Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Flashing Bios

squEEzer

• Member ID:  230
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  32
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/04/1960

Hi Peeps,

I was wondering if flashing my bios would help my 3 year old 64 bit Windows 7 computer any, or would doing that just destroy my system. I read through a lot of the forum topics until my eyes hurt, and I did not see anything about flashing bios. So I went online and so far, cannot find any positive feedback on this subject.

Can anyone tell me anything about this subject?

• Member ID:  1965
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1176
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  8599
  • Birthday:  02/11/1969

its a tricky buisness...you have to know what you are doing....basically you have to reformat your comp...you can store most of important items and use a flash drive to flash your bios..or  a bootable c.d with new bios on it....not something for the computer iliterate like myself...i tried it once and effed everything up...basically if it ain't broke don't fix it...is my new attitude...ive had this bios from day one...never updated it yet...and it's from 2009....do yourself a huge favor and get a ss drive...and only put your important games on it...the rest store it on a portable h.d....and make sure your downloads go to the portable drive...no need to flash a bios unless you have important updates for your hardware via the mother board...don't do it...lol...just clean up your h.d and put the crap on another hard drive....good luck..

• Member ID:  2028
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  1740
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  10637
  • Birthday:  03/10/1963
  • Device:  Windows

What motherboard do you have some have a flash tool what you can download it is not risky    just read good

But why you need to flash  if you pc runs it is good  flashing bios is mostly   if you have a newer cpu what is not  compitable  with your version what you have on your motherboard now

So do not do it,  no use to do it

• Member ID:  389
  • Followers:  45
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4466
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Achievement Points:  36490
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  01/01/1970

Hi Peeps,

I was wondering if flashing my bios would help my 3 year old 64 bit Windows 7 computer any, or would doing that just destroy my system. I read through a lot of the forum topics until my eyes hurt, and I did not see anything about flashing bios. So I went online and so far, cannot find any positive feedback on this subject.

Can anyone tell me anything about this subject?

yes Johnny Quest correct on if not know what doing  leave it  or own a paper weight, door stop  

first what MB have and its Revision (if have one) not bios  Version for are totally different things  

for MB revision for same model name but are using different vendors chips on MB

so if flash wrong bios you get a blank screen, trying to shove a chevy part in a ford

another thing should flash in DOS ....command prompt once you got correct bios file for your MB (Rev:1.2 / Rev1.5)

best find out what MB have and go to manufactors site and check bios up dates to see if any pertain to you

like cpu update, ram issues , stability , video if onboard etc

most all MB manufactors have utility's to up bios on your MB drivers disk

the reason is you don't see any info on flashing bios, 99% first timers mess it up

they aborted operation rendering brain dead cmos

Never loose power when updating bios

any questions ask

• Member ID:  830
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  96
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  792
  • Birthday:  01/07/1969

however you will not have to reformat your drive. and most boards flash now with a simple program that will do it threw windows. But you should only flash if the update bio,s if it will fix any problems that you are currently having and you most goto website of the board you have and get the correct one or you will destroy your board

• Member ID:  5841
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  608
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Achievement Points:  4384

Yea, just let us know which model MB you have and if you know the current bios version.

TBH 95% of bios flashes are safe and cause no problems but at the same time if you're not careful you can of course give yourself problems.

If you can give the above info though we can look at and let you know if it's worth doing.

Sometimes they just simply add support for a newer CPU. Sometimes they make more RAM compatible, sometimes fix GPU issues, other times nothing you would care about or want. I have seen some give performance and stability increases and some decrease. It just depends.

I have flashed probably a thousand bios in my life so far (can you tell I work in IT lol) and so far I think I have only had 2 fail and in one of those cases was a result of my own mistake.

That said, some systems are very very easy to flash, others a tad more complicated.

In the case of laptops, it's generally recommended to keep them up to date because they modify things such as cooling curves and other algorithms that regulate temperature. In some cases they can even modify voltages slightly. These sort of changes can increase the life span of the components depending what's being done and why.

Anyway, just let us know and we can give you recommendations.

• Member ID:  2759
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  199
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3496
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  26464
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/27/1990

I would only risk it if your mobo has dual bios setups. If you brick one it will fallover to the backup.

Why fix something if it aint broke though? Bios has mostly to do with bootup. (unless it's a laptop in which case you can sometimes get things to be more power efficient / cooler )

• Member ID:  1128
  • Followers:  78
  • Topic Count:  1197
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  6520
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Achievement Points:  63383
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  10/21/1954

Okay I have some questions here too. This week I am upgrading my cpu to this:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284 from an AMD Phenom II 4x 965 and the present bios is P1.50. Can anyone tell me if I am going to need to flash my bios? And what link do I use to get the correct BIOS and how big of a flash drive is needed for this? If I remember it only requires a 256 flash drive to do this with am I right?

• Member ID:  1270
  • Followers:  149
  • Topic Count:  330
  • Content Count:  3861
  • Achievement Points:  34156
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  04/12/1969

I made ​​3 update to the motherboard..using the manufacturer utility..no boot cd or other drive boot...under Windows...

• Member ID:  1270
  • Followers:  149
  • Topic Count:  330
  • Content Count:  3861
  • Achievement Points:  34156
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  04/12/1969

Okay I have some questions here too. This week I am upgrading my cpu to this:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284 from an AMD Phenom II 4x 965 and the present bios is P1.50. Can anyone tell me if I am going to need to flash my bios? And what link do I use to get the correct BIOS and how big of a flash drive is needed for this? If I remember it only requires a 256 flash drive to do this with am I right?

what motherboard you have??model..??more info..beech..:)

• Member ID:  1128
  • Followers:  78
  • Topic Count:  1197
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  6520
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Achievement Points:  63383
  • Birthday:  10/21/1954

All I can find is ASRock 970 Extreme3 and that is all I find and I don't know where the box went and hid!

Edited by BigPapaDean

• Member ID:  2048
  • Topic Count:  294
  • Content Count:  6689
  • Content Per Day:  1.37
  • Achievement Points:  48999
  • Birthday:  05/30/1967

id guess most manufacturers give you a bios update program like gigabyte does.youu run the program ir connects to there server it checks revision and u then walk away till it says its done.do not shut it off before it tell u to unless you need a paperweight or boat anchor.if its more complicated then that then just dont bother .period.

Edited by Damage_inc-

id guess most manufacturers give you a bios update program like gigabyte does.youu run the program ir connects to there server it checks revision and u then walk away till it says its done.do not shut it off before it tell u to unless you need a paperweight or boat anchor.if its more complicated then that then just dont bother .period.

yes  Asus, AsRock, Giga-Byte,  MSI all  have an update utility to keep your drivers, firmware current

Please take the time to look @ motherboard for its Rev: X.XX that printed on MB near #1 video slot or lower left corner of MB

so not to fall in trap as someone above thinks all MB are same model when Rev's of MB's change vendors chips MB keeping same model #

manufactors  are getting better @ flashing apps  but still look for it's Rev:  number

pappaDean:  you can get CPU-Z to ID your MB and its current BIOS with out opening the case

iThinks  squEEzer  has bite the dust with all the replys and not returned any input on the issue

if You fubar'd the flash,  then you need to HOT FLASH it ..... Note not for novice

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  6925
  • Followers:  42
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  180
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1730
  • Birthday:  07/22/1968

I agree ..... never update bios ifits works fine ..... you maybe got big trouble after updait . same your grafidcard ... dont update iff nessery.....