Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Weightloss

Damage_inc-

• Member ID:  2048
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  6689
  • Content Per Day:  1.37
  • Achievement Points:  48999
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  05/30/1967
  • Device:  Windows

anyone have luck with Adkins?Anyone using kettle-bells to lose weight?

• Member ID:  907
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2731
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Achievement Points:  26177
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  02/10/1969

I have seen people have good success with Adkins for losing weight, but everyone I know who has tried it ended up gaining all (and more) of the weight back. The key (IMHO) to successful and long-term weight loss is changing your eating habits permanently, and Adkins doesn't really lend itself to this.

I would recommend first and foremost starting to track everything you eat. I use this site:

http://tracker.dailyburn.com

It has an easy to use and comprehensive food database for logging food. Most people have no idea what they really eat every day and would be surprised if they accurately logged it. We're talking every M&M, beer, etc.

Kettle-bells are great tools for exercise, but I'm of the opinion that when it comes to weight loss, however you burn calories is fine. In the end, it's a simple math equation - you need to burn more calories every day than you consume. No matter how hard you train, you can't out train a bad diet. Diet is first and foremost the single most important thing when it comes to weight loss and maintaining a healthy weight.

• Member ID:  220
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  147
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  16950
  • Content Per Day:  3.17
  • Achievement Points:  129713
  • Days Won:  120
  • Birthday:  04/05/1970

I did the Akins once and lost a few pounds but I think from all the foods I was eating I was not feeling right. I don't recommend it at all. You can eat lots but that is opposite what I was needing to do.

I was just in the process of loosing weight until 2 weeks ago due to a few distractions and changes. I had started a month and a half ago and I was 165 then dropped to 162 in then 160, 158 160 , 158, down all the way to 154 to 152ish with changes in my eating habits. I was getting some exercise but I have done it with little exercise but I had to change habits.

2 weeks ago my transition got interrupted and Im back to 160 because I started eating more than I needed. I have slacked off in amount of food I intake so getting back on track with that but it takes time. You asking this question will get me thinking in the right direction because for me it is a transition. No way I can due it all at once. I need one step at a time and I adapt. So.. i trade habits at times or convert ones.

I have a medium metabolism depending habits. Some meds have given me a super slow metabolism. Took 40lbs to figure that one out.

One I traded up Beer for Bourbon. Then Bourbon and coke to Bourbon and water with Lemon juice in it, tastes like lemon bourbon. Beer gets expensive and a half lasts me 4 days or more where 18 pack lasts 2 nights or less.

That there helps but best really to ditch the alcohol but fuck that.

I can care less about cookies, cake, candy and all other. Sweets I no longer desire. I is something I just blocked over time.. yes I know they are good but I would rather eat a nice mash potato, corn, carrots, green beans, steack fried chicken, meat loaf, pizza, hamburger, fries, tatertots, onion rings, fish, pork than any fucking ice cream, cake, cookie candy or other.

Then I get the amount I eat down like less food during day. To me breakfast is the best meal of the day so I at time may grab an egg if hungry or something light. But I eat late at night most of the time so my meal is probagly not fully digested so in my mind, i don't need breakfast. I sleep great when I get full. It has gotten down for me to have one meal and snacks a little in between but only certain things and i was always exploring for new things to keep it interesting.

Carrots with ranch to me is great for you. Well the carrots are... lol. It works great, you shit more because of the high fiber helping you get rid of all that waste and toxins so you system works smother. You will loss weight just in shit if you eat enough fiber. I am not a health nut. Cant afford to be one... but if you add fiber in your diet and keep it consistent, your system will get used to it and you become regular as all get out. Some cereals are a great snack for that as well. I like cereals, just ones low in sugar and high in fiber makes for great snacks. True Valley granola bars are great source. Celery is great also.. put a bit of peanut butter, just not for me..... stops me up.

But my main meal I eat good, I eat what I want. I dont force 3 plates of Chinese buffy down, just 2 and 1/2 plates and some soup and salad. lol

Most of the I eat late like I said or snack on carrots if needed.

On a calories scale which Im looking into more as I pay attention to what I eat.. 2000 calories is easy to achieve but I dont think that is as important as the sugars and amount of food during the day or what type of food. Lunch is a killer for me. If I get in the habit of lunch... I fuck myself. Im going to eat dinner then probably be hungry for breakfast. When working in the Heat the worst thing you can do is eat lunch. You body is to busy digesting food to keep you warm.

Now... Im single, I dont have a wife telling me it is time for dinner. I dont have kids that need to be fed lunch breakfast and all other so I have all kinds of flexibility. But if the spouse is on board it can so happen. I love veggies, and if you do them right you can pig out on them and feel good about yourself. Same with some meats, i can kill a chicken... i dont feel guilty about that. Give me a cake and have me eat it in 2 days... i will feel guilty for a week. lol

Thanks for asking... im getting motivated again. I just want to get down to 240 maybe 235.

Edited by hxtr

what other tips do people have that is cheap and good for you snacks? I need more ideas please. :)

And dont tell me Ruggers toob steak, not much fiber, pure protein though.

• Member ID:  252
  • Group:  +++ COD2 Head Admin
  • Followers:  71
  • Topic Count:  392
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  6417
  • Content Per Day:  1.20
  • Achievement Points:  54337
  • Days Won:  30
  • Birthday:  03/22/1965

Well fuck me....Seems my old ass had a transition that I did not want....Over 1 year now and counting turns out I cant eat nothing....I have developed some strange ass allergy to dam near everything and to me seems like either citric acid and or benzoate....Its killing me as the 2 things are put in just about every fucking thing we eat or drink....So I say eat whatever you can cause I cant....Simple things like catsup,mayonase,mustard you name it...Had a cheese burger the other day and might as well wooped my ass.....Swelled up every where itched then looked like I was burned on the stake...This happens every other Fn day

Wow Im going to Loaders house for dinner..... this sounds like fun.

damn what all can you eat bro.. that sucks.

Loader, have you looked into a Paleo diet? Basically like a gluten free diet.

• Member ID:  252
  • Group:  +++ COD2 Head Admin
  • Followers:  71
  • Topic Count:  392
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  6417
  • Content Per Day:  1.20
  • Achievement Points:  54337
  • Days Won:  30
  • Birthday:  03/22/1965

I can eat chicken that is if I cook it but heres another example made Bbq spareribs myself well another bad choice my right inner leg and my hole left hand looked a tomato that was slightly boiled and twice there size....I am in the process now with the help of Dr,s trying to find out....All started with a salad from Wally world @Bogleg I will look into that asap...Thanks

i thought paleo is like adkins?

• Member ID:  2986
  • Group:  ++++ Senior Admin
  • Followers:  206
  • Topic Count:  384
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  6454
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Achievement Points:  50699
  • Days Won:  21
  • Birthday:  12/19/1967
  • Device:  iPhone

I have lost 25 lbs. The best way, and I've tried them all, is to count calories. You get to eat what you want, just in moderation. I use www.calorieking.com It also has a food database for you to use. You can also get an app for your phone/computer called www.myfitness.com and it is free. Good luck!!!!

The problem for me with Atkins is you can't drink at all!!! Can't do it!!! LOL

Edited by Gatorgirl

• Member ID:  22339
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  167
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1714
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Achievement Points:  12960
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  03/20/1972
  • Device:  Android

I was put on the diabetic diet years ago. I quickly dropped about 25 pounds. I was actually losing too much too fast so my dietician added fat back into my diet. It sped up my metabolism so much that I was eating more than most large men at a buffet and still maintaining my weight. After about 10 years of no longer being on the diet, my metabolism finally caught up with me unfortunately and I should consider going back on the diet again.

• Member ID:  3282
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  350
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  2327
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/18/1983

What has worked for me was just portion control, cardio and protein. Multiple small meals/protein shakes instead of three main meals and plenty of exercise is the proven method, and I was able to drop 25lbs on my last deployment in less than 3 months.

Damage - Paleo is sort of like Atkins. They are somewhat similar. But on a Paleo diet you are typically eating a balanced meal - not necessarily one that is 50% or more protein-based. I liken the Paleo diet to the "God Diet" (as some call it) - basically you only eat whole foods (and by that I don't mean a whole grain bread), so as a result - no processed foods at all. No dairy in a true Paleo diet (eggs notwithstanding). Basically berries, most nuts, meats, and vegetables. But not all vegetables are considered Paleo.

Loader - I saw a movie awhile back where I think the guy who made it had the same thing going on as you. The movie is called "Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead" - you may want to check it out.

Oh and Loader - BBQ sauce and all that kind of stuff probably has high fructose corn syrup in it - and if I were in a position where diet was causing some kind of disorder like you describe, the first thing I'd do is eliminate all processed crap like HFCS.

Edited by Bogleg

• Member ID:  715
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  418
  • Content Count:  2178
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Achievement Points:  16606
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  11/04/1943

Bottom line is proper diet and exercise.

Rarely do all these fad diets result in any permanent weight loss. Some can do more harm than good.

Suck it up and change your lifestyle or you are doomed to failure

well im quiting for the time pasta/bread/potatoes and processed foods ..Im an early bird so Ive been workling out 15-20 minutes with a 35lb kettle bell I purchased for 42 bucks including shipping...great deal.Ill tell you ...I used to lift weight .circuit train and run when I was younger and fit,but this 15-20 min workout with a kettlebell is full body and hits muscles Ive never focused on before.Its also cardio andlow impact...No impact on my knees thank god and your heartrate goes up the first rep you do incredibly fast and you really know your working out and burning calories...Most important stretch before and after and concentrate on form first and alot of reps.So far its going well....gl

well im quiting for the time pasta/bread/potatoes and processed foods ..Im an early bird so Ive been workling out 15-20 minutes with a 35lb kettle bell I purchased for 42 bucks including shipping...great deal.Ill tell you ...I used to lift weight .circuit train and run when I was younger and fit,but this 15-20 min workout with a kettlebell is full body and hits muscles Ive never focused on before.Its also cardio andlow impact...No impact on my knees thank god and your heartrate goes up the first rep you do incredibly fast and you really know your working out and burning calories...Most important stretch before and after and concentrate on form first and alot of reps.So far its going well....gl

down 10lbs so far..not starving ...got to go workout for 20 min .shower then off to work.have a great day all...

my update

well sticking to no white foods pasta /dairy/potatoes or processed foods and basically no sugar or close to min-ute if it in a sauce or dressing.Drink less coffee because after you work out your body thirsts so as a result drink alot more water..been loseing almost a pound a day pretty consistent now..Down 16lbs this morning..

Im amazed by how just cutting out a variety of foods I ate and working out 15-20 min in the morning can achieve so much ..By cutting out these foods you tend to get fuller fast ,hunger less and have less sweet cravings...weird because I have a huge appetite and sweet tooth..also I was always and meat and potatoes guy ....meat being my favorite part of the meal and I love salads so this is kinda easy at the moment...gl all

• Member ID:  3380
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  376
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  3170
  • Birthday:  08/18/1965

wanna loose weight guys? try the french diet: cook yourself fresh food, and just eat small amounts. But if you really want to loose weight: stop eating and drink beer!!! i swear god it works! :w00t:

Edited by Sykorsky

• Member ID:  1238
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  6083
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Achievement Points:  50727
  • Days Won:  11
  • Device:  Kindle Fire

Maybe you'd be interested in this list of 12 things you never knew could make you fat...

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/interactive/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1747#.UCZUKnjx3k8.link

The surprising one for me (though I was delighted that my refusal to drink tap water has been vindicated)

was fluoridated mains water. Personally, I have always found this stuff revolting - it smells and tastes like

swimming pool water and the odour of it makes me nauseous. So, I prefer the French mountain water

(Evian) or Derbyshire/Scottish spring water in bottles - more bacteria but it doesn't mess with my body like

the chemical crap they pump through the taps (faucets).

• Member ID:  3380
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  376
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  3170
  • Birthday:  08/18/1965

well, seriously, when i was playing rugby, 25 years ago i weight 225 lbs (112kgs), and when i stopped i had to come on serious diet. My mother (god bless her) told me just to reduce the amount of food i used to have in order to reduce my stomach width. so i ate more often, but smalll amounts, and i lost 70 lbs (35kgs) in one year and a half, without paying any bullshit diet or whatever. I keep making this my way of fooding and i'm still same weight at 47---> 158 lbs (79kgs) with a heigt of 1. 8 m (5.9055 ft)

Edited by Sykorsky

• Member ID:  22349
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  766
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Achievement Points:  4612

Fat , sick and nearly dead sounds like my bachelor party 20 years ago.....

Loader--have you looked into a low sodium diet and avoiding the hell out of processed foods?

I could stand to lose about 30 pounds, but that's cause i like to drink alcohol. Once i started checking sodium, staying away from processed crap and taking it easy on the candy and cookies i have maintained and slowly started to lose.

• 1 month later...

update.still stickin to diet which is really just not eating processed foods and sugars -its close to the paleo diet and consistently working out only 15 minutes before I hit the shower in the morning .Ive also experimented with different exercises and narrowed my routine to 3 or 4 exercises 3 reps of each and its full body and cardio standing still all with my kettle bell..I used to bike ride to from work 1- 3 times a week ..7 mile round trip up down hills with no results..So I still do this.The weight has come off fast so far and Im not starving.I'm eating whole foods ,more vegetables and no processed foods except for some salad dressings. ..I would still like to lose another 25lb eventually which will I think get tougher as it gets colder out since I workout on my deck and bike ride...Ive slimmed down and lost most of my belly and have gained more muscle especially in my arms and triceps -Ive still got those love handles and lower tummy to lose...

I lost 33lbs so far.

Edited by Damage_inc-

• Member ID:  2986
  • Group:  ++++ Senior Admin
  • Followers:  206
  • Topic Count:  384
  • Content Count:  6454
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Achievement Points:  50699
  • Days Won:  21
  • Birthday:  12/19/1967

update.still stickin to diet which is really just not eating processed foods and sugars -its close to the paleo diet and consistently working out only 15 minutes before I hit the shower in the morning .Ive also experimented with different exercises and narrowed my routine to 3 or 4 exercises 3 reps of each and its full body and cardio standing still all with my kettle bell..I used to bike ride to from work 1- 3 times a week ..7 mile round trip up down hills with no results..So I still do this.The weight has come off fast so far and Im not starving.I'm eating whole foods ,more vegetables and no processed foods except for some salad dressings. ..I would still like to lose another 25lb eventually which will I think get tougher as it gets colder out since I workout on my deck and bike ride...Ive slimmed down and lost most of my belly and have gained more muscle especially in my arms and triceps -Ive still got those love handles and lower tummy to lose...

I lost 33lbs so far.

That's awesome!! Keep up the good work!!

wanna loose weight guys? try the french diet: cook yourself fresh food, and just eat small amounts. But if you really want to loose weight: stop eating and drink beer!!! i swear god it works! :w00t:

Many say eat less but eat more often. Eating more often keeps the system processing and helps you stay satisfied. Eating one or two larger meals a day overloads the system contributing to weight gain. Makes sense to me.

I am guilty of larger meals, I only eat Breakfast and Dinner. I am not a midday snacker either, but I do not eat healthy food. Fish and Veggies never see my plate.

The Kettlebells having been getting very good reviews. I am considering a set myself.

Subject: Cardiovascular Questions and Answers

Q: I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?

A: Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it, don't waste them away on exercise. Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart will not make you live longer; that's like saying you can extend the life of your car by driving it faster. Want to live longer? Take a nap.

Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?

A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow eat? Hay and corn. And what are these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing more than an efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily allowance of vegetable slop.

Q: Is beer or wine bad for me?

A: Look, it goes to the earlier point about fruits and vegetables. As we all know, scientists divide everything in the world into three categories: animal, mineral, and vegetable. We all know that beer and wine are not animal, and they are not on the periodic table of elements, so that only leaves one thing, right?

My advice: Have a burger and a beer and enjoy your liquid vegetables.

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?

A: Well, if you have a body, and you have body fat, your ratio is one to one. If you have two bodies, your ratio is two to one, etc.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular

exercise program?

A: Can't think of a single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No Pain………Good!

Q: If I stop smoking, will I live longer?

A: Nope. Smoking is a sign of individual expression and peace of mind. If you stop, you'll probably stress yourself to death in record time.

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?

A: You're not listening. Foods are fried these days in vegetable oil.

In fact, they're permeated in it. How could getting more vegetables be bad for you?

Q: What's the secret to healthy eating?

A: Thicker gravy.

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?

A: Definitely not! When you exercise a muscle, it gets bigger. You should only be doing sit-ups if you want a bigger stomach.

I hope this column has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about eating and exercising.

Dr. Carlson

Edited by Shamu