Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Spawn Tripwires

Joe Canadian

• Member ID:  822
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  87
  • Topic Count:  317
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5477
  • Content Per Day:  1.03
  • Achievement Points:  42632
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  20
  • Birthday:  03/01/1967
  • Device:  Windows

I would like to know what is the specific rule regarding spawn tripwiring. I don't mind trip wires, and couldn't care less about my ratios, but it really bothers me when I spawn, take half a step and blow up. I remember when I first started playing here, receiving a verbal warning from an adm, who got really pissed because he though I was putting trips in spawn areas, which I wasn't because I hardly knew where the spawn areas were. Is there a way to change the game setting to prevent this from happening? Is it possible to set a minimum distance from spawn points for "legal" tripwires?

Thanks

• Member ID:  174
  • Group:  +++ COD2 Head Admin
  • Followers:  129
  • Topic Count:  387
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  14895
  • Content Per Day:  2.76
  • Achievement Points:  91164
  • Days Won:  52
  • Birthday:  04/23/1970
  • Device:  iPhone

As far as I can recall... All the servers in the COD2 Mod have tripwire protection.. You can test this yourself, It will not allow you to set a tripwire on a spawn point. Prior to the change in mod after the closer of the old Area 51 server, there was no spawn protection from trip or mines... So yes Joe, the admins were more active then.

Edited by PimpedOutPete

Not sure about that one Pete, I will have to test it myself, but it has been happening a lot lately. It also confuses me that some tripwires are "jumpable", others aren't.

• Member ID:  1194
  • Followers:  40
  • Topic Count:  436
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  6692
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  53094
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  04/15/1960

There is a mod in place that prevents you from placing a trip precisely on a spawn point. But on some maps that protection area might be just inches away from where you spawned and the distance varies from map to map. Some fuckers (who shall remain nameless) are very good at placing trips exactly at the edge of the protection zone and your ass gets blown up the second you take one step off of the spawn point. I (and most others) consider these spawn trips and frown upon the practice. Those same "nameless" players will also place trips on the only exit from a spawn area within a room or enclosed area, which is also considered a spawn trip and greatly frowned upon.

Once you take more than a couple steps away from a spawn point you are fair game, and trips entering or exiting portals is perfectly fine too. Trips and mines are one of my favorite ways to kill people, especially when I put them in places where people love to camp and where they least expect them.

I just tested it twice, it will not allow you to plant a trip immediately after you spawn, but if you take 10 steps, come back and wait for a bit it allows you to set the trip pretty darn close, (1 step behind or next to) to the spawn area, Its just a matter of patience and finding the right spot.

There is a mod in place that prevents you from placing a trip precisely on a spawn point. But on some maps that protection area might be just inches away from where you spawned and the distance varies from map to map. Some fuckers (who shall remain nameless) are very good at placing trips exactly at the edge of the protection zone and your ass gets blown up the second you take one step off of the spawn point. I (and most others) consider these spawn trips and frown upon the practice. Those same "nameless" players will also place trips on the only exit from a spawn area within a room or enclosed area, which is also considered a spawn trip and greatly frowned upon.

Once you take more than a couple steps away from a spawn point you are fair game, and trips entering or exiting portals is perfectly fine too. Trips and mines are one of my favorite ways to kill people, especially when I put them in places where people love to camp and where they least expect them.

Yeah, I won't mention names either. I am not really interested in creating trouble because I love it here, but it is doable. I just tested it several times myself. I agree, two steps is fair game but half a step? I just want to make it perfectly clear that I don't have anything against tripwires or mines...

Edited by Joe Canadian

Tripping rooms which are spawn points with one exit is considered a fopaux... and should be discouraged. Now I can see that the practice of setting trips near spawn points seem frustrating to some, specially for the players who run like their pants are on fire without a care... but this is the reality of the game. Its no more frustrating than someone dropping a nade when they spawn on the spawn point. just for the next to get it when they spawn.

All I can recommend is what your step... There is plenty of dog shit out there... lol

A fopaux? So somebody that does it once should know better than to do it again?

505fe37deace6_1.png

505fe38ecd9ec_2.png

505fe39f8d395_3.png

505fe3aea5f7a_4.png

505fe3be97f61_5.png

Just tested this on the tuboff map. The first shot is the spawn point, I walked forward and then came back to the spawn area. If the 4th and 5th screenshots, it would not allow me to set the trip at first but then I moved a bit, and it worked. Whatever, cheers

Joe

• Member ID:  1387
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2540
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  19552
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  06/05/1968

Most Of The Time Players Won't Trip Both Exits From or To A Spawn Area. Doing Them Both Should Be Discouraged.

A fopaux? So somebody that does it once should know better than to do it again?

That's our job to remind them, when it comes to tripping one way exits.

Tripping rooms which are spawn points with one exit is considered a fopaux... and should be discouraged. Now I can see that the practice of setting trips near spawn points seem frustrating to some, specially for the players who run like their pants are on fire without a care... but this is the reality of the game. Its no more frustrating than someone dropping a nade when they spawn on the spawn point. just for the next to get it when they spawn.

All I can recommend is what your step... There is plenty of dog shit out there... lol

I don't drop my nades when I spawn or throw them to the spawn point, but there's a slight difference anyway. If somebody sets a trip half a step away from the spawn point, the kill is guaranteed. I like to gun and run and I hit many tripwires along the way, which is fine. What I'm taking bout is taking half a step and blowing up.... its slightly different imho...

Joe the spawn points aren't an exact circle around any spawn point. I just tested it as well, and if I lay down exactly where I spawned, naturally it won't allow it. If I belly crawl an inch in one direction it allows a trip, but if I belly crawl several feet in a different direction it still won't let me. Not sure how the limits are set, but obviously some people test those limits regularly.

Sparty, agreed it should be discouraged but some don't seem to get the message.

Joe the spawn points aren't an exact circle around any spawn point. I just tested it as well, and if I lay down exactly where I spawned, naturally it won't allow it. If I belly crawl an inch in one direction it allows a trip, but if I belly crawl several feet in a different direction it still won't let me. Not sure how the limits are set, but obviously some people test those limits regularly.

That's exactly my point LOM, cheers

I don't drop my nades when I spawn or throw them to the spawn point, but there's a slight difference anyway. If somebody sets a trip half a step away from the spawn point, the kill is guaranteed. I like to gun and run and I hit many tripwires along the way, which is fine. What I'm taking bout is taking half a step and blowing up.... its slightly different imho...

As I stated before, there is a spawn protection for trips and mines, and it's more than a step or two.

If that's the case, ban them! Burn them and ban them all!!!! Lol

• Member ID:  51
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Followers:  51
  • Topic Count:  342
  • Content Count:  5974
  • Content Per Day:  1.11
  • Achievement Points:  45818
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/26/1949

Tripping the only exit from a spawn point is not allowed period...Give one warning then kick...As far as tripping spawn points goes the built in spawn protection is what we have to go by...It's not perfect but it is what it is... :) :)

Awards

Tripping the only exit from a spawn point is not allowed period...Give one warning then kick...As far as tripping spawn points goes the built in spawn protection is what we have to go by...It's not perfect but it is what it is... :) :)

I agree Bart...

As I stated before, there is a spawn protection for trips and mines, and it's more than a step or two.

I guess we will agree to disagree, there might be one but is not flawless. I did blow up several times tonight after spawning, and when I say half a step or a step that's exactly what I mean. Not sure why you get so defensive Pete. I didn't have you in mind when I posted this, you weren't even playing on this map in particular... but not big deal anyway.

• Member ID:  252
  • Followers:  71
  • Topic Count:  392
  • Content Count:  6420
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Achievement Points:  54365
  • Days Won:  30
  • Birthday:  03/22/1965

Im a tripaholic love to watch ur dresses fly over ur ugly heads....Tripping spawns at spawns does accur but if u have options while leaving the spawn area its ur call left or right....Im not a spawn trip artist rather trip where u dont expect to have ur mudflaps hit the sides of ur heads in the open....I love to watch LOM fly with his wanker fluttering in the wind behind him.....Most who play know where I set them nd still hit them....If it becomes a BIG problem may I suggest duct tape it works on damn near everything hell if it were not for that LOM would never get layed......Joe if nd when ur in game nd u feel a spawn point has been tripped ask who ever to please not trip there again most times people will do so....I may be guilty myself on some maps so please bring it to the tripsters attention

Love Kisses and burnt mudflaps

loADER>XI<

I guess we will agree to disagree, there might be one but is not flawless. I did blow up several times tonight after spawning, and when I say half a step or a step that's exactly what I mean. Not sure why you get so defensive Pete. I didn't have you in mind when I posted this, you weren't even playing on this map in particular... but not big deal anyway.

I can totally understand your frustration Joe, for It happens to myself as well. As an admin, Im just reluctant to go down that path that leads us to micro managing the game. The one thing as an admin team we can do is make sure that players don't set trips or mines on one way exits on spawn points.

• Member ID:  6
  • Group:  ++++ Senior Admin
  • Followers:  184
  • Topic Count:  2827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.52
  • Content Count:  11913
  • Content Per Day:  2.21
  • Achievement Points:  106596
  • Days Won:  124
  • Birthday:  08/25/1976

When we turned off the spawn protection, this was wanted by the players that played on the server, that took away the safety from the tripwires on spawn points. Isn't there the ability to defuse tripwires?

Maybe turn back on spawn protection for a couple secs to get out of spawn.

There is Rugger, anyone can defuse trips or mines. I for one would like the servers to remain as they are. Things for the most part are working well and traffic has been good and consistent.. No need to tinker so to speak.

• Member ID:  171
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  51
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1487
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Achievement Points:  8690
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/05/1970

I tend to tripwire stairways.....Always a fav of mine! :smoke:

I tend to tripwire stairways.....Always a fav of mine! :smoke:

What's that?.. Did u say something.. I'm sorry, I was distracted by the jirating of your sig WhiteBoy... Lol