Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

My new SandyBridge setup build logz...

CplMOFO

• Member ID:  1924
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1012
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Achievement Points:  5864
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/30/1973

Howdy,

Finally pulled the trigger on new parts!

I will keep you posted with the info, results and a few pics, just trying to be informative and even be helpful for some if needed.

Parts  ordered:

-Intel Sandybridge 2500K (This K means UNLOCKED, so it overclocks...the non-K are going up two speed bins only) Overclockable CPUs are overclockable only on P67-series motherboards...

-ASUS P8P67 DELUXE B3 REV.  (The B3 means revised P67 chipset, without the SATA2 controller bug)

-2 X 4GB kit of Gskill RIPJAWZ X 1333mhz 1.5V (good and cheap, 1.5V is prefered for SandyBridge's imbedded memory controller)

-Noctua NH-U12P Dual 120 mm CPU Aftermarket cooler

Goal:

-A Stable 4.6GHz overclock. I'll test the ground, see how high it can go (luck of the draw). Apparently the B1 Stepping chips are overclocking better/reaching higher clocks...I mean you're golden if you get a 5.0GHz-capable chip (stable, temps in check and without using insanely high voltages)

-Most SB "K-series" processors will reach a "walk-in-the-park" 4.2GHZ to 4.4GHZ

-A strong % of chips will get up to 4.4GHz to 4.7GHz

-About 5% or chips are "golden" and will reach the Mythical 5.0GHz clock speed...

-I'm planning to stop before  reaching 1.4V Vcore and 70 Celsius... find the highest stable clock without mentioned limits...then back down one step, to stay "comfy"...

Updates will follow as I go...I'm planning to grab one or two GFX cards to ride along with that OCed CPU...

Looking at Dual GTX560Ti, Dual HD6950 or dual GTX570, or a single GTX580...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  68
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2709
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Achievement Points:  14854
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/13/1969

cant wait for the results...

maybe I would have ordered different RAM but thats just me...I am working a lot with video editing and my Gskill 2000 mhz rocks

but for sure you will be able to OC this one

the Noctua cooler is at the same level like my Prolimatec Megahalems...

good luck with the CPU Smile

• Member ID:  19
  • Followers:  101
  • Topic Count:  318
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4444
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Achievement Points:  29399
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  02/29/1968
  • Device:  iPhone

Go for it man!!!!!

Keep us informed. I did a lot of reading on Sandy.. and almost delayed my build to incorporate one. I'm pretty satisfied with what I did, but if you are one of the lucky ones who get the chip that pushes 5GHz stable.. you really luck out.

For my 2 cents.. go Nvidia on graphics. I'm fairly satisfied with the two 5870's I'm using, but if I had it to do over I would go with dual GTX's. Don't get me wrong, I have great graphics.. but I have used Nvidia on all previous builds, and I'm not impressed enough with ATI to ever do it again.

Good Luck, happy OC'ing!!!

PT-Bama

For my 2 cents.. go Nvidia on graphics. I'm fairly satisfied with the two 5870's I'm using, but if I had it to do over I would go with dual GTX's. Don't get me wrong, I have great graphics.. but I have used Nvidia on all previous builds, and I'm not impressed enough with ATI to ever do it again.

come on Bama...you bought  1 year old cards for a real nice price...I have followed your posts for sure ;)

you beat a dual 560 GTX and a single 580 with your setup....

NightmareXI
PT-Bama

come on Bama...you bought  1 year old cards for a real nice price...I have followed your posts for sure ;)

you beat a dual 560 GTX and a single 580 with your setup....

Maybe you and I should talk.. the issue I am having may be my cheap ass LCD. I don't wanna grunge up CplMoFo's post any more, so I'll shoot you a PM.

... Carry on with the SandyBridge goodness!!!!

• Member ID:  221
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1864
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Achievement Points:  12302
  • Birthday:  06/10/1967
  • Device:  Windows

let us know how it goes my son i getting readyu to build a sandy bridge.

• Member ID:  51
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Followers:  51
  • Topic Count:  342
  • Content Count:  5974
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Achievement Points:  45818
  • Birthday:  06/26/1949

Just curious why you chose the 2500 over the 2600 ?...SmileSmile

Awards

• Member ID:  1923
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  234
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  1722
  • Birthday:  10/07/1967

as soon as the p8p67 deluxe board is back in stock i'll be running a similar set up

For Nightmare question:

I picked the somewhat cheap 1333 kit, because I seen several benchmarks that are showing that different RAM kits on SB are not display a lot of "real life" difference...anyway, there is about 1 fps difference in most benches between high-end(1600 and up) and plain jane 1333..

Blackbart: I picked the 2500K after thinking about it quite a bit. My reasoning: I paid $249 for BOTH the CPU and the cooler...

I bought from NCIX canada, but you can also buy as an american citizen...there is an american version of the site.

www.ncixus.com

Pretty reliable I'm buying parts from them since 2004...NEVER had issues...

So awesome deal really hard to pass...also, apparently, it's a little easier to reach higher overclocks with a CPU without HT (hyperthreading)...temperatures while OCed are also a little lower.

Also, in GAMES benchmarks, the difference between 2600K and 2500K are non-existent in most cases...the 2600K is better in video encoding benches and some professional applications and BENCHMARKS...so the extra $$$ are hard to justify for a gamer...

Money-wize, you'd rather put a little extra money on graphics cards than CPUs ( a good balance is needed, but it this case it's a non-issue), because in games, at same clock speed, both chips will perform pretty much the same.

On the HD5870 topic, this is the card I actually own right now...pretty good. The Crossfire scaling is known to be even better with the new Hd69**-series...the 2GB of RAM on the HD69**s also helps future-proofing a little bit...it's also better in high anti-aliasing scenarios...

but yes, I'm pretty sure, I go back to old faithful nVIDIA in SLI...

I'm eyeing the EVGA GTX570s that I can pricematch down to $340 each...this what I want...the wife thinks different LOLZ..

I'll try to keep my card's price to $600 all included (sale's tax+ shipping)...i might have to wait a little more for price drops...or I might settle for 560Tis...but I NEED 570's...this time, I got some slack from the ol lady, it is my intent to use that "window of opportunity" to the MAX.

UKILDME, that DELUXE will give you extra LAST STAND/SECOND CHANCE options...lol

• Member ID:  1588
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  904
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  5532
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/25/1966

Holy shit 5ghz....who would have thunk it.

Awards

5.0GHZ is...SEXY, but you need a pretty stable 24/7 overclock, not a "suicide run" overclock on nitrous...that blows a gasket down the road...so 4.6 is my realistic (and easy to reach) overclock on this...

Well, yes those Sandy bridge CPUs, while OCed are reaching the same performance level as the Intel Extreme edition 6-cores 980-X CPUs worth $999...

More on SandyBridge RAM:  We are used to pay a lot more for good overclocking RAM...it's a reflex. But, SandyBridge Overclocking DOESN'T INVOLVE running the RAM at higher specs...

Sandy Overclocking is done by increasing the CPU multiplier, NOT by increasing the FSB (front side bus) speed...so we don't need memory that can "ride the lightning" on an overclocked FSB...SANDY BCLK (base clock) is set to 100mhz and SHOULN'T BE TOUCHED...all attemps to increase BCLK on Sandy will probably lead to a lot of issues...

Why? Because the base clock is used as a reference for a lot of components on this CPU...but it's also a good thing....you OC just by increasing the CPU multiplier (sandy's multi is UNLOCKED)

Interesting article from TECHREPORT on "how much RAM speed affects SandyBridge performance"

http://techreport.com/articles.x/20377/1

In gaming,

metro-high.gif

Metro 2033 is the most demanding FPS today, even more demanding than Crysis was (on high settings). you can clearly see that the RAM speed doesn't affect FPS...

With SandyBridge, you have to be careful about the RAM HEIGHT...the RAM slots are a little closer to the CPU socket...so COOLER fins/fans clearance in relation with RAM heatsink HEIGHT has to match...

The Gskill Ripjaws X is not too tall (42mm I thing).. The Corsair Vengeance, on the other hand, is a lot taller...so careful when you choose the heatsink and the ram...some Cooler have height-adjustable fans (Noctua does), so you can slide it up a tad to gain that little extra you need

• Member ID:  2048
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  294
  • Content Count:  6689
  • Content Per Day:  1.37
  • Achievement Points:  48999
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  05/30/1967

overclocking is over rated.but have fun..

overclocking is overrated?

hmmm if you use a nice crossfire or SLI setup like some have its not overrated

it doesnt make sense to use a 6970 in CF and a 2.7 GHZ CPU because the cpu will always throttle your sys

I OCed my i5 750 to 4 GHZ 24/7... 

@CplMOFO 

like I said I would have choosen a different RAM because I work a lot with video editing...

Adobe After Effects works with a RAM preview.....and you need every single MHZ you can get LOL

but again thats just me

the difference at OCing my cpu is....

to render a video will take half the time ....and thats a big deal

• Member ID:  906
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  143
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  17080
  • Content Per Day:  3.26
  • Achievement Points:  148525
  • Days Won:  677
  • Birthday:  11/30/1960

cplMOFO ....HELPED ME OVERCLOCK MY 2.8 TO A 3.5 AND I SURE AS HELL SEE THE DEFRENTS .ALL I CAN SAY IS THANKS MOFO ..

• Member ID:  94
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  552
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  3739
  • Birthday:  12/03/1955

new M/B comes out soon

http://www.guru3d.com/news/intel-z68-express-chipset-details/

SSD cache, overclock and video

Overclocking overrated?

Pretty much like an already fast Mustang V8 can be souped-up with custom parts (supercharger or some other good stuff) to go even faster...

Of course Overclocking void most CPU's warranty.

My take...if you KNOW that you reach an easy 500mhz+ jump...It's worth it...you'll benefit...Most Intel can take an extra 800 mhz to 1GHz above specs, while staying within reason (thermals and voltages).. common sense...

On the K-series sandy, Intel states that they offer no warranty on the end-result...but they are sold UNLOCKED especially for the enthusiast...

The truth...high-end graphics cards REALLY appreciate a "push" from a 4.0GHz CPU...it removes a possible bottleneck...anything above 4.0GHz is gravy.

Anything above regular clock speed is FREE. The CPU makers are playing with us, and the CPUs are actually perfectly capable to run above spec, especially true for Intel CPUs.

On the AMD side, the Phenom II X4 and X6 are good overclockers...some oldie AMD CPUs have almost no leeway tho..keep that in mind...

I own an Intel C2D E6420 (stock clock 2.13GHZ (NEVER ran at stock)OCed since 2007 (ran it at 3.2GHz until I upgraded, then passed it on to my daughter, clocked at 2.8GHZ).

My actual Intel C2Q Q9550 (stock 2.83GHz) runs at 3.825GHz since day one (18 months ago) huge benefit if you NEED to feed a powerful graphics card.

Your mileage may vary...but the fun, the potential and the parts are there!!!

look at this guy....extreme yes, but he's running a "phase-change" mini-fridge compressor system in his case!!!

bhthreephas.jpg

now THAT is too much money versus benefit...but I can't judge him...he's probably a happy camper

• Member ID:  260
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  112
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  602
  • Birthday:  06/09/1979

If it was me I would wait for ivy bridge, after this fiasco, but I'm running an I7 920 so I'm not needing the upgrade.  I would go with nvidia cards too my old 275 was great and my 2 470's can handle any game at full max settings @ 1920x1200. That being said I would get the 570's or the 560ti but if you get a 560ti get a 560ti fpb or 560ti sc from evga they are the only company making these cards new the other brand 560ti's are modified  460's.  the evga card has more phases of power and extra ram cooling heatsinks plus lifetime warranty.  It will oc higher than other 560ti's and run cooler doing it. Or make a move on getting the new dual gpu card a 460 2win card it will also beat the 580.  cant wait to see the 490/590 whatever they are going to call it lol   If overclocking is a waste then why dont you downclock all your gear so you can save power you green weine btw i can downclock my 470's to .825vid a core speed of 467Mhz and still play games lol

Nice avatar Xring...

You're already golden if you're running X58...obviously you don't need an upgrade.

BTW, my actual rig is fine! I just got the upgrade itch after getting some extra cash...and BF3 seems promising!!! Gotta be ready for that!

• Member ID:  260
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  112
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  602
  • Birthday:  06/09/1979

THANKS Mofo I'm glad to see you waited and got the version 3 board and just wanted you to know, if you didnt allready know about, the evga 560ti being a different card then all the other 560ti out there. Also that some real beastly cards on coming soon if you had a little more time. Yes, I know there is always better stuff coming but timing is everything when it comes to upgrades. What cards did you end up getting or thinking of now?

• Member ID:  681
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  61
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  385
  • Birthday:  07/18/1977

Nice stuff mofo , have you recieved it all yet?

After months of me saving enough funds together I will finally be ordering my Sandy bridge setup early next week.

Can't wait I tell ya!

Cheers

Paul.

Man, the stuff hasn't shipped yet...parts were a little scattered between the NCIX warehouses (my etailer)..they should be shipped tonight...I need my stuff for next week-end...I'll post pictures...

Now I'm looking at GFX cards....about ready to order...

Issues:

-One GTX580 is $500...

BUT 2 X GTX560Ti are $500, BUT are going faster...

GTX570s are $340 and I want two...but there is issues with their design....the "power stages", AKA VRMs are a little lacking...I guess it's fine if you keep the cards at stock and buy from PNY, EVGA or ZOTAC (lifetime warranties)...

Radeons are less POWER hungry...HD6950s are selling for $269 each, Crossfire great...seemsl iek an option, although crossfire is a little finicky....

Dunno...I need to buy max graphics powa, as it's gonna be my last rig for quite a bit, wifey kinda feels like I could start putting my money elsewhere lolz...

On the new cards coming up, or just out:

Radeon Hd6990 (dual 6970 on a single card) is selling for $750 and is LOUD AS HELL

GeFORCE GTX590 is coming out on the 24th, but there will be a very limited run, possibly only by EVGA and ASUS...a total of 1000 units (rumor)...it will be two GTX580 cores, but  downclocked to 600-some mhz to stay with thermal limits...too expensive....

So, the best GTX570 is the ASUS DirectCu II version, because it has a custom PCB (circuit board), but beefed up voltage regulators, (the gray cubes...6 for GPU and 2 for memory) only drawback IT'S BIG and uses one 8pin + one 6pin PCI-E...

front_small.jpg

VERSUS a STOCK GTX570 PCB (only 4 power regulators (with R125 markings)...look there is two missing (the GTX580 has the full 6) the cards are supposedly fine if you NEVER touch the voltage or try to disable the Over Current Protection (OCP)

NVIDIA-Geforce-GTX570-PCB.jpg

LOOK at what a ASUS dual 570  or 580 DirectCuII cards look like in SLI... GEEK PORN!!!!!!!!!

IMG_3441.jpg

LOL.. MOFO, I was just singing the blues over some shipping crap too.  But mine is RMA stuff going BACK to newegg..hope it gets there in time.

BTW, didn't really consider HOW MUCH it costs to RMA stuff back to NewEgg. It ended up costing about 30% of original price to send it back.. THAT SUCKS. 15% restock AND shipping (I figured shipping was part of the restock until I went through it). SO, moral of the story.. figure out WTF you want and buy that. Don't count on RMA if you change your mind.

Good Luck with the video. Now that I have my little issues worked out with ATI settings, I cannot complain about the Radeons I'm running. I think either ATI or Nvidia will give you real good service for a long time.

I feel your pain about RMA...my etailer offers EXPRESS RMA for 30 days...it's costing about 5% of the purchase price...fast turnaround, they send you shipping labels and stuff, possibility of "crosshipping"

I got free shipping labels from EVGA a couple times....

CplMOFO

I feel your pain about RMA...my etailer offers EXPRESS RMA for 30 days...it's costing about 5% of the purchase price...fast turnaround, they send you shipping labels and stuff, possibility of "crosshipping"

I got free shipping labels from EVGA a couple times....

Thats a much better deal. If I had problems with the items, I would have pursued a cheaper deal, but I just had too many parts because of a couple of mistakes on my part.