Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Canadian Health Care

little_old_man

• Member ID:  174
  • Group:  +++ COD2 Head Admin
  • Followers:  129
  • Topic Count:  387
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  14881
  • Content Per Day:  2.78
  • Achievement Points:  91059
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  52
  • Birthday:  04/23/1970
  • Device:  Macintosh

I'm always perplexed by these types of conversations. We spend more time defending our healthcare when in reality we should be learning from each other. Most Canadians feel a sense of national pride when it comes to universal care but its bot perfect. There is room for improvement, and If we can learn a new trick or two from the UK or the French, then so be it.

so heath care in canada is totally free? you dont pay anything? must be nice.........

No we pay, through taxes which is way better then up front costs!

Yup, you pay for your neighbors healthcare through taxes & they will pay for yours.... Right?

Why not just pay for yourself?

All American needs is healthy competition in all insurance & healthcare providers and the price will come down.

No need to have a third party (Gov. Officials) to decide who pays, is there?

Oh well...

It all sounds good until you can't get permission for care....

Government permission? I'm curious who says anyone needs that...

Many Canadians come to the US for healthcare. That should tell you something.

This only happens when a certain procedure in Canada is considered "cosmedic" or the procedure isnt offered in Canada at all. Cosmedic surgery is paid for out of pocket here in Canada. Then usually if that cosmedic procedure is cheaper in the USA, then yes travelling we will go. But if it wasnt a cosmedic procedure and covered by our health system i see no reason why a Canadian would travel to the USA for healthcare.

Then I guess heart surgery is considered "costmetic" and Newfoundland premier Danny Williams wanted it done by the best in the US. :whistle:

It's funny Steve, this story is used over and over by individuals on both sides of the border to argue against universal care when in reality it has nothing to do with it. Do you know the true circumstances behind why he sought care in the US?

I don't know all the facts but I recall that Premier Williams is a very independently wealthy individual who wanted the best care from a specific cardiac physician who just happened to practice in the US. Now Premier Williams could have had this care and procedures done in Toronto with no waiting period but he chose care from this particular Doctor.This is just like you and I, you may drive across a city to see your doctor rather than the one down the street.

So this is no a question of care but rather certain media outlets misinforming the public to justify their own political desires.

• Member ID:  3174
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  100
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2162
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Achievement Points:  17423
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/24/1957

so heath care in canada is totally free?  you dont pay anything?  must be nice.........

We have premiums each month to pay for our health insurance here in Canada.  It's not totally free... i pay approx 120$ per month for health insurance.  When i was burrned in the begining of may, I was hospitalized for almost a month and my insurance covered everything.  Other than my monthly premiums, i paid nothing.  I was in one of the best burn units in the world, and still i paid nothing extra.

Everyone HAS to pay premiums.  Not having health insurance is NOT an option in Canada.  Everyone is required to pay the premiums.  There are programs set up for the low income people, where the government covers their premiums as well.  Premiums are for the most part deducted off our pay cheques. 

There is no perfect system, but I think ours is going to be about as good as it can get.  Yes there are wait times; but emergencies are dealt with quickly.  And yes we take free healthcare as a right in Canada. 

Oh, and thanks for that little did LOM, nice story though!

• Member ID:  971
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  526
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  3690
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/08/1973

All i can say is that  i wouldn't want to be the one to explain to my five year old Daughter or son why they couldn't get some Chemotherapy treatment or a heart transplant because you lost your job or Couldn't afford the health insurance or even some fucking insurance company decided they were not going to cover the cost. 

You might have better Doctors and less waiting time grant you and that's awesome.  But i think i feel for comfortable knowing that  we ALL have a equal right to see a doctor or get special care regardless if your poor or not .

• Member ID:  1194
  • Followers:  40
  • Topic Count:  436
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  6692
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Achievement Points:  53094
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  04/15/1960

This only happens when a certain procedure in Canada is considered "cosmedic" or the procedure isnt offered in Canada at all. Cosmedic surgery is paid for out of pocket here in Canada. Then usually if that cosmedic procedure is cheaper in the USA, then yes travelling we will go. But if it wasnt a cosmedic procedure and covered by our health system i see no reason why a Canadian would travel to the USA for healthcare.

Then I guess heart surgery is considered "costmetic" and Newfoundland premier Danny Williams wanted it done by the best in the US. :whistle:

It's funny Steve, this story is used over and over by individuals on both sides of the border to argue against universal care when in reality it has nothing to do with it. Do you know the true circumstances behind why he sought care in the US?

I don't know all the facts but I recall that Premier Williams is a very independently wealthy individual who wanted the best care from a specific cardiac physician who just happened to practice in the US. Now Premier Williams could have had this care and procedures done in Toronto with no waiting period but he chose care from this particular Doctor.This is just like you and I, you may drive across a city to see your doctor rather than the one down the street.

So this is no a question of care but rather certain media outlets misinforming the public to justify their own political desires.

Yep I know the story Terry. He needed a valve replacement and he couldn't have it done in Canada without them cracking his ribs and chest open with a long recovery period. He found a cardiac doctor in Florida that could do it with a 2 inch incision under his arm. I'm not blaming the guy for doing it, but to say that Canadians "only" cross the border for medical procedures for cosmetic reasons is just plain wrong.

Yes we pay through the nose down here but I can be in practically any US city and get immediate state of the art medical care. There is something to be said for that.

Yep I know the story Terry. He needed a valve replacement and he couldn't have it done in Canada without them cracking his ribs and chest open with a long recovery period. He found a cardiac doctor in Florida that could do it with a 2 inch incision under his arm. I'm not blaming the guy for doing it, but to say that Canadians "only" cross the border for medical procedures for cosmetic reasons is just plain wrong.

Yes we pay through the nose down here but I can be in practically any US city and get immediate state of the art medical care. There is something to be said for that.

That's correct, some Canadians do cross the border for more than just cosmetic procedures and I also agree that there is something to be said about a country that can offer procedures such as these. As I said before, Williams could have had the exact procedure done in Toronto with little to no wait but he chose to go to the US. Yes,  the norm for cardiac care on both sides of the border is more evasive which he chose not to take.

Like yourself Steve, I'm not critical of either system on this subject but when pundits use this case as ammo when in reality they are only lying to you to make their point.  Being in Healthcare giving me a prospective that most don't get to see and I'm just as critical of the holes in this system as I was of my years in the US. I only do this so we could both improve our care, nothing more.

Good post Guys.

Edited by PimpedOutPete

• Member ID:  220
  • Followers:  147
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  16950
  • Content Per Day:  3.17
  • Achievement Points:  129713
  • Days Won:  120
  • Birthday:  04/05/1970
  • Device:  Windows

Ok guys, before this turns into a heated debate, it was a joke. If you read the link it has aboslutely nothing to do with Canadian healthcare. A man was born blind, fell down some stairs, broke some bones in his face, and the doctors fixed his eyes at age 68 and he can now see. It's really an amazing story and my little jab at Canadian healthcare was just a joke.

So lighten up people.

When I was in Canada I asked to get a bend and cough check up. Took no more than 5 minuets to be seen. 

Ok guys, before this turns into a heated debate, it was a joke. If you read the link it has aboslutely nothing to do with Canadian healthcare. A man was born blind, fell down some stairs, broke some bones in his face, and the doctors fixed his eyes at age 68 and he can now see. It's really an amazing story and my little jab at Canadian healthcare was just a joke.

So lighten up people.

When I was in Canada I asked to get a bend and cough check up. Took no more than 5 minuets to be seen. 

Oh Hxtr, brothels don't count as doctor's offices.

• Member ID:  2465
  • Group:  +++ Minecraft Head Admin
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  170
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1818
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Achievement Points:  14559
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  04/17/1972

So lighten up people.

Lmao, and for the record brothels ARE NOT covered by healthcare  :whistle:

So lighten up people.

Knowing Hx, he most likely claimed it to his HMO... putz!  :stuart:

• Member ID:  51
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Followers:  51
  • Topic Count:  342
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5974
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Achievement Points:  45818
  • Birthday:  06/26/1949

So lighten up people.

Should be covered under physical therapy... :) :)

Awards

So lighten up people.

I'm sure it was theraputic for Hxtr to a "certain" degree.  I think most US insurance companies have a claim code for a hot oil rub & tug.

• Member ID:  822
  • Followers:  87
  • Topic Count:  317
  • Content Count:  5477
  • Content Per Day:  1.04
  • Achievement Points:  42632
  • Days Won:  20
  • Birthday:  03/01/1967

So lighten up people.

Well, who cares, you can't sing, you can't dance, but you walk like Rihanna, right? lol   :offtopic:

• Member ID:  822
  • Followers:  87
  • Topic Count:  317
  • Content Count:  5477
  • Content Per Day:  1.04
  • Achievement Points:  42632
  • Days Won:  20
  • Birthday:  03/01/1967

So lighten up people.

I'm sure it was theraputic for Hxtr to a "certain" degree.  I think most US insurance companies have a claim code for a hot oil rub & tug.

Pete's hoes are probably abused and underpaid but they are covered under the Pimps insurance corporation of Canada..and brothels are covered lol

• Member ID:  113
  • Group:  ++ COD2 Admin
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  156
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1295
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  8353
  • Birthday:  07/11/1969

Wow , I cannot multi-quote any more sheesh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB9Z21Yo7dg

Edited by LittleTooT

• Member ID:  1444
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  412
  • Content Count:  3808
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  25299
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/01/1988
  • Device:  Android

LOM you devil :devil:​ , starting a topic like this  :wallbash:  :lol: , you need a good beating(we all know you like it rough you hound dog you)  :popo:  hahaha  ;)

Edited by Cimon

• Member ID:  582
  • Group:  ++ COD2 Admin
  • Followers:  20
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  361
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  3272
  • Birthday:  11/22/1956

There is one set back to Canadian health care and that is that most general practitioners are here as a stepping stone to a bigger city, country or specialize. I have family on both sides of the border and after discussions I have come to the understanding that if your a doctor and don't want to work your ass off, you will make much more money in the US. If you choose to live in Canada you better specialize in a field. I live in a small town and I gave up on the local doctor because they would only be here for a short while and if it wasn't for their laptop they wouldn't know anything about me. (because local records are passed on to the next doctor) I think the USS Enterprise had the best system, the doctor was an American but the guy in charge was a Canadian (William Shatner)

There is one set back to Canadian health care and that is that most general practitioners are here as a stepping stone to a bigger city, country or specialize. I have family on both sides of the border and after discussions I have come to the understanding that if your a doctor and don't want to work your ass off, you will make much more money in the US. If you choose to live in Canada you better specialize in a field. I live in a small town and I gave up on the local doctor because they would only be here for a short while and if it wasn't for their laptop they wouldn't know anything about me. (because local records are passed on to the next doctor) I think the USS Enterprise had the best system, the doctor was an American but the guy in charge was a Canadian (William Shatner)

HEADSHOT   :horse:

• Member ID:  3791
  • Followers:  48
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  846
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Achievement Points:  8884
  • Birthday:  09/29/1970
  • Device:  Android

Soooooo like Hockey, Health Care is another thing Canadians take fanatically serious. Gotcha. Hey Old Man quit poking the bear!

• Member ID:  220
  • Followers:  147
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  16950
  • Content Per Day:  3.17
  • Achievement Points:  129713
  • Days Won:  120
  • Birthday:  04/05/1970

So lighten up people.

Not my HMO my HOMO.... I dropped my HMO a long time ago and came out of the closet. 

Soooooo like Hockey, Health Care is another thing Canadians take fanatically serious. Gotcha. Hey Old Man quit poking the bear!

Taking Health Care Serious, what a stupid notion.      :wallbash:

• Member ID:  1965
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  1176
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  8599
  • Birthday:  02/11/1969

L.O.M is a pot stirrer....he loves the controversy....lol....don't let him fool you with ...this isn't meant to be political....he wants to move to Canada.

L.O.M is a pot stirrer....he loves the controversy....lol....don't let him fool you with ...this isn't meant to be political....he wants to move to Canada.

Actually it really did just start off as a joke. What didn't occur to me was that all of you idiots wouldn't read the link that I put in the original post and think I was serious.

Canada is on my list of favorite places to live right behind Iran and Afghanistan. :lol: 

• Member ID:  20166
  • Topic Count:  611
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  7652
  • Content Per Day:  1.98
  • Achievement Points:  53663
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  10/16/1946

My cousin Pierre LeQuois in Montreal has been waiting 18 years for his penis enlargement surgery.