Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Day Light Saving Usa/canada

KaptCrunch

• Member ID:  389
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  45
  • Topic Count:  296
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4490
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Achievement Points:  36643
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  40
  • Birthday:  01/01/1970
  • Device:  Windows

this weekend we spring ahead and loose an hour of sleep  so remember to  put clocks  ahead 1 hour

• Member ID:  171
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  51
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1487
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Achievement Points:  8690
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/05/1970

Also....check the batteries in the smoke detectors........ :police::thumbup:

• Member ID:  1850
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  98
  • Topic Count:  328
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8620
  • Content Per Day:  1.73
  • Achievement Points:  55994
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  06/19/1948

I like daylight savings time and yes smoke detectors batteries.

• Member ID:  1620
  • Group:  ++ COD5 Admin
  • Followers:  90
  • Topic Count:  161
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1430
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Achievement Points:  11072
  • Birthday:  03/24/1962

You got it!

Take care...

• Member ID:  3174
  • Followers:  100
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2162
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Achievement Points:  17423
  • Birthday:  07/24/1957

thanks for the reminder...lol damn you crunch now i don't have an excuse to be late for work :P

• Member ID:  1357
  • Group:  ++ COD4 Admin
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  181
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2297
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Achievement Points:  16655
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/11/1972

F*ck. Prefer the "fall back" change...

• Member ID:  174
  • Group:  +++ COD2 Head Admin
  • Followers:  129
  • Topic Count:  387
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  14892
  • Content Per Day:  2.76
  • Achievement Points:  91127
  • Days Won:  52
  • Birthday:  04/23/1970
  • Device:  iPhone

Thanks for the update..

• Member ID:  77
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Followers:  111
  • Topic Count:  1018
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7527
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Achievement Points:  69486
  • Days Won:  47

• Member ID:  1238
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  6083
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Achievement Points:  50727
  • Days Won:  11
  • Device:  Kindle Fire

Just remember, fellow Britons, that the folk across the water do this earlier than we do - last Sunday of the month for us!

This year that's Sunday 31 March.

lol just found out i have to work one hour less, but get paid for it anyway :P i will make sure i am not working when the clocks go back this fall... lol dont want to work an extra hour and NOT get paid for it :P

• Member ID:  1194
  • Followers:  40
  • Topic Count:  436
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  6692
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  53094
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  04/15/1960

I'm sick of all the shit our government makes us do, so in protest I will only move my clocks ahead 15 minutes. :coffee: 

• Member ID:  2617
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  107
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  911
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/11/1969

Thanks for the reminder.

Be sure and drink an extra coffee this morning, you will need it!

• Member ID:  20166
  • Topic Count:  611
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  7654
  • Content Per Day:  1.97
  • Achievement Points:  53674
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  10/16/1946

Editorial I wrote on this subject:

The semi-annual assault on our sleep cycle when we are forced to move our clocks ahead an hour to "save daylight" has been underway for better than a century and was just as inconvenient then, and it is now.
   We are told that the point of daylight savings time is to save energy. But it doesn't.
   What it does is kill people.
   The American Journal of Cardiology reported last year that heart attacks increase by 10 percent on Monday and Tuesday following the shift to daylight savings time, and not all of those victims survive. Traffic accidents increase eight percent on the Monday following the changeover, and not all of those victims survive either.
   Unless you live in a glass house, you generally need to turn the lights on indoors regardless whether the sun is shining. The U.S. Department of Transportation did a study more than 30 years ago that suggested DST "might" reduce the nation's energy use one percent during March and April. But, the National Bureau of Standards took a hard look at that report and concluded there were no significant savings.
   In fact, in some countries, the opposite occurred - Australia found that DST increased electricity consumption during hotter days. Japan looked at implementing DST six years ago but concluded doing so would increase overall energy due to the need for extra cooling - air conditioners consume more energy that lights. The sooner it gets dark, the sooner it starts cooling off.
   A 2007 study found DST had little to no effect on consumption of electricity; a 2008 study in Indiana that examined billing data before, and after it adopted DST in 2006, and found that energy consumption increased 1-4 percent due to extra afternoon cooling and extra morning heating.
   So much for energy savings.
   So what else do proponents of DST offer? Well, it's good for health because it promotes outdoor leisure activity in the evening, they say. But what does interrupting your sleep cycle twice a year do for your health? Certainly, it's not beneficial, never mind the social disruption of having to reset clocks twice a year. In the digital age, we have many devices that must be manually changed in our homes and the work environment. Collectively, that's a lot of wasted time.
   We often hear farmers like DST but there are not that many farmers anymore and truth be told, they never supported the concept. Farmers operate on sunlight, regardless what the clock says. 
   How about public safety? A 1975 U.S. Department of Transportation study estimated that because of DST, traffic fatalities drop 1.5 to 2 percent. However, a later review of that study found no difference in traffic fatalities. And a more recent study found traffic accidents increase because drivers are not rested,
   In the 1970s, a study claimed a reduction of 10 to 13 percent in crime in Washington, D.C. But an examination of that study found crime reductions in only one category and decided it was impossible to conclude with any confidence that DST reduced crime.
     So why do we keep doing it? Why do we increase sunlight exposure which can lead to skin cancer, and disrupt sleep and reduce efficiency for weeks trying to readjust to DST?
   Isn't it well past time to either do away with daylight savings time, or, move the clocks ahead an hour and keep them there? In the latter respect, Russia is ahead of us - it already has done so.

• Member ID:  82
  • Group:  ** Registered Users
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1534
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  5020
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Achievement Points:  131491
  • Days Won:  116

I'm sick of all the shit our government makes us do, so in protest I will only move my clocks ahead 15 minutes. :coffee: 

I will move my clocks 15 minutes ahead four time in one day when our time comes, that will teach them :rambo:

well it causes another delema, if you are working the night the clocks go back... or forward.  Last night we worked from  23:00  to 07:30.  But at 2 am it bacame 3 am... so there wasa one less hours of actual work, but eveyone gets paid for 8... and the revers happens when we "fall" back an hour... if you are working you will have worked 9 hours in the shift, but only get paid for 8.  So... if you don't work the fall date, and only the spring... your ahead... but if you only work the fall date, you will not get paid for one actual hour of work. 

i agree lets all protest and only set our clocks 15 mins ahead like LOM.  and if we are late for anything, just tell them the government made you do it :P

• Member ID:  1238
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  6083
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Achievement Points:  50727
  • Days Won:  11
  • Device:  Kindle Fire

well it causes another delema, if you are working the night the clocks go back... or forward.  Last night we worked from  23:00  to 07:30.  But at 2 am it bacame 3 am... so there wasa one less hours of actual work, but eveyone gets paid for 8... and the revers happens when we "fall" back an hour... if you are working you will have worked 9 hours in the shift, but only get paid for 8.  So... if you don't work the fall date, and only the spring... your ahead... but if you only work the fall date, you will not get paid for one actual hour of work. 

i agree lets all protest and only set our clocks 15 mins ahead like LOM.  and if we are late for anything, just tell them the government made you do it :P

When I was working night shifts at this time of the year and my shift was shortened by the clock change, I had the choice of working an "extra" hour or taking the lost hour off as time-off.

I don't think what Harry says is strictly true, these days, in respect of digital devices as most change their own clocks.  If one has an analogue clock on the wall, that's different of course.

I tend to keep a couple of clocks/watches on BST even through the winter and call them my CET clocks!

The major concern about messing with the system here (there's been a suggestion we should adopt CET like mainland Western Europe) is child safety as it is not a good idea for kids to travel to school in the dark.

• Member ID:  82
  • Group:  ** Registered Users
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1534
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  5020
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Achievement Points:  131491
  • Days Won:  116

There has been a campaign in the UK  for a long time now to put our clocks ahead 2hours in Spring to get us in line with the rest of Europe and after that back to one hour back and forward, i personally am all for it, they tried this back in the 70's when i was at school and there was supposed to be less road deaths certainly in Winter especially when Schools were finishing what with having an extra hour of daylight in the Winter nights, As it stands now in Summer it starts to get light in Northern England at around 3.15 AM  will be earlier in Scotland, do we really need daylight at 3.15 AM wouldn't it be better to have extra hour of daylight in the evening when we are staggering back from the pub....works for me. :good:

Edited by Sonovabich

• Member ID:  20166
  • Topic Count:  611
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  7654
  • Content Per Day:  1.97
  • Achievement Points:  53674
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  10/16/1946

When I was working night shifts at this time of the year and my shift was shortened by the clock change, I had the choice of working an "extra" hour or taking the lost hour off as time-off.

I don't think what Harry says is strictly true, these days, in respect of digital devices as most change their own clocks.  If one has an analogue clock on the wall, that's different of course.

I tend to keep a couple of clocks/watches on BST even through the winter and call them my CET clocks!

The major concern about messing with the system here (there's been a suggestion we should adopt CET like mainland Western Europe) is child safety as it is not a good idea for kids to travel to school in the dark.

Re. "I don't think what Harry says is strictly true, these days, in respect of digital devices as most change their own clocks," yesterday, we had to reset the time of the following digital displays: stove, two coffeepots, two microwaves, two alarm clocks and one car clock, as well as on three "analog" clocks in the house and one in another car, plus two watches. The only things that reset the time on their own were various computers, and our "atomic" weather station clock.

Edited by SgtHarryWeezer