  34
  • Followers:  47
  • Topic Count:  182
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2097
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  14880
  • Birthday:  04/29/1966

hey dread, i dont know you but i am sympathetic. Making yourself available to help is awesome,but i dont know if it's a requirement or some obligation. You are definitley free to choose who you help,how and why, as well as deciding that certain situations would require more than just some friendly in house assistance. Just make sure that either way you decide, you come out feelng as good if not better than you did going in. That's the point,whether offering some free assist or doing some laborous task that is damn well worth some recompense. Most people with a head on their shoulders should know what category their computer situation would fall into in regards to your services rendered. Just dont go dragging around some sense of guilt  or frustration for trying your best in a crappy time in America right now. Good luck and take care, maybe i'll see ya in ftag sometime....or if i pony up for some crysis action....

baldiemeat

I can understand what you are saying and agree with the majority of it. The people I am not happy with are the ones who say one thing and then do not follow up on it. Over the last few months I have asked for advice from some of our members and they have responded and helped me out and at the time I HAVE THANKED EVERYONE OF THEM because I really do apreiciate their help.

But I do not agree with the people who say they would make a donation or such and then never follow up that is wrong and is not the way to do things.....

On another note I really do understand the way you are feeling.. I have 2 step children who have the same problems no sorry gifts you have. One is AUTISTIC and takes everything that is said to him litterally as if it was law the second has ADHD, ADD. AND OCD and gets very frustrated when things do not happen his way or if people let him down. All i can say is Please just take a minuite to relax and chill with your girl leave the computer alone for a little while and things will be better I promise ...

Things always seem worse when you feel let down and used, just realise some people just do not understand that a promise is a promise to someone with ADHD or ADD there is no in between only black or white. So to them I say if you make a promise follow it through or just say THANK YOU its only 2 little words but it means a hell of a lot.......

TY for the post. My main thing is OCD and I am compelled to fix something I start. I feel that some people take advantage of that and even offer little things because they will get a lot back. I am still a grown man but I do have vices and problems like everyone else. sorry but that did make me laff (things will be better I promise ...) LMAO and I do thank you for your post but it is not that bad. I'm not crying myself to sleep over it if ya know what I mean. :) Just using the fourms to get ideas from fellow idiots.

Another suggestion might be to talk to Rugger about the new advertising rates he has for the XI forums.  Then.... the next person who asks for your help, see if they can pay Rugger for a months worth of advertising for you for your services.  Then any additional work you get from the advertisement is pure profit and (like an opt-in newsletter) will be people fully expecting you to charge them for your skills.  This not only helps you, but it also helps the XI site for the "paid advertisement".

Awards

Kemble

Another suggestion might be to talk to Rugger about the new advertising rates he has for the XI forums.  Then.... the next person who asks for your help, see if they can pay Rugger for a months worth of advertising for you for your services.  Then any additional work you get from the advertisement is pure profit and (like an opt-in newsletter) will be people fully expecting you to charge them for your skills.  This not only helps you, but it also helps the XI site for the "paid advertisement".

TY you have had two verry sound peaces of advice. I mean that. I came here for someone like Kemble to do just what he did and for my friends to come and make me feel better about my time spent online helping.

RickJames

We still got to get your NB up some time twards 2600 2800 MHz and you will see a huge preformance increase.

Remember that the CPU/NB voltage is the only voltage to stablize your NB (not NB voltage that will leave ya hot and bothered every time) Tongue out

To those that might be wondering here is a shot of my computer. DSC01550.JPG

• Member ID:  804
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  446
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  3600
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Achievement Points:  24386
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  04/25/1960

Dread69, I know just how you feel. When someone gives you their word then THEY sould follow through with it. I am a man of my word and firmly believe, that IS what defines you as a person. I have lost so many friends over $15 it makes me sick. I fix computers as well and as a friend or just a good guy I only charge $10-$20 for a $90 job. Mainly because its a hobby and also because I do not want to pay taxes on it. BUT and this is a big BUT ....if someone tells me they dont have the money to pay and will come back next week with the money I DO NOT want to have to chase them down for it and I should not have too. I have loss a few long time friends over this. I no longer speak to them and if they attempt to bring their computer back(which they have not) I will just send them elsewhere. Now they can pay that $90/$100 to get their computer running again.....see how they like that. I think their computer will be broke for a long time...LoL

The thing of it is that every one seems to be struggleing. Its tough out there for you and everyone so by all means as if you need to ask for a little compansation for your time do not be affraid to ask. They can say sure or they can't but either way get it in writing as this is how I staighten the problems I had with people not paying. They get a bill and if theres no money well there aint no PC. Like the computer I have sitting under my bench that has been there for over 4 months. This FRIEND of 8 years promised to pay but you know what its still here. And I dished out $160 of my money for parts.

Another suggestion would be to have them send money to your paypal account and after the money hits your account make an appointment to work on their PC and donate some of the money yourself to XI and post that your donation was part from your help to such-an-such.

The best advice I can give is just to let it go, dont worry if someone does not follow through with their word. They just really showed you who and what they really are. And it will come back to them. Carma is a bitch.

In life I have learned that you get what you pay for. You get back from life what you give and forgiveness is a inner pease that calms the soul. I hope you can find that.

So FORGIVE just dont forget.

• Member ID:  1071
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  879
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Achievement Points:  5414
  • Birthday:  12/29/1974

i don't know much about computers untill i met dread! he has taken me under his wing.i have learned alot from him just like alot of you have! shit check out the wip i got now! google dreaddownload! you will SEE!                don't blame ya!Cool

kswift420

i don't know much about computers untill i met dread! he has taken me under his wing.i have learned alot from him just like alot of you have! shit check out the wip i got now! google dreaddownload! you will SEE!                don't blame ya!Cool

TY Swift and the link to your computer is here.

http://dreaddownloads.com/index.php?p=1_8_Kswift-XI-Build

Your  gonna love this quad core Phenom II X4 955 at 4GHz soon too !

Not bad for $100 bucks eh a Quad core garenteed Prime 95 stable at 4GHz !

We just got to get ya mobo bios updated or the new mobo we were talking about for the support for the CPU. You will love this DDR3 1600 when we get you the new mobo.

You click the pick here to see your computer also. DSC01489.JPG

• Member ID:  34
  • Followers:  47
  • Topic Count:  182
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2097
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  14880
  • Birthday:  04/29/1966

here's another idea. If some of the stuff you do is standard stuff, perhaps a pre payment of a flat fee would ensure good feelings all the way around and protect you from feeling taken advantage of, and preserve the relationship(personal,proffessional or both). I would imagine that some of the stuff you do is routine, so maybe this''ll help.