Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Surely It's Not Just Me Who's Had Enough Of This Story...

HarryWeezer

• Member ID:  20166
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  40
  • Topic Count:  611
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  7652
  • Content Per Day:  1.98
  • Achievement Points:  53663
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  10/16/1946
  • Device:  Windows

What happened in the theater in Colorado was beyond horrible and we all sympathize with the families of the innocents murdered by a deranged gunman. What a shame someone in the audience wasn't armed.

But I cringed at this story last Friday morning for another reason. It meant that I would have to shut down my access to news for the next several days - or longer. I'm a news junkie and need my daily fix but I cannot stomach TV news when an event such as this goes down.

You know in five minutes all you need to know about what happened. And anything new to the story takes but a minute or two to report. Yet, we are subjected to the same thing, the same reporting, the same images, the same video, the same story, over and over and over and over again, hour after hour, day after day, ad naseum.

It's always the same approach. Once the basic facts are reported, the news outlets turn to the so-called "human" side of the story. They interview people who almost got shot. They ask them how it "felt" looking down the end of a rifle - how the fuck do they think it felt?

Then they start digging into the personal lives of the victims - people we don't know - and by so doing they intrude on the horrible suffering these families are trying to cope with and bradcast that crap every hour of the day. They apparently think we want to know the stories of these victims. I don't want to know their story, any more than I want to know the story of the hundreds of other daily victims of senseless crime.

It's three days later and here are today's headlines:

- Obama: "Words are... inadequate."

- Tributes to the victims

- Survivor: Suspect's boot at my head

- Suspect a study in contrasts.

- Daughter: Is daddy still going to come?

- Suspect spooked gun range manager

- I didn't think we would get out alive

- Suspect silent as he heads to court

- Shooter took Vicodin before attack

- 13-year-old tried to save life of 6-year-old

- Batman items found in suspect's home.

Give me a freakin' break and STFU already. I don't wish to appear heartless - matter of fact, I'm anything but. But just tell me what happened and then get on with what else is going on in the world.

Or maybe it's just me...??

• Member ID:  842
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  62
  • Topic Count:  278
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3712
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Achievement Points:  28451
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  05/04/1965

In my opinion it also adds to the the noteriety of the shooter which is what he was looking for to begin with...it also glamorizes it so that other sick minded individuals figure that they can climb to fame too....

Let the families grieve in peace....

• Member ID:  19
  • Followers:  101
  • Topic Count:  318
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4444
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Achievement Points:  29399
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  02/29/1968
  • Device:  iPhone

It's not just you, Harry. It's one thing to be saddened and horrified at what happened. To report it, or listen to the report about it, and move on. It's another to sensationalize it to no end, which only feeds our ever growing sociopathic society.

I don't even watch TV news any longer. At least on the internet, I can pick and choose the news that I want to see.

• Member ID:  252
  • Group:  +++ COD2 Head Admin
  • Followers:  71
  • Topic Count:  392
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  6418
  • Content Per Day:  1.20
  • Achievement Points:  54344
  • Days Won:  30
  • Birthday:  03/22/1965

Me as well....This is whats wrong today that give criminals to much fame....Then you have repeaters or out doiers

• Member ID:  35
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  345
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4812
  • Content Per Day:  0.90
  • Achievement Points:  28063
  • Days Won:  2

HAte to say it thats the news and no matter what it is sad or not They will run the story to the ground from every different angle (and some you didnt know from) Till the next big thing comes up. Been this way for long time and wont change....................

• Member ID:  853
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  226
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  646
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  5685
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/25/1988

I agree 100%

news companies don't care about anything or anyone but how many viewers they get.

• Member ID:  907
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2731
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Achievement Points:  26177
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  02/10/1969

This is the problem with advertising supported cable news networks.

• Member ID:  3560
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  38
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  384
  • Birthday:  11/25/1962

This I know for fact , we don't have a President ........... due too his birth certificate being a fraud ....... along with the so called killing of { someone we couldnt find dumb fuck} just so the people would think OOOOOOOOOOOOOO { he's our man obama } we forget that in this country, anybody can be president as long as you lie, and buy Hawaii off for whatever reason's , just like 911 Iraq didnt want war........................... 3 people in this country did,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, check this out.......Nazi solder's murdered 6 million Jew's in europe and took their possessions and home's................. American and European's murder 100 million Natives and took their land and natural resource's ..................... Don't give me this crap that they were just doing their job!!!!!!! ........This is called mass genocide. ... Native's experienced the American Holocaust .............. Any question's ....................... and if I would have been there at the theatre.................. why hell I would have called the FBI and asked for the one's that were at Ruby Ridge and Waco. "Fucking pussy's is what they were".............. I'm sure they would have killed a mother holding her baby and at least 100 kid's ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, MY morals are not society......... MINE are the animal moral's....................... Fuck with my family or the weak.......... and I'll bring down a justice that would make you crawl up your own ass, and wish you were shit............. just try and take my weapon's cause I'll send junior home in what I call dragging em by the hair at 90mph on interstate face down and then I will start to think what's next on the agenda for them .... My state put a governor that started his crusade on raping ... killing the witness...raping kid's at the school prison... having coke party's with the female prisoner's, killing a family man while he drunk driving and ran a stop sign .... and the people who voted him in ..... think he's a god ........... Im tired of people who are so weak minded that they can actually believe this shit......................... If clinton would have just said " ya I had sex with some tramp besides his wife ............ i would have respected him... who could have blamed him being married to it

Awards

• Member ID:  92
  • Followers:  42
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  2241
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Achievement Points:  13358
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/09/1977

As many Americans don't have life insurance, as they can't afford it (understandably). I can unfortunately understand and relate to the mentality. Trust me when I say this, as I have been in a similar situation. The media want to make money, and with all due respect, so do people, even with loss. The media pay crazy amounts of money for exclusive interviews to those who have lost.

I was unfortunate enough to find my best friend and his family murdered by his father (which is all I which to reveal). I was 8 years old. It was a media frenzy at the time, and for some 3 months afterwards. Money was offered left, right and center to my parents, and I can even remember that part, let alone the rest. We did take it based on lawyers and Police recommendation, as we would be hounded even longer.

I don't think anyone is suggesting the fault is with any of the victims, Cavey, or even their appearance in the news long after the "facts" have been divulged to the general population. I think the fault people are finding is with the news media in the first place. Certainly, any tragedy like this is going to incur associated costs - for both those physically wounded and those who might just be psychologically scarred, and those people should get compensation if they can to alleviate their pain and agony. And if they can do it on the back of the media, so be it.

One thing is for sure, the cable news networks are advertiser supported, and advertisers pay for advertising based on viewership. So the simple answer is if you don't like it, don't watch it, and maybe enough people will share your sentiment that they will either change their programming or (better yet) fall by the wayside. If no one is watching, CNN has no reason to spend money being on air.

• Member ID:  3066
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  122
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  1096
  • Birthday:  10/08/1974

In my opinion it also adds to the the noteriety of the shooter which is what he was looking for to begin with...it also glamorizes it so that other sick minded individuals figure that they can climb to fame too....

I agree totaly by going on about the story which the media will do will only add to the killers noteriety. somewhere in the process of the media explortation this will go from being a tragic and horiable event to a means of selling newspapers and getting more viewers. The news media will say that they are doing this because people have a right to know but you would be a fool to believe that the news media has peoples interest in mind their main goal will be simply to sell more news papers and get the largest viewing audience they can. and I have to ask myself how much longer before the next horrific event takes place because someone wants to garnish the same attention. preety scary.

cheers

• Member ID:  92
  • Followers:  42
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  2241
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Achievement Points:  13358
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/09/1977

I don't think anyone is suggesting the fault is with any of the victims, Cavey, or even their appearance in the news long after the "facts" have been divulged to the general population. I think the fault people are finding is with the news media in the first place. Certainly, any tragedy like this is going to incur associated costs - for both those physically wounded and those who might just be psychologically scarred, and those people should get compensation if they can to alleviate their pain and agony. And if they can do it on the back of the media, so be it.

One thing is for sure, the cable news networks are advertiser supported, and advertisers pay for advertising based on viewership. So the simple answer is if you don't like it, don't watch it, and maybe enough people will share your sentiment that they will either change their programming or (better yet) fall by the wayside. If no one is watching, CNN has no reason to spend money being on air.

I couldn't agree more. Though I I truly hate those people who falsely try to make money. Like those people somewhere in America who pretended their son was stuck in a balloon.

• Member ID:  96
  • Group:  ** Registered Users
  • Followers:  107
  • Topic Count:  1048
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  8812
  • Content Per Day:  1.64
  • Achievement Points:  62176
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  06/30/1954

Yes and don't call me Shirley. LOL

I agree totaly by going on about the story which the media will do will only add to the killers noteriety. somewhere in the process of the media explortation this will go from being a tragic and horiable event to a means of selling newspapers and getting more viewers. The news media will say that they are doing this because people have a right to know but you would be a fool to believe that the news media has peoples interest in mind their main goal will be simply to sell more news papers and get the largest viewing audience they can. and I have to ask myself how much longer before the next horrific event takes place because someone wants to garnish the same attention. preety scary.

cheers

No doubt - hell, Klebold and Harris are practically household names due to the media coverage of Littleton.

• Member ID:  489
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  51
  • Topic Count:  548
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  4671
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Achievement Points:  41078
  • Days Won:  14
  • Birthday:  01/09/1963
  • Device:  Kindle Fire

No Harry, not just you. The whole world knows that six year old Veronica Moser-Sullivan has died. Except her mother. That's something the media should never have got hold of. Makes me downright ill.