Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Any comments on my New build B4 I open it all up?

Mule

• Member ID:  390
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  4251
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Achievement Points:  35625
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  05/08/1959
  • Device:  Windows

Have to wait for case from Newegg total $1593.89!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Member ID:  5459
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  494
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  3501
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/03/1994

Sweet build but no videocard?

• Member ID:  20499
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  49
  • Topic Count:  103
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  351
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  6884
  • Birthday:  01/09/1977

i hate u black !!!!!!!! :)

• Member ID:  5459
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  494
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  3501
  • Birthday:  10/03/1994

i hate u black !!!!!!!! :)

I know Moron I love me too but why do you love me so much? :P

• Member ID:  800
  • Followers:  152
  • Topic Count:  136
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6960
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Achievement Points:  58395
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  05/29/1957

Sweet build but no videocard?

I have 2 GTX 680's

• Member ID:  25938
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  1493
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Achievement Points:  13299
  • Birthday:  08/08/1961

It's going to be a butt-kicker!! I have a older version of the mobo, cpu and same cooler. Asus mobo will auto overclock for you...Pretty sweet!

jn

• Member ID:  3189
  • Followers:  94
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  5234
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Achievement Points:  48754
  • Days Won:  112
  • Birthday:  12/24/1957

Nice. 

I hope you're not planning to put your OS on that SSD, though.  IMHO, that's a mistake.  I'd reserve the SSD for high disk bandwidth games and/or programs. 

I'd also have doubled the HDs and use one as a backup drive.

If your games all support SLI, I guess 2 680s are okay.  Seems to me SLI is more trouble than it's worth.  Especially since its "worth" is the cost of 2 cards instead of maybe 3/4 the price of both for a single higher end card and no compatibility issues or concerns over power consumption, heat, etc.

Again, just MHO.  Your mileage may vary, and that looks to be a kick-butt system!  :)

Nice. 

I hope you're not planning to put your OS on that SSD, though.  IMHO, that's a mistake.  I'd reserve the SSD for high disk bandwidth games and/or programs. 

I'd also have doubled the HDs and use one as a backup drive.

If your games all support SLI, I guess 2 680s are okay.  Seems to me SLI is more trouble than it's worth.  Especially since its "worth" is the cost of 2 cards instead of maybe 3/4 the price of both for a single higher end card and no compatibility issues or concerns over power consumption, heat, etc.

Again, just MHO.  Your mileage may vary, and that looks to be a kick-butt system!  :)

What do you mean by this not to use it for OS/? I thought that what they were for?

• Member ID:  51
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Followers:  51
  • Topic Count:  342
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5974
  • Content Per Day:  1.11
  • Achievement Points:  45818
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/26/1949

What do you mean by this not to use it for OS/? I thought that what they were for?

I'm also confused by his statement... :) :)

Awards

• Member ID:  25938
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  1493
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Achievement Points:  13299
  • Birthday:  08/08/1961

You will benifit more from having your games on a SSD, OS will take about 40 - 55 gig of disk space. If you boot often it will save you time, but if you boot once a day...install the OS on the 7200 drive and save the space on your SSD, you will see your games load much much faster.

jn

You will benifit more from having your games on a SSD, OS will take about 40 - 55 gig of disk space. If you boot often it will save you time, but if you boot once a day...install the OS on the 7200 drive and save the space on your SSD, you will see your games load much much faster.

jn

This is from djMot_______________I think a lot of people focus on the time it takes to boot a computer, and so they conclude that an SSD would be the best solution to get their computer to boot as fast as possible. In my opinion, there are two flaws in that logic.

1) The time it takes to boot a computer is experienced far less than, say, restarting a crashed game for instance. Windows 8.1 includes significant performance enhancements to its hibernate mode. On my computer, also a Windows 8.1 computer, when I press my power button, the computer hibernates. When I move my mouse, the computer wakes up from hibernation. When a Windows 8.1 computer wakes from hibernation, the computer goes through its POST just as it would when powering up during a cold boot, and then Windows is restored by a) re-initializing all drivers, and  B)restoring the state of all running programs from a memory image file stored on the hard disk. This happens in a fraction of the time it would otherwise take the computer to boot cold. And, unlike starting from cold, the computer is restored to the state in which you left it when you entered hibernation. Because coming out of hibernation is so fast, I rarely take my computer to full shutdown, thereby avoiding the long start time from a cold boot. It's not as fast as a boot from an SSD, but it's way faster than a cold boot. And – again, this is the key point – I feel it is a misguided concern to place emphasis on speedy boot time, when a more important consideration is how fast programs start that you use frequently throughout the day. Windows boots maybe once a day, but you go in and out of other programs all day long.

2) people who install an SSD as the boot device immediately find that it is very problematic to get Windows to alter its normal behavior to accommodate better space management. In particular, to tell it to use another device to store certain files. Windows wants to use certain locations for certain files. Worse, certain programs won't even give you the option. A good example of the latter is Call of Duty 5 – World at War which can only use the user's AppData folder to store map files. These map files are quite large, and with as many maps as are available for COD5, many gigabytes of data are quickly consumed. What I hear from people who have set up an SSD boot drive is that they quite quickly end up in a space crisis. As I recall, your configuration calls for a 250GB SSD, or in other words .25TB and I think it will be a challenge for you to manage space on a boot SSD that small. I'm not saying it's impossible to relocate the AppData folder, or tell Windows were to store your user files, but Windows was not written in such a way as to make that an easy process, and I've heard more horror stories from people who have attempted it than success stories. Just be aware that you may end up frustrated that your space is being unexpectedly consumed by files whose placement you have no control over. Microsoft needs to work on optimizing these kinds of things specifically for for SSD installations. Until then, or until they start making 2TB SSD drives at the same price point as a mechanical drive, I personally would not install Windows on an SSD drive.  On the other hand, installing Windows on a regular hard drive, and installing just the programs and data you need fast access to on the SSD, seems to be a far easier, and less problematic strategy.

I do not own an SSD, so you may ultimately decide that I'm just blowing smoke up your butt here. That said, I do hope one day to purchase an SSD for my computer. But I will not install it as a boot device, but rather as a place to store programs and games that I want fast access to. I don't mind waiting for my computer to come out of hibernation because that happens so fast, nor do I mind waiting for the occasional cold boot since that's more the exception than the rule for me.

Good luck with the new computer! Great motherboard; great processor. I think you're going to get a lot of awesome performance out of that machine.