Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

My Video Card Is Getting Really Hot!

BigPapaDean

• Member ID:  1128
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  78
  • Topic Count:  1204
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  6538
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Achievement Points:  63540
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  10/21/1954
  • Device:  Windows

Everything seems to be okay but every once in a while it really gets hot to the point my games get real kind of like it's glitching or laggy which makes me think I have a LAN card problem. Lately I have been noticing it and before everything was totally fine. I have cable and the highest speed they have so that's not the problem so I wanna know what you guys think! I think its so bad sometimes it cuts me off the internet too. I have called Comcast and they tell me the modem shows a strong signal. I think the LAN card is all that's left! Now to your opines!!!

• Member ID:  1566
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1152
  • Content Count:  7674
  • Content Per Day:  1.51
  • Achievement Points:  68081
  • Days Won:  8

possible the fan needs cleaning stick the hoover on it that might help

• Member ID:  2068
  • Group:  +++ COD5 Head Admin
  • Followers:  69
  • Topic Count:  1079
  • Topics Per Day:  0.22
  • Content Count:  8459
  • Content Per Day:  1.72
  • Achievement Points:  75194
  • Days Won:  64
  • Birthday:  05/23/1973

Like dadda said, try cleaning all your fans and any vent holes, covers, and filters you may have on your case to make sure you good air flow.  I have not had a vid card get that hot that it cuts my internet.  You'd probably get the blue screen of death first if your card got that hot.  Anyway, post back on how you make out and go from there.  Good luck.

I have the side off and a large fan blowing on it and it still does it periodically!

• Member ID:  94
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  556
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  3770
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/03/1955

Take the card out and blow the crap out of it

• Member ID:  1566
  • Topic Count:  1152
  • Content Count:  7674
  • Content Per Day:  1.51
  • Achievement Points:  68081
  • Days Won:  8

check the fan on the graphics card that a good one that gets clogged and will slow your frames per sec down as it gets hot

• Member ID:  2048
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Topic Count:  294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  6689
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Achievement Points:  48999
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  05/30/1967

download a free program called specy and look at cpu and gpu temperatures when you think its hot ,if hot-so blow out the dust from your case.maybe put on a ceiling fan over your computer or a window fan pointing toward your air intake.usualy front bottom..and or midddle side-make sure fans turning-you can buy a can or air to blow out dust if you dont have a compressor around...gl

• Member ID:  3189
  • Followers:  94
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  5234
  • Content Per Day:  1.16
  • Achievement Points:  48754
  • Days Won:  112
  • Birthday:  12/24/1957

What makes you think your video card is getting hot, Dean?  Do you have a temp monitoring app?  If not, the one Damage mentioned is okay and has an installer that doesn't have any crapware you need to be careful of accidentally installing.  This is the download page for the free version:  http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/standard

Your graphics card is not going to cause issues with your network card unless their physical proximity is causing some bizarre heat or electrical interference problem.

Just because you have the case open and a fan blowing into it doesn't mean you need to really dust stuff off.  I just took my internet radio station down the other night and blew the dust out of it.  The CPU heatsink/fan was horribly clogged.  Surprising it ran at all, but I can't turn the thing off very often for cleaning as that takes me "off the air," so to speak.  Have to do it from time to time though, no matter what.  I also cleaned my main desktop, too.  The one I game on.  Although it had been cleaned more recently, there was a ton of dust in that one, too.  My video card isn't all that old; it's my 660TI.  When I blew it out, there was a lot of dust accumulated in it.  It even has a feature that runs the fans in reverse at high speed for 30 seconds on power-up just to back-draft accumulated dust in its heatsinks.  So it's clear that a can of compressed air is a good investment every now and then.

How old is your system.  I'm wondering about the potential for failing capacitors or voltage regulators that could be causing excessive heat problems.  But other than that, accumulated dust is about the only thing that's going to cause an unnatural temperature rise in your system.  And even that should be predictable - that is to say, if it happens one day after running for so long, it should do about the same thing the next day under similar usage conditions since the amount of accumulated dust isn't going to change enough from one day to the next.

What specifically are your temps, and when do they go nuts?

What makes you think your video card is getting hot, Dean?  Do you have a temp monitoring app?  If not, the one Damage mentioned is okay and has an installer that doesn't have any crapware you need to be careful of accidentally installing.  This is the download page for the free version:  http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/standard

Your graphics card is not going to cause issues with your network card unless their physical proximity is causing some bizarre heat or electrical interference problem.

Just because you have the case open and a fan blowing into it doesn't mean you need to really dust stuff off.  I just took my internet radio station down the other night and blew the dust out of it.  The CPU heatsink/fan was horribly clogged.  Surprising it ran at all, but I can't turn the thing off very often for cleaning as that takes me "off the air," so to speak.  Have to do it from time to time though, no matter what.  I also cleaned my main desktop, too.  The one I game on.  Although it had been cleaned more recently, there was a ton of dust in that one, too.  My video card isn't all that old; it's my 660TI.  When I blew it out, there was a lot of dust accumulated in it.  It even has a feature that runs the fans in reverse at high speed for 30 seconds on power-up just to back-draft accumulated dust in its heatsinks.  So it's clear that a can of compressed air is a good investment every now and then.

How old is your system.  I'm wondering about the potential for failing capacitors or voltage regulators that could be causing excessive heat problems.  But other than that, accumulated dust is about the only thing that's going to cause an unnatural temperature rise in your system.  And even that should be predictable - that is to say, if it happens one day after running for so long, it should do about the same thing the next day under similar usage conditions since the amount of accumulated dust isn't going to change enough from one day to the next.

What specifically are your temps, and when do they go nuts?

My mb is only about 1 yr old and my cpu is only about 3 months old. My video card is about 1 yr old. My memory is the same my cpu. the temperatures range from 18 degrees Celsius to 36 degrees when it's sitting still! My hard drive is about 1-1/2 yrs old its a 2 tb!

Edited by BigPapaDean

18 to 36 degrees C is absolutely NORMAL if not on the low side.  I have a case temp readout on the front of my box that reads the ambient internal temp in my computer, which currently reads about 21C.  Just so happens that's about what the current room temp is, so my case is cycling air pretty well.  Speccy reports my video card is currently running at 33C, my CPU at (4-core average) 48C (cpu is overclocked to 128% of rated speed) and the MoBo is reportingf a temp of 41C.  My four hard drives are reporting temps of 41, 34, 29, and 44C.  My system has been "sitting still" for nearly 2 hours as I just got back from having some dinner and watching TV for a while, and during that time, my computer was on and doing nothing.

If you're worried about 18 to 36C, you're worried about the wrong thing.

temp is not the issue with those temps-dj is correct

/glitchy/laggy/are your frames dropping??like they go down to the 20'S???cant you see your frame rate ingame?do you use a wireless mouse ?my last one caused a bunch of interference now im wired again.....background programs kicking in while in game possible??when my virus scanned kicks in i lag horrible.when i had wireless mouse the rf interference would feel like horrible lag too....

after spending about an hour with Hxtr he has convinced me it's way too much crap in the background as you said Damage. I looked and OMG there are tons of things there and he told me soon he will help me get rid of or turn muchos of those suckers off!

• Member ID:  2313
  • Topic Count:  330
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  4924
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Achievement Points:  33897
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  05/26/1974

Everything seems to be okay but every once in a while it really gets hot to the point my games get real kind of like it's glitching or laggy which makes me think I have a LAN card problem. Lately I have been noticing it and before everything was totally fine. I have cable and the highest speed they have so that's not the problem so I wanna know what you guys think! I think its so bad sometimes it cuts me off the internet too. I have called Comcast and they tell me the modem shows a strong signal. I think the LAN card is all that's left! Now to your opines!!!

your lan card got nothing to do with ur graffics running like that...if ur lan card was goin bad u wouldnt be able to connect at all...ur video card is probably goin out in most cases...dean if u wnt i can do the things hxtr suggest i have nothing plannd for today other than tournament today at 3...if u want and u have team viewer i can jump on there see what i can do for ur pc tho....if u want me to do that please send me message in xfire...im pc tech ...so i can do it for you

after spending about an hour with Hxtr he has convinced me it's way too much crap in the background as you said Damage. I looked and OMG there are tons of things there and he told me soon he will help me get rid of or turn muchos of those suckers off!

again these programs running wont necessarily make ur card run hot and kick u off internet.....if ur running win7 u can put the cpu meter gadget on ur desktop it will show ur cpu usage and ur ram usage...this will tell u if those programs are bogging down ur system as long as it not in the red these programs running will prove to not be ur issue ...just something u  can do your self...and to get add the gadget all you do is rt click on desktop select gadget menu then select cpu mete...it will look like rpm meter of car...

• Member ID:  87
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3789
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Achievement Points:  27249
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  04/02/1871

its that damn big knife you carry in game slowing you down lol :lol:

• Member ID:  755
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2191
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Achievement Points:  14309
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/14/1982

Your temps are not a prpblem here. I have idle temps of 30-35 °C (45-50 with load) CPU and round about 40 °C GPU. (60-70 with load) these temps are absolutely normal.
The critical temperatures begin with 90+

A benchmark might give you a hint where you have to look. At work we use Novabench (http://novabench.com/) for a fast diagnosis.

download a free program called advanced system care,run the free game booster program it works well...gl m8

turn on turbo boost-

Edited by Damage_inc-

download a free program called advanced system care,run the free game booster program it works well...gl m8

turn on turbo boost-

Or don't.  Sorry, Damage.  I'm not a fan of IOBit Software at all.  Their GameBooster just seemed to muck things up in my system.  It works by shutting down stuff a game doesn't need to have running, like systray interfaces to printer utilities and all manner of other things we used to call "TSR" programs (Terminate and Stay Resident.)  But in my experience, restarting them later when the game terminates can be messy and problematic.  It is frankly quite doubtful that there is any interference from other programs that are running on most computers today that have reasonable amount of memory.  Further, Windows - and this is especially true beginning with Vista - is absolutely brilliant at managing memory.  Booster programs provide little gain for way too much pain, IMHO.

And just to prove a point, I regularly play games when I have spreadsheets, docs, browsers, and all kinds of shit open.  Doesn't mess with me at all.

for mainly just gaming and browsing which most of us do it works well,but you are correct especialy if you doing major multitasking and dont wanna close or mess with other programs you rely on..good advise

turn on turbo boost-

Or don't.  Sorry, Damage.  I'm not a fan of IOBit Software at all.  Their GameBooster just seemed to muck things up in my system.  It works by shutting down stuff a game doesn't need to have running, like systray interfaces to printer utilities and all manner of other things we used to call "TSR" programs (Terminate and Stay Resident.)  But in my experience, restarting them later when the game terminates can be messy and problematic.  It is frankly quite doubtful that there is any interference from other programs that are running on most computers today that have reasonable amount of memory.  Further, Windows - and this is especially true beginning with Vista - is absolutely brilliant at managing memory.  Booster programs provide little gain for way too much pain, IMHO.

And just to prove a point, I regularly play games when I have spreadsheets, docs, browsers, and all kinds of shit open.  Doesn't mess with me at all.

i dont like using any of the iobit stuff at all...just a no no no for me lol...i even tried reg game booster that most others use...when i boost game stuff to supposedly make game run better and faster...ha that was a joke it bogged me down...with no game booster program... i can run the game with antivirus on xfire on with firefox open and hlsw running with spyware scan on i run with 44-51 ping..with game booster enable and only game and antivirus running and nothing else open or running it gives me a 70-80 ping..i just dont get it the booster suppose to help with that not make it worse...lol

well every system is different.to each his own,we all got different setups and operating systems/browsers /programs /hardware..cant hurt to try things and uninmstall if it doesnt fit your setup.works great for mine.

Of course, again, if you have anything pre-Vista, the story might be quite different.  XP couldn't really deal well with anything over 2GB, and within that kind of a constraint, a game booster might work wonders.  Most people had 32bit Vista, if they had Vista at all, and that was great up to 4GB.  64bit Win7 just took the governor right off the carb so you could go nuts with memory.  You're absolutely right, Damage.  In the right environment, a booster can be a MAJOR convenience factor.  I think by  the time you get to 64bit Win7 with anything over 4GB, you're probably just pissing in the wind with it.  Exceptions exist, but even those fade as the amount of memory increases.  It's worth the investigation, though, to see if it delivers for you.

I think this is only a sidenote to Dean's issue, though.

CB did you TeamView into his box?  What the heck is up in there?