Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Major CIs happening frequently

Ruthless

• Member ID:  1155
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1796
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  10/16/1976
  • Device:  Windows

For the past week, CIs that last a minute or two have been happening very frequently. At least once or twice every round and they can last minutes. I know others have been experiencing similar problems (at least they say they are). I've noticed that during these times my ping is fluctuating, but not always by a lot. Sometimes, it floats in the mid 100s, sometimes it will spike much higher. It is not consistent and I have felt the CIs when my ping was low 100s like it normally is (usually 105 - 110).  

I can record some of these to prove they are happening because I get a lot of flak when I whine about them - I know it is funny to see me struggle. I disconnected my mike for a until this stuff clears up so that no one has to hear about it. Imagine how frustrating it is for me to be playing well, running to their spawn, and then continuously dying because it feels like you are teleporting around and stuff is not where it is supposed to be. I have even started sniping a few maps because I cannot run-and-gun with these issues. I know a few admins have seen me lagging out visibly in game.

I'll continue to look at my own home network but none of my kids seem to be experiencing any problems at the same time I am. Assuming the others are not bull-shitting, it seems to be happening to more than just me. 

• Member ID:  561
  • Group:  ++++ Senior Admin
  • Followers:  84
  • Topic Count:  502
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  5333
  • Content Per Day:  1.01
  • Achievement Points:  41334
  • Days Won:  29
  • Birthday:  04/06/1992
  • Device:  Android

From what you have said it sounds like it is not a server issue as they would affect all players at/for the same time. 

You mention other players having similar issues - are they happening all at/for the same time and if so is it a common subset of players on the server? Most commonly this is a regional node/routing issue. These are outside our control as could be with any number of companies involved from your ISP to our host.

A diagnostic measure that you can use is to run a trace route (tracert) command from the Windows command prompt when the issue is occurring and post the results here.

• Member ID:  20683
  • Group:  ++ COD4 Admin
  • Followers:  138
  • Topic Count:  309
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  3344
  • Content Per Day:  0.89
  • Achievement Points:  45173
  • Days Won:  22
  • Device:  iPhone

I agree with @Sitting-Duc but I'd add you might want to use mtr as a tool to see what is happening and where packet loss may be: 

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/27780

• Member ID:  1155
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1796
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  10/16/1976
  • Device:  Windows

FOLLOW-UP: Pretty certain the problem is on my side. Rather, on my ISPs. Another player from the same region (PNW) uses Comcast and he has been having similar problems. 

I was doing "tracert 162.248.95.178 >> text.txt" in game when I was starting to lag and found that many times in the middle of the routes I was getting time outs. They seemed to all be happening Comcast jumps so I'll get with my ISP and talk to them. Hopefully, they fix this if they are getting congested on their backbone routers or something. 

Edited by Ruthless

• Member ID:  561
  • Group:  ++++ Senior Admin
  • Followers:  84
  • Topic Count:  502
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  5333
  • Content Per Day:  1.01
  • Achievement Points:  41334
  • Days Won:  29
  • Birthday:  04/06/1992
  • Device:  Android

7 hours ago, Ruthless said:

FOLLOW-UP: Pretty certain the problem is on my side. Rather, on my ISPs. Another player from the same region (PNW) uses Comcast and he has been having similar problems. 

I was doing "tracert 162.248.95.178 >> text.txt" in game when I was starting to lag and found that many times in the middle of the routes I was getting time outs. They seemed to all be happening Comcast jumps so I'll get with my ISP and talk to them. Hopefully, they fix this if they are getting congested on their backbone routers or something. 

Glad you got it figured out 🙂 

• Member ID:  3139
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  2052
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Achievement Points:  16789
  • Days Won:  18
  • Birthday:  04/20/1984